Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2006, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,836 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are likely moving to Chicago from Charlotte, NC. He will be working Downtown and we are trying to stay within a 45 minute commute by train. We are thinking of either a house in the suburbs (at least 3br/2ba- $400-500k) in the burbs, or a similar condo closer in. Schools are also important, as we have a child in 4th grade. Our hope would be to get in an established neighborhood close to schools, shopping, train (like everyone else!).

Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 12:42 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
You may want to try the Wheaton area. It's a great community with good schools. I think it's about that long on the train. Anywhere in that area in the west suburbs is nice. I also think the north suburbs are nice, too.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:17 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
I hardly think that one can make such a sweeping judgement about a city or a state, all places have their good points and their bad points, Chicago and Illinios included.

...just curious, being that your location is "chicago", do you include yourself amongst the 'crapheads'? or is that distinction reserved for the rest of us?

Old 11-02-2006, 01:28 PM

21 posts, read 45,850 times
I am a doctor at Northwestern in downtown I live in Kenilworth on the North Shore. Chicago is the greatest city in the the world. I used to live in Myers Park, coincidence.

I reccomend Evanston, IL on the North Shore it has great schools, fast cta and pace transportation, and a thriving downtown for itself. It is home to Ivy League Northwestern University. It is beautiful and it has stately lake front mansions. a single family home with 3BR and 2 BA will run $750,000

Also try nearby Wilmette, Glenview, Skokie, and Lincolnwood.

I love Chicago and Illinois so what if its corrupt our politicians don't represent us.

Vote Tony Peraica President of the Cook County Board November 7th!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:43 PM

413 posts, read 832,939 times
First thing you should really think about is whether you want to live in the city or not. For 450K you can get a pretty decent condo like a 3BR duplex in a pretty good north side neighborhood. Upsides will include short commute, walkable neighborhood and all the amenities of the city close by. Downsides will include questionable schools, condo vs. SFH, and a little less safety. Don't expect to get shot or anything, but also don't leave your car unlocked and expect its contents to still be there. Wealthier people are starting to stay in the city and keep their kids in public school but they are still in the minority. Do you want to be a bit of a pioneer and send your kid to a pretty mixed income schools with some problem kids or the relative comfort of a good suburban school?

personally I'd be OK with sending my kid to a public school up until grade 8 and then hope they get into one of the good magnet schools. But that is just me. And I don't have a kid so its really just speculation.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:48 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
FYI this thread start almost 6 years ago..

Old 08-03-2012, 08:09 AM

413 posts, read 832,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
FYI this thread start almost 6 years ago..
That's weird. How did this thread end up at the top of my screen. I didn't go seek it out.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:49 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
That's weird. How did this thread end up at the top of my screen. I didn't go seek it out.
Maybe something was deleted that was right above yours -- a vendor post of some kind perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago