Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:55 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Tourists say this and I don't really understand it... What did you expect Lake Michigan to look like? It's the size of a state when you look at a map of the U.S.
I've always found that to be odd, too. "Why yes, things that are a few hundred miles across do in fact look remarkably similar to things that are a few thousand miles across when you're at the edge of them viewing them with the naked eye. You're right, little Timmy!"

I wonder if the same people stand at the state line of Maine, gazing ahead in amazement that it doesn't look much smaller than Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 07:59 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,505,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Tourists say this and I don't really understand it... What did you expect Lake Michigan to look like? It's the size of a state when you look at a map of the U.S.
Idk what it is. I for one forgot there was even a body of water next to Chicago (I seriously had no idea about anything Chicago-related). So when I saw it with my own eyes and then how big it was, I was wondering if I was in Miami because that's what it seemed like the first time I was on Lake Shore Drive. I just think a lot of people underestimate how big it is. They hear Lake and they think small (at least that's what I would've thought).

Old 05-06-2013, 08:16 PM

367 posts, read 673,200 times
japanese food that doesn't suck

Old 05-06-2013, 09:09 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
There are a few, but some of them are west. There's some good ramen in a few places, but overpriced. If you go to the Japanese market in the burbs, you can get a good bowl of ramen for fairly cheap. Now if you're talking about japanese food outside of Sushi and ramen, there's some decent but not a lot. Mainly robata style stuff....

I really wish Chicago had a conveyor belt sushi joint. That would make a ton of money especially near a bunch of bars.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,505,245 times
Quote:
Do all of these suck?

Chicago » Restaurants » Japanese - Yelp

Chicago » Restaurants » Sushi Bars - Yelp

Old 05-06-2013, 10:49 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Maybe figuring out lake michigan sashimi would help. I'm guessing that's not a thing though.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There are a few, but some of them are west. There's some good ramen in a few places, but overpriced. If you go to the Japanese market in the burbs, you can get a good bowl of ramen for fairly cheap. Now if you're talking about japanese food outside of Sushi and ramen, there's some decent but not a lot. Mainly robata style stuff....

I really wish Chicago had a conveyor belt sushi joint. That would make a ton of money especially near a bunch of bars.

Yeah I don't have a car or else i'd be at mitsuwa every week

I just want a cheap izakaya place where i can consume gluttonous amounts of gyoza and Orion

Old 05-07-2013, 03:50 PM

502 posts, read 717,839 times
Baseball teams capable of winning a world series at least every 10-20 years or so.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:14 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Yeah I don't have a car or else i'd be at mitsuwa every week

I just want a cheap izakaya place where i can consume gluttonous amounts of gyoza and Orion
Japanese food in a lot of US cities is expensive, even Honolulu. I thought Yuzu in Ukrainian Village was pretty decent too.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Japanese food in a lot of US cities is expensive, even Honolulu. I thought Yuzu in Ukrainian Village was pretty decent too.
I'm from LA originally and there's plenty of cheap japanese. There's also plenty of $100+ a head glitzy sushi bars for people who don't know sht about japanese food

I'll have to try Yuzu. I've been to a few places - slurping turtle, matsuya, ginza, and sunshine cafe, none of which impressed me.

i guess sunshine was alright, mostly because of reasonable prices, but i'm pretty salty about them not having curry udon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago