Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:59 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Aha - from eating straight to more eating and drinking! This is really shaping up to be a fantastic weekend.
Yup, that's what life's about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 12:07 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Cabs are plenitful in the areas you will be visiting.

Hot Dougs for weiners:

Hot Doug's

or Superdawg for a classic experience:

Superdawg® drive-in

Hopleaf for beer:

Hopleaf • Uptown, Chicago

Resi's for a beer garden and good German food:

Resi's Bierstube - North Center - Chicago, IL

Someone else will have to chime in on the Polish food. Have a nice trip!
might want to take note of this criteria

"we don't want to go anywhere where we have to push someone away to get to the bar"

hopleaf is a bad suggesetion and hot dougs is always mugged, esp on weekends.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:30 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
might want to take note of this criteria

"we don't want to go anywhere where we have to push someone away to get to the bar"

hopleaf is a bad suggesetion and hot dougs is always mugged, esp on weekends.
You're right, both get very busy. Go to Hopleaf around 5-6PM and you will have no issue getting a drink or a table.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:34 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
1) cabs are everywhere. It's easy in a busy area to catch a cab by just going on the street.
2) It's less expensive to take the train if you can, but whatever you want. Cabs are more expensive, but still easy if you get in one.
3) Hot Doug's is great, but be prepared to wait in line for a very long time. This is a pretty famous place, and honestly, I've been there when the line was ~2 hours. Kuma's Corner which has awesome burgers is a few blocks away too, but the wait there can be really long too. If you want to go to Hot Doug's, I would recommend getting there 30 minutes before the place opens (I think that would be 10:30am).
4) Someone said Xoco. YES. It's a Rick Bayless place (who is a famous chef if you don't know) and awesome, awesome. Seriously recommend this place. you might have to wait in line if you want to eat there because the seating is very limited, but you will not be let down by this place. It's very good. If you don't want to wait in line, then get it to go and you could get it pretty fast.

If you like really spicy food, then get the Cochinita Pibil (has habenero in the sauce). if not, get the Ahogado, choriqueso, pepito, etc or pretty much any other torta. The Caldos are great too..especially the seafood one. They have awesome churros and their "hot chocolates" are awesome - they grind their own cocoa beans.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/xoco-chicago?start=240

Old 04-09-2012, 12:52 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
4) Someone said Xoco. YES. It's a Rick Bayless place (who is a famous chef if you don't know) and awesome, awesome. Seriously recommend this place. you might have to wait in line if you want to eat there because the seating is very limited, but you will not be let down by this place. It's very good. If you don't want to wait in line, then get it to go and you could get it pretty fast.

If you like really spicy food, then get the Cochinita Pibil (has habenero in the sauce). if not, get the Ahogado, choriqueso, pepito, etc or pretty much any other torta. The Caldos are great too..especially the seafood one. They have awesome churros and their "hot chocolates" are awesome - they grind their own cocoa beans.

XOCO - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
Thanks for the recommendation, but we already have reservations at Bayliss' other place, Frontera Grill.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:14 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Check out LTH forum: LTHForum.com • Index page. Tons of restaurant info. Are you looking for Polish food because you like it, or because there are a lot of Poles in Chicago? I am Polish-American and it's not anything I would seek out - so heavy. If you want to get filled up cheap, you can definitely do that.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Mom of 2 Kids View Post

State/Pearson....there's a "dive" hot dog place with great hot dogs (I can't remember the name right now) over there on the Loyola campus
J's Dawg (or is it J Dawg's?)

Old 04-09-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, but we already have reservations at Bayliss' other place, Frontera Grill.
Cool. Well if you want him for lunch another day, go to Xoco ;-)

Old 04-09-2012, 01:40 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Check out LTH forum: LTHForum.com • Index page. Tons of restaurant info. Are you looking for Polish food because you like it, or because there are a lot of Poles in Chicago? I am Polish-American and it's not anything I would seek out - so heavy. If you want to get filled up cheap, you can definitely do that.
Polish food because we both miss our grandmothers' pierogies!

Old 04-09-2012, 01:57 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
My grandma gave me a lesson years ago and she measured in actual teacups. I'm pretty sure you can find tons of info on the best Polish restaurants on lth forum - those people are obsessive about food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: