Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:59 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,244 times

Advertisements

Suburban cops are the worst. Chicago cops would take your weed, toss it on the ground, and tell you to get lost. And this was 10-15 years ago. Maybe if you were goofy lookin' they would take your money too. But you always lived to party another day. In DuPage County you will get hauled into jail for a ROACH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 05:11 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,737,562 times
True story: This past summer, two friends of mine, who happen to be black, walked into the Loyola University bookstore (Water Tower Campus: Baumhart Hall - 26 E. Pearson) in downtown Chicago. The guy, who was 44 years of age, was looking to purchase a Loyola t-shirt, while the woman, who was 40, was simply tagging along. After looking around briefly [approx. 2 minutes] the guy was ready to leave, so the two of them turned for the exit. Suddenly, in walks 3 uniformed officers (the first 2 were described as white males, and the last, a black male) with bullet proof vests. The first white officer looks at my male friend and says, "can we help you with something", to which my confused male friend replies, "I don't know... like, with what?" To this, the same officer replies, "I don't know... we're walking in and you're leaving, so what's up?" Now, both friends stand there, confused, not knowing if it's okay to leave, when the black cop finally chimes in, "just leave then... just go." Finally, as the two are allowed to exit [male friend chuckling, while shaking his head in disbelief] the woman says, "what's the problem? Is it because we're black?, to which none of the officers respond, as all 3 begin to question the 2 salesmen, who are behind the counter, waiting on 4-6 white customers.

Now, I don't know if this was, or could have led to, police harassment/brutality. But, what I do know is, it doesn't take 2 salesman, and three armed officers (with bullet proof vests) to help a couple of tourists, who are college graduates with no criminal backgrounds, simply looking to purchase a t-shirt. To me, that was ridiculous, and a waste of tax dollars.

And, by the way, it didn't help that this was the couples very first experience on the north side, after already hearing multiple rumors of how segregated and biased that part of town is.

Is this normal, for blacks on the north side?

Last edited by Just1Fan; 01-14-2013 at 05:30 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 05:39 PM

191 posts, read 361,029 times
Haven't had a serious run in with the CPD but there's a couple of current & retired CPD officers at my job who seem to be fine folks.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
True story: This past summer, two friends of mine, who happen to be black, walked into the Loyola University bookstore (Water Tower Campus: Baumhart Hall - 26 E. Pearson) in downtown Chicago. The guy, who was 44 years of age, was looking to purchase a Loyola t-shirt, while the woman, who was 40, was simply tagging along. After looking around briefly [approx. 2 minutes] the guy was ready to leave, so the two of them turned for the exit. Suddenly, in walks 3 uniformed officers (the first 2 were described as white males, and the last, a black male) with bullet proof vests. The first white officer looks at my male friend and says, "can we help you with something", to which my confused male friend replies, "I don't know... like, with what?" To this, the same officer replies, "I don't know... we're walking in and you're leaving, so what's up?" Now, both friends stand there, confused, not knowing if it's okay to leave, when the black cop finally chimes in, "just leave then... just go." Finally, as the two are allowed to exit [male friend chuckling, while shaking his head in disbelief] the woman says, "what's the problem? Is it because we're black?, to which none of the officers respond, as all 3 begin to question the 2 salesmen, who are behind the counter, waiting on 4-6 white customers.

Now, I don't know if this was, or could have led to, police harassment/brutality. But, what I do know is, it doesn't take 2 salesman, and three armed officers (with bullet proof vests) to help a couple of tourists, who are college graduates with no criminal backgrounds, simply looking to purchase a t-shirt. To me, that was ridiculous, and a waste of tax dollars.

And, by the way, it didn't help that this was the couples very first experience on the north side, after already hearing multiple rumors of how segregated and biased that part of town is.

Is this normal, for blacks on the north side?
How does someone "happen to be black"? Are you saying it coud have happened a different way? Two black parents but and thier child "happens to be" black..

Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
How does someone "happen to be black"?
:chuckles: Nice catch, urza. What I meant was, is it a coincidence [that in this case] my friends just happened to be black? Or, does this stuff happen to white brothas and sistas, as well? I don't know, but blacks are always telling stories like this. I mean, it's nothing new to black brothas, which is why my friend thought it was funny, i.e. here we go again with this bullsh^t.

Last edited by Just1Fan; 01-14-2013 at 06:35 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
:chuckles: Nice catch, urza. What I meant was, is it a coincidence [that in this case] my friends just happened to be black? Or, does this stuff happen to white brothas and sistas, as well? I don't know, but blacks are always telling stories like this. I mean, it's nothing new to black brothas, which is why my friend thought it was funny, i.e. here we go again with this bullsh^t.
I didn't comment on the story but I will say now that it's worth telling. I just think that expression doesn't make much senss - "happens to be black".

Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I just think that expression doesn't make much senss - "happens to be black".
Well, since we're on the subject, let me tell you what doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense that the topic of this thread is about Chicago's finest, but after hearing a story about the CPD, your main focus is the manner in which one expresses oneself. But, whatever. It's your world... I'm just in it.

Last edited by Just1Fan; 01-14-2013 at 09:02 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
[about the phrases "happens to be black" and "openly gay"]
George Carlin: You know, you wouldn't say someone was "openly black." Well, maybe James Brown. Or Louis Farrakhan. Louis Farrakhan is openly black. Colin Powell is not openly black. Colin Powell is openly white - he just happens to be black.

George Carlin: You Are All Diseased (1999) (TV) - Memorable quotes

Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Well, since we're on the subject, let me tell you what doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense that the topic of this thread is about Chicago's finest, but after hearing a story about the CPD, your main focus is the manner in which one expresses oneself. But, whatever. It's your world... I'm just in it.
Touche.

I suppose it is "focusing" to only comment on one part of a post. But I didn't really have anything to say about anything else.. I know things like this get me in trouble on this forum but maybe people are just too sensitive.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I didn't really have anything to say about anything else.
I know what you mean. I'm ready for NASCAR.

Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks.

boogity boogity boogity ~ DW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago