Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 08:02 PM

26 posts, read 94,133 times

Advertisements

New to this forum, and looking for same advice. I am looking to move from South Florida to either Chicago or Houston in the next 3-6 months. The main reason I want to move is to better my employment situation in Finance/Accounting as I have a B.A on Accounting and some experience, and looking to get a masters soon. I am 29 single, own a car and honestly looking for a change as I have lived in FL for over 12 yrs.

Important selling points:
-dating: mainly latinas ??
-COL: HOU?
-Weather: HOU?
-Public Trans: CHI? I want to get rid of my car
-People: friendly?

I feel like Chicago offers a big city feeling with a good transportation system and lower COL than NYC. While HOU has a strong economy with Dallas and SA close by, and lower COL.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I am aware that it would be ideal to have a position lined up before moving, but I am willing to take my chances as I have some savings to make it for 6-9 months and I will be willing to do other jobs before I find what I am looking for.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 08:38 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latindude_83 View Post
New to this forum, and looking for same advice. I am looking to move from South Florida to either Chicago or Houston in the next 3-6 months. The main reason I want to move is to better my employment situation in Finance/Accounting as I have a B.A on Accounting and some experience, and looking to get a masters soon. I am 29 single, own a car and honestly looking for a change as I have lived in FL for over 12 yrs.

Important selling points:
-dating: mainly latinas ??
-COL: HOU?
-Weather: HOU?
-Public Trans: CHI? I want to get rid of my car
-People: friendly?

I feel like Chicago offers a big city feeling with a good transportation system and lower COL than NYC. While HOU has a strong economy with Dallas and SA close by, and lower COL.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I am aware that it would be ideal to have a position lined up before moving, but I am willing to take my chances as I have some savings to make it for 6-9 months and I will be willing to do other jobs before I find what I am looking for.

Thanks
Chicago probably has the strongest consistent economy of any city in the US or up there with NYC. There are numerous sectors here and in history, Chicago has re-invented itself when things in the US or industries have gone south. As far as for your industry, Chicago is probably the 2nd strongest in the nation in finance behind NYC. Pretty much any major investment bank, bank, etc in NYC has a prescence in Chicago. Not only that, but Chicago has the largest options exchange in the world (Chicago Board Options Exchange). There are also four other exchanges here like the Chicago Stock Exchange, Chicago Mercantile Exchange, etc.

Houston is more energy based of course and some biomed as well but not as diversified as Chicago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Chicago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Houston

As far as your selling points?
- Latinas - Chicago area (MSA) has the 2nd highest Mexican population of any MSA in the US after Los Angeles. Over 25% of people here are of Latin origin and almost 60% of foreign born people here come from Latin America. Houston is 44% of the city, although the whole area might be a little less. Needless to say, both areas have a ton of Latinas...

- Cost of Living - Houston is overall cheaper paying for everything, but you have to think of more here. Houston might have lower housing, but you have to drive everywhere. I sold my car when I moved to Chicago and have barely even needed one. I pay $70/month max for public transit (because I ride the train 5x/week).

Figure if you get a $1000/month 1 bedroom on the north side of Chicago versus say $600/month in Houston. In Chicago, you don't need a car really if you live in many areas. In Houston, you do absolutely need a car. $100/month for insurance, $100/month or more for gas, $300 or more a month for car payment...So that's $500 and you actually end up paying just as much if not more for housing + transportation than Chicago if you didn't own a car. There are tradeoffs.

For stuff like food, there's a ton of restaurants in Chicago and many are affordable. Groceries aren't much different in Chicago vs. Houston. Both places it's not hard to find groceries which aren't necessarily through the roof.

Weather - It all depends on what you want. Houston is pretty much hot and humid a lot of the time. The weather doesn't change too much. Chicago has 4 seasons. The summers here are amazing. Awesome weather (hey, it was in the upper 80s and even 90s here this weekend) and everyone is out all summer (into September), and the vibe is awesome. There are beaches here too...and a giant lake... Winter is cold, but not too bad. You are coming from Florida though so it might be a little colder to you. If you get a warm coat/jacket, scarf, and gloves, you would get used to it after awhile. Last winter luckily here wasn't bad. I think we had maybe a max of 5 days with snow on the ground. Usually it's not like that, but compared to other northern states, Chicago isn't as cold (i.e. vs. Minneapolis, Des Moines, etc).

If you don't want to feel cold weather/snow ever, then I'll give that one to Houston.

Public Transit - Chicago without a DOUBT. Easily the 2nd best transit system in the US next to NYC. We have 8 different train/subway lines that run all over the city and over 100 different bus routes. Not only that, but there's numerous Metra lines which serves numerous suburbs in the area (and even Wisconsin) and Megabus to go between other cities.

For example, here's a map of the train system:
http://www.rususa.com/city/images/train_chicago.gif

People - People are friendly in both places. Chicago might be a city like NYC, but the people are much nicer overall unless you cross them of course. I've never had a problem with people in Houston, but in my own experience, people in Chicago are a little more open minded.

There's a lot of other intangibles too. Entertainment, music, clubs (if you club, there's many here attracting big time DJs), festivals, etc. As my Uncle from NYC pointed out when he visited here for the first time, he said each neighborhood reminds him of a different large city in the US.

I've been to Houston a few times, and while the city is fine, I find it boring AF. Considering what's going on here in Chicago, I would never consider moving to Houston unless I had a really high paying job. This is my honest opinion. IMO if you want a change, I'd come take a visit to Chicago (in the summer). Houston will be like Florida lite. Just a big suburban, warm area. Chicago is an actual *city* (like NYC).

Truly though, I'd take a visit to both cities to see which one you actually like. Every person likes different things and I'm just telling you my own opinions. If you don't have time or just want to research whatever, here's a video that was actually made for all the NATO leaders and delegates from every country. It's a little bit pimping the city, but what do you expect? You should be able to get a little feel at least of a few things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtCV4fQqYIY

Last edited by marothisu; 05-20-2012 at 09:22 PM..

Old 05-20-2012, 09:08 PM

Also, based on your username and what you asked about dating, I'd imagine the latin population would be important. I don't know the country your heritage is of, but here's some counts from the latest census for the city itself.

Chicago:
Mexico - 578,100
Puerto Rico - 102,703
Cuba - 8331
Dominican Republic - 2737
Costa Rica - 681
Guatemala - 17,973
Honduras - 5021
Panama - 883
El Salvador - 5204
Argentina - 1743
Bolivia - 626
Chile - 876
Colombia - 7547
Ecuador - 15,466
Paraguay - 101
Peru - 4075
Uruguay - 267
Venezuela - 1121
Spain/Spanish - 4870

Houston:
Mexico: 673,093
Puerto Rico: 9290
Cuba: 7663
Dominican Republic: 1876
Costa Rica: 923
Guatemala: 25,205
Honduras: 32,807
Nicaragua: 4226
Panama: 1076
El Salvador: 75,907
Argentina: 2440
Bolivia: 958
Chile: 934
Colombia: 10,226
Ecuador: 1557
Paraguay: 119
Peru: 3237
Uruguay: 642
Venezuela: 3770
Spain/Spanish: 8692

Old 05-21-2012, 02:40 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
I cant stand Houston. Houston is not a city for city people. Its a 9-5 city with nothing going on down town. You have to drive everywhere. Im so glad we didn't end up living there.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:58 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,863,758 times
I've only been there a couple of times, but it is hard for me to see how someone could live in Houston without a car. I live and work in Chicago and don't have a car and don't miss it at all.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:43 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
I dont miss it either. Well, I was t boned a few weeks ago and the car is still at the shop. I don't miss it one bit.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM

Ditto. It frees up $$ not owning a car too. Pretend your rent in Houston is $500 and you have to have a car. $100 for car insurance a month let's say, $375 for car payment or lease per month (study average), and about $150/month for gas (in the middle of an average). That might be $625 for a car (maybe $550 if you're paying for a "lower quality" car) you don't own, but pay for, per month. No you're up to $1125 (maybe $1050), which you can easily get a 1 bedroom in a great neighborhood in town with tons going on without needing a car in Chicago.

There's always intangibles. People will see these very low rents in Houston vs. Chicago, but they don't realize you can ditch your car and still be completely fine here and after awhile, it could end up being similar or even more for Houston if you're leasing or paying for a semi new car.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:55 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
It is hard for me to understand how a city with a 2.1M population in an area smaller than Fulton County, lliinois is going to disappear in a puff of smoke at 5pm? I am more inclined to believe the business district which is often 9-5 M-F does just that. But a port city? I just don't believe it.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:38 PM

26 posts, read 94,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Chicago probably has the strongest consistent economy of any city in the US or up there with NYC. There are numerous sectors here and in history, Chicago has re-invented itself when things in the US or industries have gone south. As far as for your industry, Chicago is probably the 2nd strongest in the nation in finance behind NYC. Pretty much any major investment bank, bank, etc in NYC has a prescence in Chicago. Not only that, but Chicago has the largest options exchange in the world (Chicago Board Options Exchange). There are also four other exchanges here like the Chicago Stock Exchange, Chicago Mercantile Exchange, etc.

Houston is more energy based of course and some biomed as well but not as diversified as Chicago

Economy of Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Economy of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as your selling points?
- Latinas - Chicago area (MSA) has the 2nd highest Mexican population of any MSA in the US after Los Angeles. Over 25% of people here are of Latin origin and almost 60% of foreign born people here come from Latin America. Houston is 44% of the city, although the whole area might be a little less. Needless to say, both areas have a ton of Latinas...

- Cost of Living - Houston is overall cheaper paying for everything, but you have to think of more here. Houston might have lower housing, but you have to drive everywhere. I sold my car when I moved to Chicago and have barely even needed one. I pay $70/month max for public transit (because I ride the train 5x/week).

Figure if you get a $1000/month 1 bedroom on the north side of Chicago versus say $600/month in Houston. In Chicago, you don't need a car really if you live in many areas. In Houston, you do absolutely need a car. $100/month for insurance, $100/month or more for gas, $300 or more a month for car payment...So that's $500 and you actually end up paying just as much if not more for housing + transportation than Chicago if you didn't own a car. There are tradeoffs.

For stuff like food, there's a ton of restaurants in Chicago and many are affordable. Groceries aren't much different in Chicago vs. Houston. Both places it's not hard to find groceries which aren't necessarily through the roof.

Weather - It all depends on what you want. Houston is pretty much hot and humid a lot of the time. The weather doesn't change too much. Chicago has 4 seasons. The summers here are amazing. Awesome weather (hey, it was in the upper 80s and even 90s here this weekend) and everyone is out all summer (into September), and the vibe is awesome. There are beaches here too...and a giant lake... Winter is cold, but not too bad. You are coming from Florida though so it might be a little colder to you. If you get a warm coat/jacket, scarf, and gloves, you would get used to it after awhile. Last winter luckily here wasn't bad. I think we had maybe a max of 5 days with snow on the ground. Usually it's not like that, but compared to other northern states, Chicago isn't as cold (i.e. vs. Minneapolis, Des Moines, etc).

If you don't want to feel cold weather/snow ever, then I'll give that one to Houston.

Public Transit - Chicago without a DOUBT. Easily the 2nd best transit system in the US next to NYC. We have 8 different train/subway lines that run all over the city and over 100 different bus routes. Not only that, but there's numerous Metra lines which serves numerous suburbs in the area (and even Wisconsin) and Megabus to go between other cities.

For example, here's a map of the train system:
http://www.rususa.com/city/images/train_chicago.gif

People - People are friendly in both places. Chicago might be a city like NYC, but the people are much nicer overall unless you cross them of course. I've never had a problem with people in Houston, but in my own experience, people in Chicago are a little more open minded.

There's a lot of other intangibles too. Entertainment, music, clubs (if you club, there's many here attracting big time DJs), festivals, etc. As my Uncle from NYC pointed out when he visited here for the first time, he said each neighborhood reminds him of a different large city in the US.

I've been to Houston a few times, and while the city is fine, I find it boring AF. Considering what's going on here in Chicago, I would never consider moving to Houston unless I had a really high paying job. This is my honest opinion. IMO if you want a change, I'd come take a visit to Chicago (in the summer). Houston will be like Florida lite. Just a big suburban, warm area. Chicago is an actual *city* (like NYC).

Truly though, I'd take a visit to both cities to see which one you actually like. Every person likes different things and I'm just telling you my own opinions. If you don't have time or just want to research whatever, here's a video that was actually made for all the NATO leaders and delegates from every country. It's a little bit pimping the city, but what do you expect? You should be able to get a little feel at least of a few things.

Welcome to Chicago, NATO - Full Length - YouTube
Thank you marothisu, well detailed input you provided. I am planning on visiting both cities this summer and I will make a decision then. I like Chicago's big city feeling, efficient transportation system, and low housing costs but I am not sure about its higher taxes, and extreme weather. I guess no place is perfect.
Nice video!

Last edited by latindude_83; 05-21-2012 at 10:09 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latindude_83 View Post
Thank you marothisu, well detailed input you provided. I am planning on visiting both cities this summer and I will make a decision then. I like Chicago's big city feeling, efficient transportation system, and low housing costs but I am not sure about its higher taxes, and extreme weather. I guess no place is perfect.
No problem. I'd say Houston has lower housing, but with the car factored in..yeah it's possible for them to be similar in price depending on where you live in Chicago.

Anyway, yeah, there's a 5% income tax in Illinois. Texas doesn't have it, nor does Florida so you'd have to get used to that I guess. That could end up being a few thousand a year depending on how much you make. Sales tax shouldn't be as bad. Chicago is higher, but only by 1.25% (9.5% vs. 8.25%) so you're spending an extra $1.25 per $100 spent here versus Houston.

Weather, yeah, it can get cold especially if you're not used to it. I know people who move here from all over including Saudi Arabia, southern California, etc who have gotten used to it. Hell, my dad is a former surfer/beach bum from Los Angeles and he's been in Minnesota where the winters are MUCH worse than Chicago, since the mid 70s. Some people can get used to it, some don't.

Chicago is a city city. I can walk out of the front door to my building and walk for miles on end and run into stores, restaurants, bars, etc allllll over. Good idea to visit in the summer though. Don't hesitate to ask any questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago