Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 10:47 AM

5 posts, read 4,765 times

Advertisements

Male
Single
24 yrs old
from Atlanta

Currently looking at a career opportunity in Mr Prospect (585 Slawin Court, Mount Prospect, IL 60056) and the position will require me to travel 50% within the zone. However, I am planning to get a place closer to the city, also have a reasonable commute. Would like to live somewhere with good amount of young professionals, somewhat like a equivalent of buckhead in Atlanta..... Thinking about a high rise with the view and something affordable. Any suggestions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 01:23 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,452,690 times
Does not seem like the OP has a realistic understanding of the desirable parts of Chicago that are a tolerable distance from Mt. Prospect. You would need to be close to the Kennedy (which run parallel to the Blue line out to O'Hare) and there are no "views" from there.

Similarly if you really want to mix with young professional in Chicago you should realize that most such folks are NOT going to be living in shiny glass towers surrounding fake 'urban renewal' shopping malls but in more traditional neighborhoods where they can walk to the El or take a bus to their jobs in the Loop.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:33 PM

5 posts, read 4,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Does not seem like the OP has a realistic understanding of the desirable parts of Chicago that are a tolerable distance from Mt. Prospect. You would need to be close to the Kennedy (which run parallel to the Blue line out to O'Hare) and there are no "views" from there.

Similarly if you really want to mix with young professional in Chicago you should realize that most such folks are NOT going to be living in shiny glass towers surrounding fake 'urban renewal' shopping malls but in more traditional neighborhoods where they can walk to the El or take a bus to their jobs in the Loop.
Yea, i see your point. I guess im looking for somewhere that's in between MT Prospect and the downtown area with a good amount of young professionals... Not necessarily in the heart of Chicago.......

Old 02-06-2015, 01:54 PM

Default Well that is more realistic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuandy23 View Post
Yea, i see your point. I guess im looking for somewhere that's in between MT Prospect and the downtown area with a good amount of young professionals... Not necessarily in the heart of Chicago.......
Places like Roscoe Village are relatively accessible to the Kennedy and have LOTS of young professionals, kind of pricey and more buildings probably less than 5 stories than over.

A bit more affordable and still developing you could look in Logan Square -- things are very "hot" in the real estate market and there are some taller buildings but mostly an abundance of tradional Chicago owner occupied and rental buildings of just three stories or so...

If you really crave "views" you might end up with a MUCH worse commute in a high rise filled with old widows in Roger Park / Edgewater or paying a HUGE some of dough to be near the big commercial nightclubs and terrible commute to River North...

Old 02-06-2015, 06:05 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,958,988 times
Depends on what you can put up with for a commute, but I agree for places along the Kennedy if you really want to do this. Logan Square or Wicker Park if you want a hipper area that is still full of many "professionals." Roscoe Village for that but real laid back.

I'm also not sure what Chet means by taller buildings in Logan Square. I can't name a single building over 7 stories there (though there's a proposal right now for two 14 story buildings near a train stop there. But of course they aren't built and haven't even been approved yet). The height of buildings in Logan Square is the same as Roscoe Village in reality. Outside of the areas within a reasonable distance to the lake, there aren't that many high rises in the city (I'm talking about buildings over 10-12 stories).

Old 02-06-2015, 06:20 PM

7< 5

Old 02-06-2015, 09:02 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,958,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
7< 5
I was throwing a random safe number out. Most buildings in Logan Square just like most parts of Chicago are in the 2 to 4 stories high range. Anybody who's familiar with Logan Square can tell you this. The average building height between the two neighborhoods/areas is about the same.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:35 PM

Default I agree...

And I somehow I thought 7!<5 would convey the "joke" -- really unless somebody wants to live in someplace like Edgewater or River North or a Gold Coast / Streeterville /near Loop high rise the idea of "views" is going to have to be tempered by the reality that none of those locations are conducive to commutes to even suburbs that are relatively "close in"...

I think too often the folks looking to move here assume Chicago is some sort of "Midwestern Manhattan Island" where everybody lives in a sky scraper and takes the 'subway' to work. That is not accurate, even folks livings in the high rises that line stretches of Lakeshore Drive are very likely relying on buses to get to work and the total number of units that are in high rises is a fraction of the units in three flats and other traditional style buildings that probably do not even an elevator let alone a "view" of anything...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago