Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:15 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times

Advertisements

I love Mirabell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,319,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They must have come a long way since the couple times I checked 'em out; I think they had just opened then and maybe they hadn't found their stride yet. The impression i got is that it was just a gussied-up corner bar that was mostly riding on Kuma's coattails and taking in the spillover of people who didn't feel like waiting in line for an hour.
I think you might be right. In the beginning I don't think Square was too great. I have had a couple of friends who went during it's first year of being open, and didn't really like it and said they would not return.

I am pretty sure the menu was revamped a couple of years ago, and the quality has gotten really good. I highly recommend.

Warning though, their spicy/hot dishes are REALLY hot. Delicious, but they give Mexican hot a run for their money.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:11 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,581,918 times
Red apple on Milwaukee

Old 06-04-2013, 09:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Couple notes on places listed herein:

1) Honey Butter isn't open yet (liquor license hold-up?).

2) Mr. Pollo is in the process of moving a block or two down the street, and neither its old nor new location are currently open.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:41 AM

118 posts, read 194,359 times
Judge for yourself with regard to L'Patron. Their carne asada is great.

I'd also add Cornerstone cafe at Diversey and Elston to the list of places worth trying.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Bulldog Bakery gets high marks. Haven't tried it myself yet so I'll take other folks' word for it for now.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:06 AM

106 posts, read 173,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Bulldog Bakery gets high marks. Haven't tried it myself yet so I'll take other folks' word for it for now.
Yea they are right across Elston, I would have stopped but they were closed (it was about 6)

Old 06-04-2013, 10:18 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
This is the food correspondant for ABC 7 News:

BTW this place was on the last Chicago episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern (one of their soups is weird but they have very good food there).

Old 06-04-2013, 11:08 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,319,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is the food correspondant for ABC 7 News:

BTW this place was on the last Chicago episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern (one of their soups is weird but they have very good food there).
I need to go. I forget it exists all the time because its so hidden!

Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 AM

216 posts, read 314,116 times
You are in luck OP. You live not far from me and I am a fat guy who likes to eat.

El Mazamitla at Central Park and Belmont is a solid taqueria, probably in the top 85th percentile in the city. The tortilla is in my opinion the most important part of the taco and theirs is always fresh, griddled to a slight crisp and just greasy enough. Their best taco fillings are the cecina (sliced salt beef) and birria (shredded goat). I usually give the chicken a pass at places like this but theirs is stewed with onions and really good.

Mic Ducks at Belmont and Kimball looks like a classic hot dog shack, but don't be fooled. This place kind of sucks. They use a mushy skinless dog and frozen fries, which is a mortal sin in a city where even mediocre stands use Vienna Beef dogs and fresh cut fries. Their Italian beef is so salty it's like a sponge soaked in seawater.

Just west of Mic Ducks (Mic Sucks) is an old-school neighborhood diner called Belmont Snack Shop. The kind of place that I imagine was once on every block, but is now sadly getting pushed out by Panera Bread and sh*tty overpriced brunch places. It's a pleasure to watch the veteran grillman sling eggs, bacon and corned beef hash with absolute precision and economy of motion. I won't say the food is great, but the burger and hash browns are a very good choice here.

If you head to Belmont and Milwaukee and then turn southeast on Milwaukee, you'll run into Red Apple Polish buffet on the left. This is the place to go if you want to build up a layer of insulation to survive the Chicago winter. The juxtaposition between the portly customers and the Euro-thin Polish waitresses is quite amusing. With mashed potatoes, sauerkraut, carved roast beef and turkey, kielbasa, schnitzel and chicken kiev on the menu, bypassing the salad bar is an easy decision at this place. Ladle their mushroom gravy over everything and it may kill you, but you'll die happy.

Last edited by eating while walking; 06-04-2013 at 11:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago