Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 11:34 AM

303 posts, read 579,017 times

Advertisements

I live in Chicago all my life and Im always learning something new. I been to doing to some research on trying to find the day population of The Loop. I want a correct number because different sources give me different numbers.

Question two: Is River North is considered Chicago's second business district ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 12:00 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
River North largely blends into the both the traditional Loop and the broader North Loop / North Michigan Ave area so I would have a hard time saying it is a "second business district". The area(s) near O'Hare both along the Kennedy and adjacent to the airport probably are second in employment density to the core of the Loop, but given the widespread economic impact of retail and entertainment that happens in Lakeview my hunch is that dollar impacts are greater there than anywhere beside the broader Loop...

The commercial real estate in the Loop generally has the capacity for about 500,000 workers but currently the numbers are probably closer to 300K -- - Chicago Sun-Times

Old 07-04-2012, 12:09 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
There's always been smaller business corridors going North, West, and South of the loop. People think of them as parts of the central business district, even though they are distinct in some ways. This is probably because there isn't a huge gap between them like there is in New York, only a short hop across the river to the North and West and across Congress Pkwy on the South.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:58 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
I think it is important to keep the terms "downtown" and CBD (central business district) separate. back in the day, of course, the Loop served as both, the only true center.

but in the years after WWII, Chicago developed a far greater downtown, something that was referred to as a "Super Loop" at the height of the expansion era. Today's enlarged downtown is characterized by its density and as much life style as business and residential.

and within it are a number of communities...some business, some residential, some a mix. I'd say that there is pretty much agreement that downtown runs from North Avenue on the fringe of Lincoln Park down the lakefront to McCormick Place. West it goes westward from Greektown, for sure, arguably to the United Center and the Med Center. Much of these boundaries would be enclosed if the CTA is ever able to go head with its Circle Line.

The most heavily business oriented parts of the super downtown area outside the Loop include its most natural extension, the west loop across the river that includes the two metro stations (Union, Ogilvie) that make it a business haven. but the near north side (Streeterville, Michigan Avenue, River North) have more than their share of big business (the riverfront portion of all three being business oriented and, like the west loop, an extension of the Loop itself). I would say that that Streeterville and North Michigan Avenue have more so than River North which was the latest to convert to more downtown functions when Michigan Avenue rents (particularly on art studios) rammed up the value of the decaying (but still classical) warehouses of River North which then grew and built anew in an interesting mix of old an new. North Michigan Avenue's Mag Mile has long been the home of traditional downtown business activities like newspapers and advertising.

The South Loop, IMHO, remains the least big business oriented of the outward expansions.

What's interesting in Chicago as compared to New York is that in the later, the growth of business that couldn't be accommodated in the original downtown (and the downtown that gave all downtowns their names since it was and is Lower Manhattan) and had to jump a considerable amount of real estate to establish a beachhead in what was to become Midtown, a place that would soon enough well overtake the size of downtown. the move, I believe, was needed as Midtown had the bedrock base that the skyscrapers needed and that were missing in the space between it and lower manhattan.

Chicago, of course, went a different route and saw its core expand outward, a far different model that linear Manhattan experienced. In fact, Chicago remains the ultimate "concentric circle" city.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:47 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,447 times
Well, if you consider Roosevelt part of the CBD and South Loop , the businesses did greatly expand during the last decade.. the retail corridor on the Western End ( Canal and West) added large Retail outlets ( Big Box, Supermarkets ..) to add to the smaller retailers already there.. from that perspective , that part of the South Loop was very business oriented, just not 'office business' ..

Old 07-05-2012, 06:14 AM

17 posts, read 42,880 times
The problem with Chicago is everyone wants to own some kind of stuffed exotic animal and have it displayed over their fireplace

Old 07-05-2012, 06:57 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy463 View Post
The problem with Chicago is everyone wants to own some kind of stuffed exotic animal and have it displayed over their fireplace
Definitely, just look at this animal over a fireplace:

Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 PM

303 posts, read 579,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Lol

Old 07-10-2012, 06:31 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

Is this your frontroom? Looks pretty tasteful to me, and I'm being dead serious. That pinata is a nice touch.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:41 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Is this your frontroom? Looks pretty tasteful to me, and I'm being dead serious. That pinata is a nice touch.
That's actually pinata #2. I've had a pinata as part of my decor since about 2001, but pinata #1 got its leg broken by the sister of the cat on the couch and so I did what you do to horses/burros who break a leg - I put him down. Both pinata #1 and pinata #2 came from Las Pinatas on Wells Street in Old Town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago