Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago a good move for what I'm looking for?
No-Stick with Big Salty 4 16.67%
Yes- plenty of what you're looking for 20 83.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:01 AM

13 posts, read 27,462 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have an opportunity to relocate from Salt Lake City to Chicago. I am originally from Kentucky, male, currently in mid 20s, recently graduated in Engineering.

I feel out of place here, miss the friendly Midwest. Salt Lake City is also heavily Mormon (great people but exclusive), which I am not. This combined with the heavily male population ("Lets ski bro") makes dating quite difficult. It also has the lowest percentage of female graduates than any other state, even AK and WY.

So I'm looking for a great nightlife and singles scene of educated and friendly women. In addition, I'm looking for friendly, honest, down to earth people to call neighbors. Also looking at UI-C for masters.

Is the nightlife in Chicago that much different than Salt Lake City?
How is the single scene in comparison?
What neighborhoods would be best to relocate to find an educated female with her act together?
Am I still going to walk into a bar and see a 5:1 guy/girl ratio?
How expensive is rent in these areas?
What can I expect?
What's your take on University Illinois-Chicago?

Give me your opinion, doesn't necessarily have to be facts.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 11:44 AM

359 posts, read 549,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingToMoveYES View Post
Hello,

I have an opportunity to relocate from Salt Lake City to Chicago. I am originally from Kentucky, male, currently in mid 20s, recently graduated in Engineering.

I feel out of place here, miss the friendly Midwest. Salt Lake City is also heavily Mormon (great people but exclusive), which I am not. This combined with the heavily male population ("Lets ski bro") makes dating quite difficult. It also has the lowest percentage of female graduates than any other state, even AK and WY.

So I'm looking for a great nightlife and singles scene of educated and friendly women. In addition, I'm looking for friendly, honest, down to earth people to call neighbors. Also looking at UI-C for masters.

How is the single scene in comparison?
What neighborhoods would be best to relocate to find an educated female with her act together?
Am I still going to walk into a bar and see a 5:1 guy/girl ratio?
How expensive is rent in these areas?
What can I expect?
What's your take on University Illinois-Chicago?

Give me your opinion, doesn't necessarily have to be facts.

Thanks!
Yes, this place is really great, and it is much easier to meet educated people here than in other areas of the country.

There are slightly more women here than men, but its no where near 5:1; depending on what type of bar/club you walk into, the ratio is about 1:1.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Without a doubt.

I've only been to SLC a couple of times, but based on that limited experience (and that of a couple of friends who have lived there), I think you'll find much more of what you're looking for in Chicago. Personally the only advantage I would give SLC over Chicago would be the mountains/skiing/outdoor stuff. It's a rather big advantage, but still wouldn't be enough to get me to choose it over Chicago as a single guy.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:05 PM

Thanks for your replies, this exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,036 times
I've definitely heard the phrase "slower than Salt Lake City on a Saturday night" thrown around before. Chicago couldn't be more unlike that.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:19 PM

What's a good neighborhood to live in considering being close to quality nightlife and reasonably priced?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:20 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
define reasonable, a budget is a must

Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM

good point Aleking, right now I'm only paying $400/month with all utilities included. Expecting that in Downtown Chicago is a joke. What is a reasonable rate for a single bedroom close to the nightlife? $800/month?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:44 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Quote:
good point Aleking, right now I'm only paying $400/month with all utilities included. Expecting that in Downtown Chicago is a joke. What is a reasonable rate for a single bedroom close to the nightlife? $800/month?
You'll be looking at studios, even in my neighborhood which often viewed as a more affordable but close to nightlife option, $800 1 bdrms are few and far between.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:15 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Besides defining "reasonable," it also depends on how you define "close" and how you define "nightlife." There are actually quite a few neighborhoods where you can get a 1 BR for $800, and some will have nightlife in the sense of having bars or restaurants in walking distance. If you mean the kind of neighborhoods where you can do serious barhopping and clubbing with hordes of 20-somethings, you won't be finding much in that price range, though. You'll be taking public transportation to those areas at that price unless you have a roommate or a tiny, crappy studio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago