Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:35 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,296,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Pretty solid recommendations but even with expert level knowledge of CTA links I think there is too much too cram into three nights. Maybe stick to just a couple areas...
Yeah... My plan is to spend Friday in the Loop and Near North Side, and Sat and Sunday in the neighborhoods. I was thinking of Wicker Park/LP/Lake View/Logan Square area, but I know these neighborhoods are very big, with multiple activity centers in each (especially LP and LV), so wanted to make sure we are properly "focused".

Thanks for all the recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Marothisu - thanks a million, this is perfect. Will send a brief report when I return.

2 more (i promise final) questions:

What are the most active areas in Lincoln Park?

Is the Southport Avenue area in Lake View (recommended in some guide books) worth checking out on a Sat or Sun?

Thanks!
I agree with Chet that three days is not enough, but you can scratch the surface in a few areas. While the Michelin guide is good, there's a ton of good food not on there (that's not an arm and a leg...except a few).

Active parts of Lincoln Park are strewn around...might be the area around Fullerton & Lincoln but south of there on Clark (Say around Lincoln and Belden) near the Greenhouse Theater, or the strip of Lincoln north of Fullerton (some college-ish bars and some small concert venues...Barrelhouse Flat is near here), near the Wellington Brown Line (well I guess you could consider that Lakeview) on Sheffield and south of there are a few places. I think Lincoln Park is more spread out with the nightlife. It's usually like 5 bars together while Wrigleyville, Wicker Park, and River North is more like bar after bar for awhile.

Southport is decent. Some good eats there and some shopping. Tango Sur places is an argentinian BYOB steak place(and meat) that's real good (no reservations). The strip of Lakeview I enjoy is on the eastern part on Broadway Ave between about Belmont (or a little bit more north like Roscoe) and Diversey. Good amount of normal bars there too... South of Diversey it turns into Clark Street and continues kind of but there's some chain retail unfortunately mixed in there.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:56 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,164,879 times
Quote:
I am coming to Chicago tomorrow night with my wife for the weekend. We are staying until late Sunday and are looking to explore some cool neighborhoods, check out a few nice restaurants and just have some fun. On my prior visits to Chicago I saw almost nothing outside of downtown, so this time I want to focus on the neighborhoods as I understand that's where Chicago's "real action" is.

We have plans for Friday night but none for Thursday and Saturday nights. What would be the best and buzziest neighborhoods/streets outside of downtown to check out on those nights? Any recommendations for specific restaurants/bars/lounges would also be greatly appreciated.

We are two New York professionals (I in my mid-30s, my wife late 20s) so we are not interested in the college bar scene, but looking for a trendy/eclectic/cosmopolitan vibe along the lines of downtown Manhattan.

Thanks in advance.
25 Best Bars in America

The Aviary - Chicago IL

At this point molecular gastronomy is near synonymous with Chicago, so it was only a matter of time before a high concept lounge brought in a bag of science tricks to give classic cocktails their own makeover. Little surprise that the joint to do so, The Aviary, comes courtesy of the folks behind Alinea – aka one of the world’s leading molecular gastronomy Meccas. Expect overly complicated drinks made using only the freshest, carefully sourced, and procured fresh daily ingredients along with the likes of syringes (you know to in inject your cocktail into a hollow egg of ice), for memorable impact.

The Aviary - Chicago Bars - Men's Fitness - Page 18

Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,164,879 times
Wicker Park:

Walk from Ashland Ave & Division to Damen & Division OR from Milwaukee Ave & North Ave southeast on Milwaukee for a half mile or so.

These are the busiest stretches - dining, bars, shopping, etc...

Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah... My plan is to spend Friday in the Loop and Near North Side, and Sat and Sunday in the neighborhoods. I was thinking of Wicker Park/LP/Lake View/Logan Square area, but I know these neighborhoods are very big, with multiple activity centers in each (especially LP and LV), so wanted to make sure we are properly "focused".

Thanks for all the recommendations.
If you've already been to the Loop then meh. Since it's the CBD, the most that will be going on, on Friday, will be happy hours until like 8pm. There's a few good restaurants there and stuff but it's not an area I would focus on more than just some of the tourist stuff. By the way, if you want a good view and you haven't done it yet - Signature Lounge on the 96th Floor of the John Hancock. It's free to get up there (unlike Sears Tower) and you can have a drink (or tea if you don't want anything alcoholic). Get a southern view. When you walk off the elevators, no matter what anybody tries to tell you, go to the right, then take the first right down the hallway. There will be a host down there and ask him to seat you on the southern view (to your left at that point). Even my Manhattan friends were impressed with the view.

Some other more rooftop/high up lounges with good views include Roof at the Wit Hotel and Vertigo Sky Lounge

Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 AM

Oh yeah and in River North is a casual Rick Bayless place called Xoco serving real good mexican tortas, caldos, freshly ground hot chocolate, great churros, etc...

Old 05-09-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
If you've already been to the Loop then meh. Since it's the CBD, the most that will be going on, on Friday, will be happy hours until like 8pm. There's a few good restaurants there and stuff but it's not an area I would focus on more than just some of the tourist stuff. By the way, if you want a good view and you haven't done it yet - Signature Lounge on the 96th Floor of the John Hancock. It's free to get up there (unlike Sears Tower) and you can have a drink (or tea if you don't want anything alcoholic). Get a southern view. When you walk off the elevators, no matter what anybody tries to tell you, go to the right, then take the first right down the hallway. There will be a host down there and ask him to seat you on the southern view (to your left at that point). Even my Manhattan friends were impressed with the view.

Some other more rooftop/high up lounges with good views include Roof at the Wit Hotel and Vertigo Sky Lounge
Last time we were in Chicago was in 2009 for a wedding and had just one day to hang out in the city, a Saturday. We started walking through the Loop and it was totally dead. It was my wife's first (and only) time to Chicago and left a bad inpression on her (caught me by surprise too as I remembered it from my prior visits in the 90s as having Manhattan-level buzz -- I only then realized that it was a totally different environment on weekends). So I want to spend at least a couple of hours walking around on a business day, maybe go up Willis (been to Hancock already), Daley Plaza, maybe the river walk (anything else?).

Old 05-09-2013, 09:18 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,488 times
Quote:
Marothisu - thanks a million, this is perfect. Will send a brief report when I return.

2 more (i promise final) questions:

What are the most active areas in Lincoln Park?

Is the Southport Avenue area in Lake View (recommended in some guide books) worth checking out on a Sat or Sun?

Thanks!
Southport corridor (Southport Between Belmont and Grace) is a great area, though it is relatively quiet. Check out Southport Grocery for Brunch, you will not be disappointed!

In terms of most activity/places I'd recommend for a quick trip:
Lincoln Park - Armitage/Halsted; Clark/Diversey; Lincoln Ave

Lakeview - Broadway (between Diversey and Belmont); Clark (between Belmont and Addison); Southport (Start at Southport and School)

Rivernorth - most activity is East of Wells (Check out Hubbard, Illinois)

Old Town - North/Wells (on Wells south of North Ave)

Wicker Park - North/Milwaukee/Damen

Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Last time we were in Chicago was in 2009 for a wedding and had just one day to hang out in the city, a Saturday. We started walking through the Loop and it was totally dead. It was my wife's first (and only) time to Chicago and left a bad inpression on her (caught me by surprise too as I remembered it from my prior visits in the 90s as having Manhattan-level buzz -- I only then realized that it was a totally different environment on weekends). So I want to spend at least a couple of hours walking around on a business day, maybe go up Willis (been to Hancock already), Daley Plaza, maybe the river walk (anything else?).
The Loop on a Saturday is NOT the place to be (or at night). I work in the Loop and would never dream about hanging out there honestly. During the business hours there's more people of course..especially around lunch time or around 4-6pm.

The difference between now and the 90s is that things have shifted and the residential sections of downtown have expanded north to River North area big time and that's where pretty much one of the major areas anybody who is famous or has money will open up anything new (restaurants, lounges, bars) and then it's also expanded big time to West Loop, Wicker Park, Logan Square, etc. The Loop is in no way on anybody's radar for good eating (minus a few places) or great partying/bars/lounges (except a few places right across the river).

Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Southport corridor (Southport Between Belmont and Grace) is a great area, though it is relatively quiet. Check out Southport Grocery for Brunch, you will not be disappointed!

In terms of most activity/places I'd recommend for a quick trip:
Lincoln Park - Armitage/Halsted; Clark/Diversey; Lincoln Ave

Lakeview - Broadway (between Diversey and Belmont); Clark (between Belmont and Addison); Southport (Start at Southport and School)

Rivernorth - most activity is East of Wells (Check out Hubbard, Illinois)

Old Town - North/Wells (on Wells south of North Ave)

Wicker Park - North/Milwaukee/Damen
Thanks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago