Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,284 times

Advertisements

Ok, i've been reading back and forth in this forum for a few hours. Heres the breakdown:

I've got an apartment budget of less than $800, so a basic studio is just fine for me.
Relative safety is good. I'm moving from Detroit so I know that even good areas can have crime and bad areas aren't always as bad as they seem.
Subway/El access is a definite plus, I have a line on a job between Goose Island district and West Loop and I want to be able to get to and from work without that much hassle.
I'm a 40 year old white male so I really don't care if there are a bunch of clubs and art scenes around me. A movie theater or two and decent food/shopping and I will be fine.

From my reads, Hyde Park would be fine except the lack of ready transport can be a hassle.

Recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 09:02 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Hyde Park is a good neighborhood, but to Goose Island and West Loop, it might take awhile. It could take over an hour on public transit to get from Hyde Park to Goose Island for example.

You might want to see if you can get anything around Ukrainian Village/East Ukrainian Village, but might be hard. Otherwise you might want to consider some other areas along the blue line. I think that would be your best bet. Logan Square maybe or even Avondale. Or maybe an area like Irving Park.

Technically though, you'd be surprised. You can find studios for under $800 in a lot of areas in the city. When my girlfriend was looking for new places, she found a bunch of studios in Lakeview even for under $800/month

Old 09-06-2012, 01:14 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Hyde Park is a good neighborhood, but to Goose Island and West Loop, it might take awhile. It could take over an hour on public transit to get from Hyde Park to Goose Island for example.
The best option for transportation (instead of transferring buses downtown) would be to take the 28X bus, an express bus from Hyde Park to the West Loop area. Check it out on the Metra website.

Deprecated Browser Error

Old 09-06-2012, 10:13 PM

22 posts, read 42,936 times
Moved to Hyde Park about four months ago. Figuring out public transit from here takes some practice, but I feel like I've got it down now. Granted, I don't know much about getting to Goose Island/West Loop. Great area if you're looking for somewhere chill, though. Students, families, parks, pretty solid food (not pretentious, trendy stuff), cool old buildings and close to the lake.

#6 bus, the Lake Shore Drive express, is great for getting downtown, but not West Loop necessarily. #55 to Green and Red lines is pretty quick. Worth the extra blocks west to ride the Red, as it moves much faster. Metra also works to get to Millenium Park.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 PM

126 posts, read 207,961 times
What about Bridgeport?
I'm not positive, but I think there should be studios available for that price. And the #8 Halsted bus is a straight shot up to Goose Island. If there's anything that's missing in Bridgeport, it's probably available along the commute route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: