Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 02:57 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times

Advertisements

Let me put it another way - if Moreno had actually filed to change the zoning after they bought/leased the property to something prohibitive, that would be discriminatory. In this case, the restaurant didn't do its homework and they're a bunch of morons for selecting a spot they weren't immediately qualified for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 02:58 PM

130 posts, read 170,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Me too, we don't need a drive through chain chicken sandwich restaurant here.
But that's not what this is really about. As I said, if an alderman (who represents his constituents) decides to veto a proposed "chain chicken sandwich restaurant" because it doesn't fit with the aesthetics of the neighborhood or will lead to a traffic nightmare, I am fine with denying the request. But Moreno has gone further and said that he will not allow Chik-Fil-A in Logan Square because of the owner's views on gay marriage, and then he just cavalierly dismissed the First Amendment.

Do you not see why that's wrong? Or are you just happy with the end result (no Chik-Fil-A in LS) no matter what the underlying reason for it is?

Old 07-25-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Lundegaard View Post
But that's not what this is really about. As I said, if an alderman (who represents his constituents) decides to veto a proposed "chain chicken sandwich restaurant" because it doesn't fit with the aesthetics of the neighborhood or will lead to a traffic nightmare, I am fine with denying the request. But Moreno has gone further and said that he will not allow Chik-Fil-A in Logan Square because of the owner's views on gay marriage, and then he just cavalierly dismissed the First Amendment.

Do you not see why that's wrong? Or are you just happy with the end result (no Chik-Fil-A in LS) no matter what the underlying reason for it is?
He isn't - he can't - ban them from the 1st Ward, regardless of what he thinks. But he doesn't have to give them special treatment either.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:06 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:

Personally, I never have or will spend a cent at the place. And I am happy Proco won't grant them the zoning change.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:13 PM

130 posts, read 170,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
He isn't - he can't - ban them from the 1st Ward, regardless of what he thinks. But he doesn't have to give them special treatment either.
I agree that he doesn't have to give them special treatment. Fine. But he does have to give them fair treatment. Under pretty basic First Amendment law, as a government actor, he can't make a zoning decision based on the constitutionally protected speech of Chik-Fil-A's owners. In the main Chicago Tribune article, it was stated pretty clearly that Moreno was going to block Chik-Fil-A because of their views on gay marriage and gays. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but this is not allowed under the First Amendment.

(And for the record, I believe Chik-Fil-A's views on gay marriage are wrong and I am 100% in favor of allowing gay marriage. On the other hand, I find despicable a politician -- whether on the left or the right -- who is willing to use his or her position to discriminate against the free speech of others in violation of the Constitution.)

Old 07-25-2012, 03:28 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I suspect that Proco is looking for a way to a get a different resturant interested in the site. Maybe he wants a nice drive-thru Starbucks or a Panera to locate in the parking lot of the Home Depot and this looks like a good way for him to put the kibosh on the objections of loud mouth activists that don't want nothing there...

Poison the succes of the fundamentalist chicken sandwich folks, steamroll the objections of neighbors, line up a gay friendly restuarant chain you look like a genuis . Rahm should worry about Procco...

Old 07-25-2012, 03:31 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I suspect that Proco is looking for a way to a get a different resturant interested in the site. Maybe he wants a nice drive-thru Starbucks or a Panera to locate in the parking lot of the Home Depot and this looks like a good way for him to put the kibosh on the objections of loud mouth activists that don't want nothing there...

Poison the succes of the fundamentalist chicken sandwich folks, steamroll the objections of neighbors, line up a gay friendly restuarant chain you look like a genuis . Rahm should worry about Procco...
I think the neighbors don't want the chicken sandwich chain.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I agree that he doesn't have to give them special treatment. Fine. But he does have to give them fair treatment. Under pretty basic First Amendment law, as a government actor, he can't make a zoning decision based on the constitutionally protected speech of Chik-Fil-A's owners. In the main Chicago Tribune article, it was stated pretty clearly that Moreno was going to block Chik-Fil-A because of their views on gay marriage and gays. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but this is not allowed under the First Amendment.
I totally get what you're saying, but I think Moreno left himself plenty of legal wriggling-room in terms of his actual comments.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:41 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree a business should be OK to open any legitimate establishment where they want and pay (within reason). This case is a little worse. Let me state it this way, and the way I'm going to state hopefully you don't take it the wrong way because it's a more severe case.

Pretend you have a CEO who's said some things about Jews and said out loud he's a Nazi sympathizer. First amendment. Do you think there wouldn't be a huge uproar if the same guy tried to open up a business in a city like Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, etc? I guarantee you there would be, and essentially this is much on the same page as that could be.

Not only that, but the Alderman is essentially saving their company from making a bad business investment. Chick Fil-A on Chicago Avenue works because it's fueled by people visiting town who are in the area. A lot of the traffic is by tourists. Get away from the tourist area, such as Logan Square, and you will see less of that, and more people not supporting certain business for political reasons, ESPECIALLY in a progressive area like Logan Square. CFA could probably get away with opening another location in the Loop or even Wrigleyville, but not a place like Logan Square or near it. Not many people are going to support it, certainly not as many as the Chicago Ave location or even close.

Like I said before, let the market determine what will succeed and what won't. Hiding behind the idea that you agree with Moreno and therefore, he's actually doing CFA a favor is silly. This is simply political grandstanding by Moreno.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:47 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default I suspect that the complainers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I think the neighbors don't want the chicken sandwich chain.
...don't want the Home Depot either! The vast majority of folks in Chicago would probably LOVE any fast food resturant that has a drive thru...

(and too many of 'em probably like cheddarwurst and other gross stuff, but that is an entirely different thread..._
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago