Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:12 AM

3 posts, read 6,178 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My husband and I will be relocating to Chicago this summer (corporate transfer) and are going to be looking at properties in various city neighborhoods, including Roscoe Village.

We currently have 2 cars and would ideally like a place that includes garage parking for both of them. However, I've seen (online- not yet in person) a few places that look really nice but with garage parking for only 1 car.

How difficult is it to find parking in RV? We are NOT interested in having to endlessly circle the block to find a parking spot! (Not that anyone is- but we would just choose another property if that were the case!)

The addresses are 3038 N. Leavitt, 2858 N. Damen, 2938 N. Damen and 2048 W. Belmont (in case that makes a difference).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 07:58 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Parking is tight in Roscoe Village and getting even TWO off-street spots (let alone a two car garage...) can raise rents by a considerable amount. If you both NEED cars to get to work the smarter move may to the areas a bit further west or nearer to the University of Northeastern Illinois where parking is easier (though then you do give the walkability of Roscoe Village -- hard to have BOTH walkability and car friendliness...)
If you can rely on the El for at least one of your jobs it probably makes sense to consider selling one of the cars.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Yeah, if one of you commutes with public transportation, dump one car. Zipcar for those rare times you need two cars.

Having a car in the city is like having a rock attached to your leg. It's a lot of money and hassles.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:31 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiecat View Post
Hi everyone!

My husband and I will be relocating to Chicago this summer (corporate transfer) and are going to be looking at properties in various city neighborhoods, including Roscoe Village.

We currently have 2 cars and would ideally like a place that includes garage parking for both of them. However, I've seen (online- not yet in person) a few places that look really nice but with garage parking for only 1 car.

How difficult is it to find parking in RV? We are NOT interested in having to endlessly circle the block to find a parking spot! (Not that anyone is- but we would just choose another property if that were the case!)

The addresses are 3038 N. Leavitt, 2858 N. Damen, 2938 N. Damen and 2048 W. Belmont (in case that makes a difference).

Thanks!
I didn't realize south of belmont was considered Roscoe Village, but when I lived there and had a car (2000 block of School St), parking was pretty easy 90% of the time.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
^^ Ha. I think they just call that regular ol' Lake View.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I've heard Costco North.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Too far west for that. Though if it can be called part of Roscoe Village, I suppose it can be considered part of Lakeview too.

Anyway, the Damen Avenue addresses put you a stone's throw if not right across the street from public housing, albeit probably the least problematic public housing in all of the CHA housing inventory... but occasionally chaotic nonetheless. Plus Damen and Belmont have the added detraction of being major thoroughfares which means parking can be that much more difficult and maybe even outright banned on one side and then the other during rush hour.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:42 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
It's called West Lakeview by many, even though technically I think it's in North Center.

The latest and IMO most appropriate name for the area is Hamlin Park, as at least said park is right there & it's a pretty colossal center of activity.

Regarding parking, I had the opposite experience of jdiddy when we lived on George (2900 N) just east of Damen.

Parking was maybe OK if you're coming home from work, will park and then not use your car again. But if you're trolling for a spot after 8 or 9 pm it was terrible, especially in the winter. Hard to imagine it's gotten any better.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:55 PM

118 posts, read 194,287 times
The banners on the light posts on Diversey west of Ashland and East of Damen say Roscoe Village. It caught me a little bit by surprise.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:56 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWaterhouse View Post
The banners on the light posts on Diversey west of Ashland and East of Damen say Roscoe Village. It caught me a little bit by surprise.
I'm sure the Roscoe Village business folks would love to claim this nook as it would probably double the size of the neighborhood, but that's a stretch IMO.

Then again, maybe all those folks on the Paulina "Millionaire's Row" and in that semi-private community between Paulina and the Metra tracks would rather be in Roscoe Village than West Lakeview.

Not sure how one is particularly better (or as Drover pointed out, more accurate) than the one. I generally don't see RV applying to the area south of Belmont, as I don't see how Roscoe itself isn't subordinate to Belmont for all practical (and commercial) reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago