Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 4,966 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I sure could use your help. I'm a single female and will be moving to Chicago next month with my dog. I'll be working in the downtown/loop area. I'd love to find a 6 month lease so I can get to know the area and then find a more permanent residence. I'll often be running at night/late evening and it would be ideal to live in a large apartment complex that has a 1 or 2 mile area, road, or running loop around it or in it. I know places like this exist, but without being there, it's a long search. My budget is 1,500 a month or less and an hour commute is fine. The quieter, less mayhem, less noisy the area, the better.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you have.

- Ann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 02:08 PM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerchick View Post
Hi everyone.

I sure could use your help. I'm a single female and will be moving to Chicago next month with my dog. I'll be working in the downtown/loop area. I'd love to find a 6 month lease so I can get to know the area and then find a more permanent residence. I'll often be running at night/late evening and it would be ideal to live in a large apartment complex that has a 1 or 2 mile area, road, or running loop around it or in it. I know places like this exist, but without being there, it's a long search. My budget is 1,500 a month or less and an hour commute is fine. The quieter, less mayhem, less noisy the area, the better.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you have.

- Ann
Most people run the lakeshore. You can use mapmyrun.com or a wrist GPS to see how far your runs are. Is this not an option? Like, do you want a private track for some reason?

Two things are going to make your search a little more difficult.
1. Finding a 6 month lease - Can you do a year instead?
2. Your dog

Also, a one hour commute and your budget gives you the option of almost anywhere in the city. Is a studio or 1 bedroom okay? Do you want to be around single 20 somethings? Single 30 somethings? Single 40 somethings? Do you drink?

Just trying to help you find your perfect place is all.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:09 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
You might have better luck finding a gym that has a running track.. You can even run to the gym.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:15 PM

ChicagoMeO - thank you for the suggestion and I do enjoy the gym, I was just looking for a solution for me and my dog outdoors for the times it got dark early (like winter).

ChiGuy2.5 - Great questions and thank you for your help. No, I don't need a private track, just looking for a safe, close, option for running after dark. I run every day with my dog. It's always dark after work in winter, so it's awesome to have an option right around where I live. I previously lived in an apartment complex in which the road around it (inside the community) was 2 miles, so it was safe and accessible anytime.

A year lease is fine too. Totally understandable. As you mentioned, I read that most people run lakeshore. Is it safe to run there after dark? To answer your other questions, 40-somethings would be awesome, and yes, I do drink.

On a different note than apartment complexes, I noticed quite a few very affordable ($700 to $900) rental homes with fenced back yards north of Edgewater all the way up to Lake Forest. Thoughts on the areas?

Thanks so much.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:40 PM

hey there! i just went to the website: Craiglist (for chicago). i clicked on the search for apartments, and put in "running track" a bunch came up. well one of them downtown has a running track but it is $3,400 for rent a month. but you might put in a Google search for chicago apartments, and then put in "running track" and see what comes up.

You could live near the Ballys (now its called LA Fitness) on Diversey and Clark (2800 N Clark) and they have apartments all around, for your price range, and they have a running track. you could be literally across the street and go running.

Also im not sure but downtown in the 60611 (Streeterville) area is the McClurg Court building. They have in their building for residents only what used to be a healthclub, i bet they have a running track, since it was a real gym.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:44 PM

I just googled Chicago IL Apartments, running track and apparently they have a lot of them. The Aqua building, the Grand Ohio building, all downtown, but the rents might be too expensive. It might be better to live in the neighborhood right within a block from the gym, i.e. LA Fitness on 2800 n clark, or something like that. just google and stuff will pop in.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:15 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
The lakefront path is still well traveled and safe at night - up to, say, 10 pm or so.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:28 PM

jdiddy - That is so great to know! Thanks for the info. As a runner, it's really important to know stuff like that. Having an 18 mile stretch remain a safe option for a majority of the evening means that whole area is a great living choice for me! I had no idea.

ChicagoMeO - good stuff. I plan on spending a chunk of time on craigslist this evening and will take a look.

I'm generally a pretty fearless person, but for single women, moving to any unfamiliar city can be a bit intimidating at first. Forums like this help tremendously. Thanks again.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:09 PM

968 posts, read 2,666,783 times
Anything with an indoor running track might have a problem with the puppy joining you for the run ...

Old 08-30-2012, 07:13 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Last time I was in Aqua, I'm pretty sure I saw a running track, but I'm pretty sure Aqua is out of your budget. The thing is....running track in an apartment complex? Most places are NOT going to have that. The complex has to be big, and you're probably only going to find it downtown. Most likely the place will be newer, meaning it's going to cost you more than $1500/month for things.

Honestly, it would be better/cheaper to just join a gym with a running track or utilize the path on the lake front when it's warm out if you don't mind running outdoors. Look at the East Bank Club. It's near the Brown Line. You could easily pay under $1000/month on the Brown Line north of downtown and pay whatever for EBC, which is a very good and very big athletic club.

Buuut also, all of my friends who run marathons don't even go to run at a gym except for in the winter. They're always training on the path on the lake front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago