Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2007, 07:35 PM

450 posts, read 1,906,447 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions about Chicago lifestyle... thanks for being patient with me. I've asked a few before, but I have a few new questions....

As a 30-something, single non-smoker who is very allergic to smoke... will I be able to avoid smoke? Not just in bars/restaurants, which I know will be smoke-free soon.. but will be people be understanding? It sounds like a dumb question, but when I lived in Minnesota a few years ago, I got a lot of comments like "don't be a wimp" -- and I've never had reactions like that in Colorado, California, or Nebraska.

Also... how "easy" is daily life there? In California, everyone's so sue-happy and paranoid that it really affects day to day life. Getting wanded or patted down for sports events and even minor concerts, seeing 65-year-olds getting carded for buying a beer, security staff who have a Napoleon complex at too many public venues... is Chicago better? I haven't been there in a few years, so I don't know if what I see is modern American society or simply modern California society!

Also, how tough would it be for someone like me to meet other 30-something singles? Living in the city is an option, but so is living in the suburbs. What areas/suburbs would be best for a single male sports fan who is a hockey nut, enjoys casual bar and grill environments, is allergic to smoke, and enjoys meeting and getting to know people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 11:56 PM

36 posts, read 245,373 times
Funny question. Yes Chicago is more relaxed. It seems to me that there are fewer random ordinances in Chicago. People smoke, at least until 2008. People do get carded, but not 65 year old men. I can walk my dog on the beach and even on Navy Pier without being hastled by police. People are friendly. For instance, if you see someone in trouble on the street you ask them if they are OK or if they need help. It's very normal in Chicago to ask someone that appears lost if they need directions. Waiters and waitresses are more friendly. Lots of "how ya doing?" "are having a nice day?" "thanks for coming, see you soon" etc. etc. BUT people in Chicago tend to hang out in big groups of college or neighborhood friends. It can be difficult for someone from New York or Los Angeles, if they're used to constant networking types, to adjust to the Chicago attitude. People are friendly, but not overly eager to make new friends. Life in Chicago four times easier than New York and two times easier than LA - just my guess. I've lived in all three cities, and Chicago really lured me in with quality of life and variety of cultural amenities.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:22 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,512,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
I have a few questions about Chicago lifestyle... thanks for being patient with me. I've asked a few before, but I have a few new questions....

As a 30-something, single non-smoker who is very allergic to smoke... will I be able to avoid smoke? Not just in bars/restaurants, which I know will be smoke-free soon.. but will be people be understanding? It sounds like a dumb question, but when I lived in Minnesota a few years ago, I got a lot of comments like "don't be a wimp" -- and I've never had reactions like that in Colorado, California, or Nebraska.

Also... how "easy" is daily life there? In California, everyone's so sue-happy and paranoid that it really affects day to day life. Getting wanded or patted down for sports events and even minor concerts, seeing 65-year-olds getting carded for buying a beer, security staff who have a Napoleon complex at too many public venues... is Chicago better? I haven't been there in a few years, so I don't know if what I see is modern American society or simply modern California society!

Also, how tough would it be for someone like me to meet other 30-something singles? Living in the city is an option, but so is living in the suburbs. What areas/suburbs would be best for a single male sports fan who is a hockey nut, enjoys casual bar and grill environments, is allergic to smoke, and enjoys meeting and getting to know people?
The majority of people here don't smoke and those that do are forced to do it outside at least 15 feet away from any entrance. Or at least that is what they are supposed to do. As far as I know, all Cook County restaurants and bars were supposed to go smoke free a few months ago. Smoking Ban Passes In Cook County - News Story - WMAQ | Chicago There is some info for you to read.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:24 PM

Thank you for the replies! As far as networking.. I'm really not into the networking, schmoozing scene at all. I enjoy meeting new people, but I also enjoy having my own space, if that makes sense. I'm not a California native, and I've only been here about six years, so I wouldn't really be a "Californian" moving to Chicago.

One thing that concerns me... in Minnesota, it was completely impossible to meet anyone, or even have a decent conversation, if you weren't born into a social group. Bigjersey's post kind of hinted at something similar.... but I'm not sure it's quite the same.....?

Old 10-08-2007, 11:36 PM

683 posts, read 4,617,625 times
That article does state that there is a smoking ban that was to take effect in March...but I'm not sure why it says that. I didn't live here then, but I can tell you that right now, people are definitely still smoking in bars! The ban is supposed to take effect Jan 1, 2008. Maybe the majority of people here don't smoke like the poster said. However, I just moved from California, and when I got here, one big difference that I saw was how many more people smoke here than in CA.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:32 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
If moving from California you'll be surprised by th number of smokers. If you move from a smaller midwestern city you'll proabably be surprised by how few people smoke. It's all relative.
Most restaurants (unless they are also a bar) are already nonsmoking

Mel is right - the smoking ban in bars goes into effect Jan. 1.
I wonder how this 15ft from buildings will work... In much of illinois I am sure this would be fine, but there are many places in Chicago that 15 feet would be in the street ... This seems much harder to enforce than the rest of the ban.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:43 PM

The funny thing is -- the numbers indicate only about 15% of Southern Californians smoke. And in some areas, that is the case.

However, I'm in my early 30s... and very many people I know my age or younger smoke -- I'd say in the 40-50% range. The thing is, they're considerate -- they know I'm allergic and don't smoke around me or pressure me to go to smoky places. And I'm wondering if that would be the same in Chicago. I know in Minneapolis, I got very little understanding a lot of pressure!

Old 10-14-2007, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,894 times
Chicago is a bad city to go to if you are allergic to smoke, especially in winter. It smells like smog/smoke all over the city in my opinion. Mixed with the thinness of the winter air it could be a bad experience if you walk frequently.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:25 PM

The smog isn't a big issue -- my allergy is actually to the tobacco plant itself, so it is the burning tobacco that bothers me. I've never struggled with the smog in SoCal.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoskyway View Post
Chicago is a bad city to go to if you are allergic to smoke, especially in winter. It smells like smog/smoke all over the city in my opinion. Mixed with the thinness of the winter air it could be a bad experience if you walk frequently.

Usually in winter is the crisp, clean air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: