Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:36 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times

Advertisements

I went into two upscale stores to shop for something. (Macy's and a jewelry store downtown).

Both places I encountered a bougousee (spelling) attitude like in Pretty Woman movie when she went shopping to a Beverly Hills CA store, but not dressed like a rich woman. She got snubbed. The sales people I encountered were not busy, there were no other customers taking their time, but either I was dressed too casually for their taste - in a gray short sleeve t-shirt and casual pants, or else because they perceived me as too overweight to want to wait on me, because I am not a skinny person. I clearly got the attitude that they didn't want to wait on me, but little did they know, I had lots of money to spend. I wasn't acting like I was a shoplifter, or a hobo or anything like that. I guess I was too common-looking maybe, thats why I say they are bougousee. But in Chicago???

So do you think some upscale stores have this attitude or was it just my own perception. When I have to drag info out of the sales person for the item I want, that is a bad sign. When 4 sales people are sitting on chairs, and you come in the store, and they don't even look at you, or act anxious to want to help you, this tells me they might not want to wait on me. OK I did not look like a homeless person, nor a criminal, maybe just casually dressed, so what is up with this? Do I need to wear furs and jewelry and Versace in these stores?

So have you had any of these bougeousee (spelling) experiences? Or do i need to dress up to shop downtown and along North Michigan Ave? You would think in this economy that stores would - if they could - give better service. I was talking to a waiter later that day and he said that service in stores is now less prevalent, and you can't find people more willing to be helpful in stores.

So maybe since I don't shop much, things have changed and customer service has gone down the terlet - as Archie Bunker would say. What do you think? And if its me, let me know what I am doing wrong. I have a feeling I better find my crown jewels to wear next time. Someone ought to do a hidden camera experiment and see if this is true, maybe a student could for a social science class, or maybe Channel 5 or Pam Zeckman ought to do a report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:40 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,576,737 times
bourgeoisie

Macy's is a mid-priced department store

upscale stores have never catered to looky-loos

Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Since when is Macy's upscale? Lol.

Anyway, yes some do, some don't. There are some stores that are very good about it like Sak's Fifth Avenue with most of the workers at least in the men's store. Barney's is a little eh, but some other stores like Gucci, some of the workers are completely arrogant and will completely judge you depending on how you look at the time. I know a second hand story where it's bit them in the ass too. Like $30,000. Burberry is so so with this too, but I think the Giorgio Armani store is probably the worst I've been to as far as that's concerned.

Not all of the stores are like that though. I think though many workers start out that way. I have a friend who used to be like that, who was completely humbled when they judged someone who ended up dropping $10,000. He realized right then that it's completely pointless to judge someone without talking with them.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,210,608 times
No store wants to waste time on anyone who isn't planning to spent money. You'd think in this day and age, though, and especially in the Midwest, they'd know that somebody being overweight and wearing a t-shirt does not always mean they don't have money. Sounds like their loss, financially speaking. I would probably not return to a store that did that to me, unless I had many good experiences there and the bad one was an isolated event. You might report it to managers. They probably don't want employees who cause them to lose money.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:04 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,576,737 times
Like it or not most stores probably make more money than they lose acting like this....hyper wealthy style snobs don't want to shop around poor looking people.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Like it or not most stores probably make more money than they lose acting like this....hyper wealthy style snobs don't want to shop around poor looking people.
Sure, at extremely high end boutique stores that only cater to the "hyper wealthy," but at Macy's? I would imagine their management would not be happy about their employees turning away potential paying customers.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
LOL depends on the person. There are some hyper rich people who don't care, believe it or not. My friend is good friends with the CEO of a big investment firm. He says his friend wears crappy tshirts and jeans/shorts when he's not working and you'd think he was making $30,000/year even though he's worth a few hundred million. I have a few family members who are the same way, CEOs, although not worth a few hundred million, are still worth a lot, and are extremely down to earth and buy their clothing at places like Macy's. You'd never know they were multi millionaires unless they told you. Even Sam Zell is a complete biker apparently.

There are a lot of people who have money who don't flaunt it and don't act like complete snobs about it. It's not so much about being around poor looking people. It's about being around people who act like complete idiots, and there's a lot of people no matter how much they make who don't want to be around complete idiots.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Sure, at extremely high end boutique stores that only cater to the "hyper wealthy," but at Macy's? I would imagine their management would not be happy about their employees turning away potential paying customers.
You'd be surprised. A lot think they are big time experts in the clothing industry even though 75% of the brands at Macy's are medium range stuff and nowhere near high end, and the people have never had any other job in the retail industry. Go into Zara too, they are masters at ignoring everyone. I'm not sure if it's because they're all lazy though.

The best service by far is at Sak's Fifth in Chicago in my experience. They will bend over backwards to find things you like, and some of those guys are complete pros at suggesting things.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
LOL depends on the person. There are some hyper rich people who don't care, believe it or not. My friend is good friends with the CEO of a big investment firm. He says his friend wears crappy tshirts and jeans/shorts when he's not working and you'd think he was making $30,000/year even though he's worth a few hundred million.
Yeah, but those aren't the type of really rich people who shop at the snobby stores, anyway. It's generally the people who want everyone to know they're really rich. Oftentimes they really aren't, of course, but they're still going to dress as if they are to go into one of the snobby stores.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
bourgeoisie

Macy's is a mid-priced department store

upscale stores have never catered to looky-loos
Interesting.
Wonder if this is regional.
I have walked into Porsche, BMW, and Ferrari dealerships here in nothing but shorts, tevas, and a t shirt. I have been to Neimans and Tiffany's dressed in jeans and a t shirt. I never wear make-up outside of special occasions. I wear my wedding ring, another simple ring on my right hand, and my watch (Tag or Rolex, but very low key looking). I am quiet, friendly, and verrrry laid back.
I have been given $100k plus cars to drive around 'to see if I liked it.'

And except for one place (the nearby Mercedes dealership), I have never ONCE not been taken seriously or given crap or ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: