Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:33 AM

355 posts, read 1,046,977 times

Advertisements

I read this condition that allows the LL enter a unit and it is ambiguos at best. From the wording I tend to think that the LL actually has to give notice for every single time he wants to enter the property. In that case, the LL may enter the apartment with or without the tenant present.

I understand he has a business to run, but having him trampling over my privacy is not by any means correct.

How early can the LL confirm is the lease will be renewed? If it is 30 days, that should enough time to find someone else.

After the LL gives the notice, the tenant is bound to let the LL enter the apt regardless of being there or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 02:05 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

How else is a landlord suppose to show the property?
I've used realtors in the past and many have told me that they can't schedule showing for that day b/c they need to give the residents at least 48 hours notice. Others have specific days they can show a specific place.

Seems like it would be far easier to set up specific days and times (e.g., Saturdays between noon-5pm, Wednesday afternoons) and give the tenant proper notice vs. risk potential lawsuits b/c you let the cat out/something was stolen/something broke while the tenant wasn't present b/c you the LL didn't give proper notice.

It seems to me, legalities aside, giving proper notice would just be the simplest, common sense thing to do as a landlord. I see zero reason to not only put more pressure on the tenant by being able to pop in whenever (egads, what if she engages in a little bit of afternoon delight? Or even something as simple as coming out of a shower naked?) but also risk more liabilities due to missing or broken items/missing pets (at least a LL can argue that he gave proper notice if something turned up missing). We have cats ourselves, along with a big ol' pit bull (who is, albeit, often in a kennel when we're gone) and if any of our pets got loose b/c the LL or realtor just entered the apartment w/o notice, there WILL be hell to pay. And of course, we will bear zero responsibility if crazy, hyper Bella jumps up on you to say hi and knocks you down in the process. Never mind the hell I would rain down if something expensive like a Macbook or hard drive went missing or was damaged.

Plus, if I was looking for an apartment to rent, I wouldn't want to view a dirty place and I would also feel a bit suspicious about a LL who just pops in on his tenant w/o notice (or allows realtors to do so). I want to move somewhere I would feel comfortable living in and if the current tenant feels uncomfortable w/ the process, it would give me pause.

Honestly, in all the years I've rented in Chicago, I never had a landlord who wasn't willing to notify me ahead of time, even if the most notice they could give me was two hours, two hours is better than just walking in w/o warning. Then again, w/ the exception of one major prick, my landlords have mostly been reasonable and professional and one was a downright sweetheart.

Last edited by eevee; 05-11-2012 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-19-2012, 06:22 PM

84 posts, read 110,196 times
"How else is a landlord suppose to show the property?"

gee, I don't know? Maybe follow the LAW & give 48 hour notice to the tenent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: