Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM

152 posts, read 495,216 times

Advertisements

I'm considering the sale of my downtown condo and was wondering if anyone has had good luck using a flat fee MLS service. It seems to me that it'd be worth it to pay the approximately $299 fee to get the property listed on the MLS - not to mention the possible savings of thousands of dollars to a listing agent who'd basically be doing the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 12:41 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,034 times
Yes, it's worth it.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:53 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
The downside is no realtor will sell your house; no commission unless you state it. You have to do your on own comp work, hold an open house. prequalify the buyer, show the house, write the contracts, negotiate the sale, hire the lawyer to read the title, open an escrow account, do all the inspections, and hold your own Closing.

What I learned in 2007 is a well placed 4-color ad in the newspaper is cheaper and generates more interest. A DYI sale is a short course in Real Estate. I wish you great luck.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:55 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
PS: A listing agent does a lot more for the 7% than just list your house in MLS.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,095 times
It worked for me selling a $640,000 condo in the loop. We offered a 2.5% commission to the buyer's broker. As long as someone is there to receive the buyer, it works very well.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:52 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,352 times
ChicagoDan. Flat fee MLS is great. You set the commission for the buyers broker (I wouldn't go less than 2.5% personally and 3% would be better).

In Illinois it is customary for each party to have an attorney and the closing will take place at a title company office. The buyer or his agent will schedule an inspection if they choose to have one. Your attorney can handle any aspects of the contract with which you aren't comfortable (most likely the buyers broker will present the initial contract to you).

As long as you have the time on your hands to show the unit many many times (which can be mind boggling in the market), you should be fine.

p.s. During your selection process for a flat fee MLS broker, I would review some of their current listings on other online sites which capture the MLS (realtor.com might be a good one).

Last edited by soulful; 03-19-2012 at 02:27 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagodan View Post
I'm considering the sale of my downtown condo and was wondering if anyone has had good luck using a flat fee MLS service. It seems to me that it'd be worth it to pay the approximately $299 fee to get the property listed on the MLS - not to mention the possible savings of thousands of dollars to a listing agent who'd basically be doing the same thing.
If your condo is in good condition and you can handle the other aspects of selling it, I think a flat fee MLS listing is definitely worth the money. In the past I've used various for sale by owner websites and honestly, they are completely worthless. The only calls I ever get from those sites are from Realtors that want to list my house (and are too lazy/stupid to check and see that it's already listed on the MLS anyway, plus I AM a Realtor).

If you list it in the MLS, the buyers agents will walk them through the property. In order to make that easier for both the buyers agents and yourself, I would recommend buying a lock box (they're available on Amazon for around $20) and putting a set of keys in it. Then, when someone calls to show the property, you just give them the lock box code and leave when they will be coming. It makes buyers more comfortable if you're not there, IMO.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 PM

152 posts, read 495,216 times
Thanks to all for the great feedback. I've decided to give it a go and will report back with results.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,101 times
Be careful with Flat Fee MLS, I've been a flat fee MLS Listing Broker since 1998, and there is a huge difference between Flat Fee Brokers. There are lots of scary flat fee listing websites out there, some websites look scary, other websites look really good, the scary part is when you look at their customer reviews.

The simplest and best advice is don't pay for a flat fee MLS unless you have seen 20+ customer reviews on that company. Any established flat fee MLS website should have tons of reviews. Make sure those reviews are on a website where a complaint can be posted and not removed (as in, not on the company's own website). If they can't show you reviews, run, don't walk, away!

Fixed Commission listings in the Realtors MLS are a great way to save money but I've seen people get burned trying to get the dirt cheap cheapest listing possible, they end up with an inferior brokerage and don't have a successful sale (so it doesn't save them any money).

Some of the worst providers have the fanciest and best looking websites, and claim to be the "biggest" for sale by owner websites. So be very, very careful. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:33 PM

528 posts, read 712,572 times
I sold my condo with the $299 flat fee service. Basically tons of realtors see your ad on the MLS and either call you or your listing to schedule a viewing. They fax the offer to the same agent who forwards them to you. It is really simple. My condo was in like new condition, so it was very smooth transaction. I did not even bother getting a lawyer.

Only thing I recommend is having some experienced realtor see your place and give you tips on what to improve, i.e new paint, carpet etc.. Also better if the realtors can call you to schedule showings rather than through the listing agent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago