Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times

Advertisements

The stalled multi-family development market means efforts to mix subsidized , discounted and market rate units will scraped and replaced with a strategy that will vary "building by building" -- Chicago Real Estate Collapse Cripples CHA Plans

The accommpanying charts really highlight how little demand there is from buyers, the traditionally "tough sell" areas face tremendous headwinds...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 12:52 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times
You definitely don't want pure public housing complexes as that has been evidenced to do little more than breed problems and not really benefit the tenants with any form of upward mobility.

I like the idea of the market rate rentals as that works two-ways. One, the purchase market in Chicago is soft to begin with. And two, even if I was in the market to buy a condo in Chicago, I wouldn't buy one in a CHA property. Main reason: They're not being 'sold' as you think. They're being sold with a 99-year lease. I would only buy if I were to get a deep discount relative to privately developed units because that transforms a home purchase (traditionally a solid investment) into a depreciating asset which loses value every year closer to the expiration of the 99 years.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
You definitely don't want pure public housing complexes as that has been evidenced to do little more than breed problems and not really benefit the tenants with any form of upward mobility.

I like the idea of the market rate rentals as that works two-ways. One, the purchase market in Chicago is soft to begin with. And two, even if I was in the market to buy a condo in Chicago, I wouldn't buy one in a CHA property. Main reason: They're not being 'sold' as you think. They're being sold with a 99-year lease. I would only buy if I were to get a deep discount relative to privately developed units because that transforms a home purchase (traditionally a solid investment) into a depreciating asset which loses value every year closer to the expiration of the 99 years.
99 year leases are just legal terms because they can't say infinitely. Basically if it is a 99 year lease, you are paying for the unit and not the land it sits on. It is a way to greatly reduce the cost of a house and make it more affordable to buy. Often times these places come with clauses on how long you must live there before deciding to sell and how much you are allowed to sell if for and how much of a percentage the land owner receives to help continue upkeep of the land as well as building more units.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
99 year leases are just legal terms because they can't say infinitely. Basically if it is a 99 year lease, you are paying for the unit and not the land it sits on. It is a way to greatly reduce the cost of a house and make it more affordable to buy.
They're charging (or attempting to) market rate! Unless it's some killer location at a discount to the neighboring areas, it doesn't seem worth it.

Quote:
Often times these places come with clauses on how long you must live there before deciding to sell and how much you are allowed to sell if for and how much of a percentage the land owner receives to help continue upkeep of the land as well as building more units.
Yeah, forget that. I'd think real hard before I signed on that dotted line. Restrictions and hassles.

Now, if the private development is charging 350k for a unit, and you can get a comparable one as noted above for 200, okay, now you're talking. If they want 325, I'd keep walking.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
They're charging (or attempting to) market rate! Unless it's some killer location at a discount to the neighboring areas, it doesn't seem worth it.

Yeah, forget that. I'd think real hard before I signed on that dotted line. Restrictions and hassles.

Now, if the private development is charging 350k for a unit, and you can get a comparable one as noted above for 200, okay, now you're talking. If they want 325, I'd keep walking.
Maybe so, I don't know how this is working, but the times I have dealt with this type of thing, that is how it works. Now if it does in this case, I don't know.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 PM

It's been over a year, but I was poking around the listings over at the Westhaven Park, and I didn't think there were any fantastic deals to be had in light of the restrictions mentioned above.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:30 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Has tearing down CHA helped any?

NYCHA has only demolished 2 developments, Markham Gardens in Staten Island and Prospect Plaza in Brooklyn. Markham Gardens has been replaced with new townhouses, while Prospect Plaza remains vacant shells.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-02-2012, 06:56 PM

Probably depends on how you measure 'success.'

On one hand, the residents are currently displaced, but on the other, I could only imagine what the murder rate would look like if Cabrini, Robert Taylor and ABLA were still at peak occupancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago