Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:07 PM

18 posts, read 35,177 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I may be condo-hunting in a couple of years depending on how some family and financial matters shake out, and I'd like to start sorting out options a little--I like to plan ahead

I'd be looking at Rogers Park and West Ridge, or maybe a little further south.

For a number of reasons an upper floor wouldn't be good for me. I have a family member who doesn't do well with stairs, that's the main thing. The heat in summer drives me nuts and it would be worse on higher floors, that's another. And then I play the piano and when I manage to do my exercise routine at all, I do it early in the morning, so I'd rather not have neighbors below me to disturb. I was thinking a garden condo in an older building might be good, but after reading a discussion here from a few years ago (bugs, dim light, potential flooding), I'm thinking maybe not.

So now I'm thinking, what about a first-floor unit in one of those small to medium-sized buildings from the sixties and seventies? There are a lot of them around Rogers Park. They mostly don't seem to have basements at all, and the ground floors are at or very close to ground level. That would be good for my family member (and for moving in the piano). But I don't have any experience with buildings of that vintage. Were the materials and construction practices still good at that time? How about energy efficiency and soundproofing? And would there be water or other problems I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 12:19 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
It is hit or miss and has less to do with the "materials" than the maintenance (or lack of it) and wear and tear than some building owners ignore. Forty+ years of even little old lady tenants is going to mean that faucets drips, toilets might need two flushes and if the A/C or heat is been patched up instead of replaced you will be uncomfortable on the hottest and coldest days. Condos / apartments are also lot like cars in that what used to be "high end luxury" 40+ years ago is now pretty standard on current mid-level (or even econobox) units. Microwaves, dishwashers, disposers(which may or may not be technically against code inside Chicago depending on how the building connects to the sewer (grease traps vs direct), remote intercoms, etc were pretty rare for smaller buildings until recently...

If you are not going to be shopping for a few YEARS the current short supply of rentals may very well reverse and nicer units may be more plentiful.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:25 PM

Thanks, those are useful points to keep in mind. I agree that maintenance is vital. When I said I wasn't experienced with that vintage, I probably should have clarified that I'm not used to buildings that *new*--in the decades since college I've lived in places from 50 to 80 years old, mostly. So doing or catching up with basic maintenance wouldn't faze me as long as the basic structure is sound and as long as big structural problems haven't been neglected.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
I don't feel like there are many buildings from the 60s and 70s in Rogers Park or West Ridge except for the corridor along Sheridan Road. Which structures are you speaking of?

Old 07-12-2012, 04:23 PM

There's a current listing at 7133 N. Damen, for example, and I think there are some in the 1300 to 1500 blocks of Jarvis and Sherwin; and then there are the Bell-Oaks condominiums, I think they're called, just south of Lunt between Oakley and Bell. Those are the ones that come to mind at the moment. There seem to be a fair number. They aren't big complexes for the most part and they don't necessarily jump out at you when you're passing through the neighborhood.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:48 PM

183 posts, read 338,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheLake View Post
Hello all, I may be condo-hunting in a couple of years depending on how some family and financial matters shake out, and I'd like to start sorting out options a little--I like to plan ahead

I'd be looking at Rogers Park and West Ridge, or maybe a little further south.

For a number of reasons an upper floor wouldn't be good for me. I have a family member who doesn't do well with stairs, that's the main thing. The heat in summer drives me nuts and it would be worse on higher floors, that's another. And then I play the piano and when I manage to do my exercise routine at all, I do it early in the morning, so I'd rather not have neighbors below me to disturb. I was thinking a garden condo in an older building might be good, but after reading a discussion here from a few years ago (bugs, dim light, potential flooding), I'm thinking maybe not.

So now I'm thinking, what about a first-floor unit in one of those small to medium-sized buildings from the sixties and seventies? There are a lot of them around Rogers Park. They mostly don't seem to have basements at all, and the ground floors are at or very close to ground level. That would be good for my family member (and for moving in the piano). But I don't have any experience with buildings of that vintage. Were the materials and construction practices still good at that time? How about energy efficiency and soundproofing? And would there be water or other problems I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
In a word: CRAP. Don't do it. I lived in these many years ago. Cheaply made.
Flimsy. NO SOUNDPROOFING. PAPER MACHE WALLS.
Your neighbors will want to murder you when you play piano because it will sound to them like you are in their living room.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:22 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Fire codes in Chicago, especially for multi-family housing, have always been among the strictest in the nation. Regardless of whether the place was built in the pre-WWII era or more recently "paper-maiche" has never been allowed to seperate units. I agree that heavier plaster walls and concrete block construction are more effective than thinner walls in blocking sounds but I ave found the vast majority of apartments built during the 1960's - 70's inside Chicago to have at least that level of fireproofing...

Perhaps in other cities / suburban areas the quality of materials did drop off in that era but I have not found that to be true in Chicago.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
I think there are people who would never consider those buildings because they are so darn ugly, so that could affect your resale.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
The post WWII housing construction had a drastic change. Thousands of soldiers were coming home and buying houses thanks in part to the GI Bill. It began, at least where I live, an era of prefabricate rafters and walls and cookie cutter two bedroom houses called "pre-fab". Drywall replaced plastered walls. Cheap and fast on a slab was the mantra. There is still a surprising number of those hoses that exist across America. Yes, older houses can have their issues, but the older house with paster walls and natural wood is a good investment if the house has good bones. Older houses have character that the newer buildings do not.

The only way to find out is a inspection by a licensed Home Inspector. These inspections do not reveal hidden mold or radon -- something that empty buildings often hide. Mold remediation can often cost more than what one pays for the property. Homes that sit on the ground sometimes invite termites. And basements do flood. When that happens you sometimes see a water mark on the walls. I would not put a put a piano in any basement without heat and air because basements are notoriously damp. This may be true in Chicago, but it true in central Illinois -- partly because there is a lot of water sources and high humidity.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:19 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Fire codes in Chicago, especially for multi-family housing, have always been among the strictest in the nation. Regardless of whether the place was built in the pre-WWII era or more recently "paper-maiche" has never been allowed to seperate units. I agree that heavier plaster walls and concrete block construction are more effective than thinner walls in blocking sounds but I ave found the vast majority of apartments built during the 1960's - 70's inside Chicago to have at least that level of fireproofing...

Perhaps in other cities / suburban areas the quality of materials did drop off in that era but I have not found that to be true in Chicago.
I seem to recall that the reason so many four-plus-ones were built in the '60s and '70s was that the Chicago fire code was much stricter for buildings that were more than five stories tall. Therefore, if the builders kept to a maximum of five stories, they could get away with using cheaper materials. Or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago