Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 3,763 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I recently graduated from college, and I am a single female.
I will be taking a job at University of Chicago starting this summer for a year or so.

I will be re-locating from Berkeley, CA, so Chicago feels like a pretty big transition for me, and I feel a bit lost now that i'm trying to look for places to live.

I read a lot of threads on this forum, but I still cannot figure out where exactly to live.

It seems like most people who attend/work at U of C live at Hyde Park. But even inside Hyde Park, there appears to be a dichotomy of safe/unsafe areas, which I am unable to distinguish at this point.

I bike, so I am planning to bike in Chicago as well. I guess I don't mind a bit of a commute (max 5 miles) on my bike.

I am primarily looking for a safe, yet not so secluded place to live in. Proximity to coffee shops and restaurants would also be nice.

My budget is around ~760/mnth.

I hope you guys can help me out! Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 05:33 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
First, congrats on that job. Now I will say that when it comes winter, you probably won't be wanting to ride your bike especially if you're from California (even if the Bay Area isn't as warm as SoCal, the winter of Chicago is unlike anything California has).

That being said, is your budget for a studio or one bedroom? In any case, I would probably suggest living in Hyde Park itself. I wouldn't really call Hyde Park shady..some of the neighborhoods next to it such as Washington Park and Woodlawn are shady and Kenwood to the north (where Obama lives) can be so so in a few areas. I guess there are some areas near these neighborhoods in Hyde Park that are a little shady but I wouldn't worry. At least that's me.

Hyde Park isn't as happening as other areas of the city with restaurants, bars, cafes, etc but it's a good neighborhood. If you don't want to live there then maybe something like Bridgeport could be do-able. Though I'd recommend riding the bus. You would have to transfer probably and you'd want to take the right bus to not have to do that transfer in Englewood (bad neighborhood).

My suggestion though would be to find something in Hyde Park itself..

Old 05-18-2013, 12:26 PM

968 posts, read 2,666,783 times
First thing - Hyde Park has more police protection than almost any other neighborhood in Chicago . The University Police are deputized and armed, there are security call boxes throughout the area, and they tend to respond quickly along with CPD to anything unpleasant . Coming from Berkeley , you're going to another world-class university area; Hyde Park is a 'company town' in this regard.
Living there if you're associated with U of C has it pluses - one of which is not dashing for a train or bus at the end of the workday . This is helpful in the winter, as mentioned, and , if your employment is with an academic area, allows more collegial after-normal-hours interaction with your colleagues.
Hyde Park has several 'zones' that are somewhat different with respect to housing . The area from 55th street to 60th Street as north/south boundaries, and Ellis to Harper/ Illinois Central tracks is the 'Golden Rectangle' - this is where faculty and senior staff occupy Single Family Homes, Rowhouses, and Townhouses, with one or two mid-rises. Rental housing in this area is neither plentiful nor cheap (some say by design) . North of 55th to 51st , From Ellis Avenue to Lake Park/ IC tracks is Central Hyde Park . There's a lot of rentals in this area occupied by Grad students, Undergrads with multiple roommates, and junior staff. Most of this housing is 'vintage', which is a polite way of saying that not many improvements , except for paint , and maybe a minor modernizing of kitchens and bathrooms have happened . Radiator heat ( very dry but very toasty or very drafty) is the norm . The 'captive' rental customers don't provide much incentive for the landlords to do much .
North of this area is Kenwood. The sometimes home of the current President , and filled with many very large, impressive mansions. There's some rental property in the west end of this , and north of 47th street , but you'll be further from campus, closer to urban action , and requires some 'urban pioneer' spirit and street smarts to enjoy .
East of the Metra Tracks is the lakefront section of Hyde Park . The Northern part of this area ( north of 53rd Street) is mostly high rises . Condos and one or two Co-Ops, plus a few rental complexes here . These are probably out of your budget, and the area is at the fringe of walking distance to campus in the winter. South of 53rd is more low rise, and more vintage rental .
Hope this helps . it's generalized, but a start for how the neighborhood is configured for housing. The University used to have a decent faculty/staff housing office that would provide listings for the properties they control, as well as contacts with local realtors . Summer is also 'sublet season', which might be a good way to start while you seek more permanent accommodations.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:45 PM

240 posts, read 464,891 times
Agree with snoylekim that Hyde Park is a beautiful neighborhood and it's getting "livelier" by the day. That being said, it doesn't have the quantity of amenities (hip bars, trendy restaurants, boutique shops) that a lot of young professionals look for when compared to the north side and near west side neighborhoods.

A big question is, are you going to have a car? If not, then just living in Hyde Park might be your best option, but that being said you MIGHT be able to find a roommate in the South Loop for your price range. South Loop is a terrific, growing neighborhood with outstanding access to downtown. You'd be along the Lake (you will in Hyde Park too), and you can take an express bus to Hyde Park.

My girlfriend works at U of C and we live in West Loop Gate. She takes an express bus from here that gets her down to Hyde Park, and back, in about 40 minutes each way (which is actually pretty good). West Loop Gate is expensive though, and considering your budget range, you'd likely need a roommate. Try Craigslist or Domu.com if you're looking for that.

Otherwise, good luck and welcome to Chicago! Please keep us posted on what you decide, ilikethesun!

Old 05-18-2013, 02:11 PM

178 posts, read 371,266 times
I like your idea of a bike commute, but it is really only realistic for about 4-5 months. I don't think I really need to mention the issues in winter and keep in mind that we have a pretty brutal summer here as well. Depending on your nightlife requirements.....I would chose South Loop or West Loop (like others have mentioned). Also, you will be fine in Hyde Park if you practice some pretty obvious common sense (like not walking home alone at 3AM). I think that the biggest problem with working in Hyde Park is that folks have to go through Woodlawn to the south and west, Washington Park to the west, and Grand Boulevard to the northwest to get there. Woodlawn and Washington Park are terrible and Grand Boulevard is, at best, sketchy. Kenwood to the north is nice (like one of the other posters mentioned). I don't think I would be biking there until I knew for sure the safest ways to work. If you chose the South Loop.....that would most likely be taking Roosevelt to the Lake Front Bike Trail. The crossing over and heading west somewhere around 57th in Jackson Park. I'm not trying to make you nervous, but parts of the South Side have a bad rep for a reason.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:30 PM

29 posts, read 37,658 times
Dear Ilikethesun: I live at 45th and Greenwood, which is in the Kenwood neighborhood. It's quite nice (I'm scared of getting priced out as it continually gets nicer). I pay $630 (heat included) for a large 2-room studio (that's what we call that here in Chicago). I bike down to my job at the Medical Center or Harris building, and struggle to find an empty spot to park my bike as lots of students and staffers also bike to work. I have also biked from here to jobs downtown, and I take King Drive over to Wabash, which takes you through the South Loop. So, I am living witness that it can be done and done well. You are welcome to ask me questions about the area and U of C; I'll be happy to tell you whatever you'd like to know. My email is signalturns@gmail.com.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:36 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldriver View Post
Dear Ilikethesun: I live at 45th and Greenwood, which is in the Kenwood neighborhood. It's quite nice (I'm scared of getting priced out as it continually gets nicer). I pay $630 (heat included) for a large 2-room studio (that's what we call that here in Chicago). I bike down to my job at the Medical Center or Harris building, and struggle to find an empty spot to park my bike as lots of students and staffers also bike to work. I have also biked from here to jobs downtown, and I take King Drive over to Wabash, which takes you through the South Loop. So, I am living witness that it can be done and done well. You are welcome to ask me questions about the area and U of C;.
Just FYI, I would ask the poster to send you a message through the board rather than give your email out on here. Spammers lurk CD. Just throwing that out there.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:49 PM

29 posts, read 37,658 times
Tawfiqmp,

Thanks for that; I don't know how to edit my own comment. Looks like no one is reading this anyway.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:04 PM

968 posts, read 2,666,783 times
Two good friends of mine lives within 2 blocks of 45th and Greenwood , and I will attest the area is liveable and much nicer than 10-20 years ago . What's the alternate transportation to campus during non-biking 'season' ? Does the University bus system cover north of 47th now ?? My only concern would be that it is a bit more than a mile, as the crow flies from Campus , and the direct route is probably not always possible given the 'security zone' that overlaps the route ( for Casa de Obama) . it's a good, healthy walk but would be a challenge during some winter days .

Old 05-19-2013, 05:09 PM

148 posts, read 307,700 times
Dont think there is a direct CTA route from 45th to campus. The evening shuttles dont cover past 47th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago