Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 11:43 AM

498 posts, read 978,190 times

Advertisements

I've recently started getting into cycling for exercise, transportation, and for fun. I live in Lincoln Park, and I'm trying to figure out where the best areas to go riding are, without having to stop every five minutes because traffic is in your way. Any recommended bike paths within a mile or two of Lincoln Park?

On a related note, what would be the best way to get from Clark Street in Lincoln Park to Clark Street in the south loop on a bike in the mornings? Should I just ride Clark all the way, or would it be quicker/safer to ride out to the lake and follow it south til I get to the south loop and then just turn back towards Clark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 05:25 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
Have you tried taking yoiur bicycle to the bike paths in Lincoln Park? The park, itself?

Old 04-21-2013, 05:34 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
The obvious answer is LINCOLN PARK.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:32 PM

498 posts, read 978,190 times
I've gone around the lakefront trail and a few park areas. I was wondering more about other areas I haven't seen yet.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
North Shore Channel Trail:
North Shore Channel Trail | Illinois Trails | TrailLink.com

North Branch Trail:
North Branch Trail | Illinois Trails | TrailLink.com

Plans to extned the North Branch Trail south:
North Branch Bike Trail Extensions Pick Up Where Protected Lanes Leave Off - DNAinfo.com Chicago

Especially if you are a "roadie" (ride a road bike) there are also bicycle clubs that have group rides. Benefit of group rides is the safety in a larger group, and the clubs typically pick less congested roads to cycle on. Might mean a short drive into Evanston or another nearby suburb. You can also find a side street route to take you from the north end of the lakefront trail into Evanston. The sidewalk north of Juneway is OK for bicyles and once you get to a park just south of Main St. there is a bike path combined with very mellow side streets that will take you all the way to Northwestern University. Sheridan road in Wilmette has a decent bike lane and with some map research you can connect to the GreenBay trail which takes you farther north.

Calling some different bike shops will sometimes provide additional information as well.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:43 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,446,162 times
Good questions. I don't know much about dedicated bike trails in the city but the lakefront path is the most popular by far.

As for just getting around, I prefer to take sidestreets when possible to avoid traffic. There isn't really a great way around stopping and starting, and taking the lakefront path isn't going to be any faster when it's a mile out of your way. I think you'll get used to knowing where good sidestreets and bike lanes are, not to mention negotiating traffic and stoplights and all that for speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago