Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 07:01 AM

10 posts, read 19,100 times

Advertisements

Dear Chicago community,

I will be moving to the United States from Europe soon, so I am trying to figure out where exactly. I have a graduate degree in the biomedical/life sciences and am looking for a career in the biotech or pharmaceutical industries. Academia might be an option, too, but only if I don't find a job elsewhere.

What draws me to Chicago is the fact that I am very familiar with the area and have friends there, so the transition would be easy. However, I will have to move without a job (no one hires people from overseas) and I know that Chicago is not the life sciences hub, especially not compared to Boston, San Diego, San Francisco and the like.

So, does anyone have any input on how realistic it is to find a biotech/pharm job in Chicago? I'd be willing to first accept any job just to support myself, but obviously I didn't go to college to end up as a Starbucks barista. Would you advise me on doing the move to Chicago? Or better go elsewhere first and then relocate to Chicago once I have an established career?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 07:45 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Advanced degree? Specific experience?

There are signficant efforts in biotech / pharma research in the area -- Northwesten , Rush, and University of Chicago all run top tier research health centers. Similarly Abbott Labs, Baxter Healtcare and a about a dozen other pharma / healthcare firms have active drug and diagnostic testing programs, mostly in Lake Co.

If you don't get specific you won't land a job, but if you do have experince and credentials that match the needs of the organizations here you can do very well...

Old 09-22-2012, 07:53 AM

Thanks for your input! It's nice to hear that there are quite a few companies in the area. Chicago would definitely be my fav place to move to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

If you don't get specific you won't land a job, but if you do have experince and credentials that match the needs of the organizations here you can do very well...
Well, I just graduated and can imagine several career paths, be it lab-based research or more of an administrative position. That depends more on what kind of jobs are available than on my personal preferences. I have mostly lab experience though, so I guess that's my safest bet and I can still move up the food chain to administrative jobs later on.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:01 AM

655 posts, read 1,128,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroscience View Post
Thanks for your input! It's nice to hear that there are quite a few companies in the area. Chicago would definitely be my fav place to move to...

Well, I just graduated and can imagine several career paths, be it lab-based research or more of an administrative position. That depends more on what kind of jobs are available than on my personal preferences. I have mostly lab experience though, so I guess that's my safest bet and I can still move up the food chain to administrative jobs later on.

Congrats on graduating and welcome to the US! I work in this industry and there are quite a few options for you here. Almost all the big pharmas are north of O'Hare and the are some smaller med device and/or biotechs in the western burbs. Most of your research will be in the city.

It can be difficult to break into the big pharmas so I suggest you look at some of the temp agencies like Adecco, Manpower, Kelly Scientific, etc. That is usually the best way to get your foot in the door.

Good luck and DM me if you need any more info.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
Congrats on graduating and welcome to the US! I work in this industry and there are quite a few options for you here. Almost all the big pharmas are north of O'Hare and the are some smaller med device and/or biotechs in the western burbs. Most of your research will be in the city.

It can be difficult to break into the big pharmas so I suggest you look at some of the temp agencies like Adecco, Manpower, Kelly Scientific, etc. That is usually the best way to get your foot in the door.

Good luck and DM me if you need any more info.
Thanks! So you think Chicago is a feasible option for me? Or am I going to have much better chances to get my foot in the door if I move to San Diego or Boston?

Old 09-22-2012, 09:12 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Please be aware that popular American cities are like movie stars; there are many subtle differences between them. Boston, San Diego, San Francisco, NYC, Miami. Dallas, Denver, NOLA, Indy, are very different cities than Chicago. This city is the dominate city in the Midwest beginning east of Ohio, north to the Canadian border, south to the tip of Illinois and ending west of the Dakotas. It is thousands of acres of land that is primarily dedicated to farm crop and livestock. The Chicago area (Chicago and Cook County) cover 1000 square miles or more. There is a far more competition for one job in Chicago than elsewhere in the state due to the fact people from three states are fighting for one job in Chicago. Also worth noting is the unemployment rate in Illinois is still high. I expect it to stay this way until Spring. Without a job or any benefits I can see where you might need $15000 US annual income until you find your job.

I cannot speak for Chicago. There are companies in other areas in Illinois that routinely hire Ph.D graduates in Europe and India for research, vacancies, or to fill newly created positions. There are also vendors that sell their products to hospitals and pharmacies that are not located in Chicago.

The Midwest, and particularly the State of illinois, is very divided. Chicagoans generally dislike everything in the Midwest because it IS NOT Chicago. Midwesterners aren't particularly fond of Chicago because it IS Chicago. It is an interesting place to live especially if you like to watch American Politics.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:36 AM

483 posts, read 842,368 times
I definitely think your odds would be much greater in Boston (Genzyme, Biogen, Novartis, Shire, Vertex, some Pfizer, some Sanofi, tons of smaller companies), the Bay Area (Roche/Genentech, Biomarin, Abbott diagnostics, Elan, various other big pharma and tons of startus) and the stretch around Philly/Northern NJ (Merck, J&J, Pfizer, some Sanofi and Roche, I think some AstraZeneca, BMS if you go into Connecticut).

But Chicago does have its fair share of pharma/biotechs (Abbott, Takeda, Astellas, Lundbeck, Hospira). They tend to be in the northern suburbs and make for a fairly miserable commute from the city, in my opinion. There are very few smaller biotech companies around Chicago. A new one is expanding here recently (forget the name but I'll look it up) but they are an extreme rarity compared to what you'd find in Boston and California. It is the lack of smaller biopharmas, plus my desire to stay in Chicago for the near-term, that led me to leave that industry. I would hate to work for a bigger pharma company.

One option to keep in mind is professional services. Biotech/pharma companies are huge consumers of services from a variety of types of companies, such as management consulting, marketing/advertising, event management and others. These types of firms, particularly consultancies, tend to have more flexible locations (meaning, live in Chicago but work with clients in New Jersey) and have offices all over the place. They might also be more likely go through the effort needed to employ a non-American, visa-wise. Just make sure you're interested in that type of work. I hated it.

Last edited by rca215; 09-22-2012 at 10:12 AM..

Old 09-22-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
I definitely think your odds would be much greater in Boston (Genzyme, Biogen, Novartis, Shire, Vertex, some Pfizer, some Sanofi, tons of smaller companies), the Bay Area (Roche/Genentech, Biomarin, Abbott diagnostics, Elan, various other big pharma and tons of startus) and the stretch around Philly/Northern NJ (Merck, J&J, Pfizer, some Sanofi and Roche, I think some AstraZeneca, BMS if you go into Connecticut).
Thanks. That's what I wanted to hear. Or maybe not because I would prefer Chicago over the Bay Area or Boston a lot. People also talk about San Diego a lot, is that even better than the Bay Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
and have offices all over the place. They might also be more likely go through the effort needed to employ a non-American, visa-wise. Just make sure you're interested in that type of work. I hated it.
I'll probably have a Green Card so the visa should not be a problem. I just wanted to see where I have the best chances of finding a job in my area of expertise.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:29 PM

289 posts, read 396,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroscience View Post
People also talk about San Diego a lot, is that even better than the Bay Area?
No.

That said there really aren't any areas in the US where big Pharma is a great option.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:47 PM

483 posts, read 842,368 times
San Diego has a decent start-up community and some R&D arms of big pharma (in addition to Scripps and other academic research), but I think it is much smaller than SF and Boston and the Philly/NJ stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: