Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:46 PM

38 posts, read 174,286 times

Advertisements

Which is less bulky: Carhartt or Thinsulate jackets? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 11:51 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
It depends upon the reason to buy it.

Carhartt outerwear is a durable canvas type fabric. It meant to be worn over other clothing.
Thinsulate is lighter and less bulky.

If you work in winter construction, for instance, where you are in unheated buildings all day, you may well prefer Carhartt because it a rugged fabric that stands up to foul conditions, and it wears well. The hunter in a duck blind may well like Thinsulate better.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:44 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Carhartt clothing is bulky and stiff. If you work in the building trades and especially if you burn, weld and arc gouge then Carhartt, which is fire resistant and very rugged is the way to go. But don't wash Carhartts, that ruins them. I always wore the brown duck 4 button blanket lined coat (zipper jackets are no good if welding overhead) and the bibs. Lots of guys liked the blanket lined bibs and the quilt lined coveralls. Note the brown duck bibs and trousers have double knees and thighs to protect you from hot rollers when burning and welding. The blanket lined coat has an inside breast pocket perfect for carrying a half-dog of VO or brandy to keep you warm.

Carhartt makes nice heavy cotton red union suits, you know, the one piece long johns with the flap in back. Those are comfortable and warm and can be doubled up when it's really cold.

If you don't do that kind of work I don't see why one would wear Carhartts. I'm told farmers like them though and they do sell lots of them at Farm and Fleet.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:02 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Irishtom is spot on, although some folks do buy the heavy canvas outerwear for its bulky "hide my hog leg 'cause I'm a wanna be hoodlum" appearance the main selling point of these stiff bulky overalls and coats is that they'll withstand a shower or sparks / welding slag without melting...

Old 11-29-2012, 11:47 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
What sort of Thinsulate jacket are you thinking of? Thinsulate is an insulator that's in all sorts of jackets.

Tom's dead on with the Carhartt description. In addition to the quilted insulated Carhartts they also have fleece lined ones. My wife got me one for Christmas last year and it's a lot warmer and more flexible than my ancient quilted ones. I actually prefer a slightly over-sized unlined one that I layer depending on the temps.

A couple side notes - farmers like them for the fire/heat resistance. Spend a day wearing a nylon/Gore-Tex jacket and doing things like burning brush, coming in contact with hot engines, etc. and you'll end up with a lot of holes in the jacket. Carhartt is also popular for hunting because canvas isn't nearly as noisy as nylon/Gore-Tex when it rubs against itself. We kicked a friend out a deer stand a few years ago because his nylon overalls were making a racket every time he shifted.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the comments! I'm not doing any construction work or going hunting. I just heard that Carhartt jackets are very warm for harsh winter weather like in Chicago. lol

Old 11-29-2012, 12:34 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by space115 View Post
Thanks for the comments! I'm not doing any construction work or going hunting. I just heard that Carhartt jackets are very warm for harsh winter weather like in Chicago. lol
No need for that. I'd only get them if you do manual labor or in rough conditions...

I generally buy Columbia or just whatever is on sell at the time. I've had Aigle, London Fog, Rainforest...didn't really matter. If I was going on an outdoor trek and wanted light stuff I'd probably go with Columbia/North Face but don't feel the need to have to look like I'm on an arctic adventure...

Just layer properly, get good scarves, gloves, hats, mittens and you should be fine. For January I usually wear a normal long sleeve dress shirt, a fleece over that, then a coat, tuck in scarf around neck. I tend to wear pretty thick and tight gloves which zip along the wrists and are rated low temp b/c my hands get cold easy though. There are also plenty of jackets with detachable fleece lining which you can take off or add in if it's colder/warmer.

I'd say most important for keeping warm are the boots (water proof and rated for cold temps) and a good pear of warm gloves, good hat such as this one, not exactly coming off the Paris fashion lines but it would keep you warm

Last edited by grapico; 11-29-2012 at 12:44 PM..

Old 11-29-2012, 12:40 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by space115 View Post
I have warmer stuff that's far less bulky from Lands End. Carhartt is warm but not the warmest. They're work clothes.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:03 PM

Other brands of duck jackets are cheaper than Columbia and North Face. But it would be weird wearing it in the city lol. It's gonna be my first winter in Chicago. Thinking of getting the 1964 CVS Sorel for boots. Don't like wearing bulky winter jacket and having to waddle around like a penguin lol. Thanks again for sharing.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:36 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
The answer is Thinsulate.

I don't know anything about Carhartt or construction clothing.

My layering 101 (for maximum warmth, not fashion)...

1st layer - breathable/moisture wicking thin layer next to skin - e.g. silk, polypropylene, Under Armour cold gear.

2nd layer - non-bulky layer/lining - fleece, microfiber/thinsulate, wool, cashmere, shearling

3rd layer - windproof/waterproof shell - e.g. Gore-tex, waterproof treated nylon. L.L. Bean has good shells which you can easily return/exchange (even if it is years after purchase).

The key is breathability and movement, not bulk. You do not want moisture close to skin or restriction of movement (e.g. too tight clothes, gloves, socks). Use layering to trap warm, dry air close to skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago