Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 08:17 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,987,752 times

Advertisements

So, I've been in Chicago for about a month and have been having trouble finding an apartment for $1100 per month. Maybe because I am trying to get as close to downtown as possible.

What areas should I be looking in? I currently work in Prudential Plaza and I like that the blue/red lines are accessible by the Pedway.

And I'm probably asking for two much..but a little view of something?!

I'm going to visit a couple of apartment-finder companies this weekend - so I hope they help as well..

I don't mind a really small studio either..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 09:56 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
You're having trouble finding it? Interesting. Now you can't find a 1 bedroom for that price in greater downtown but if you wanted a studio you could somewhere like Gold Coast if you want it "downtown." or real close to it. You could probably find some 1 bedrooms in Lincoln Park for that price maybe, but for sure studios...easily..and you can for sure find it in Lakeview for even a 1 bedroom. Quite easy. You could also use the Brown Line since it transfers to Red Line, so in that case something like Lincoln Square. Hell you could even probably get a 2 bedroom in Pilsen for around $1100/month (which is on the Pink Line but goes right into the Loop).

Here you go:
Chicago Apartments | 727 W. Briar Place | Domu Chicago
Chicago Apartments | 878 W LILL AVE | Domu Chicago
Chicago Apartments | 2335-45 N. Geneva Terr. / 2348-62 N. Cambridge Ave. | Domu Chicago
Chicago Apartments | 544 W. Melrose | Domu Chicago

etc

Last edited by marothisu; 06-27-2013 at 10:05 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 10:14 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,987,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You're having trouble finding it? Interesting. Now you can't find a 1 bedroom for that price in greater downtown but if you wanted a studio you could somewhere like Gold Coast if you want it "downtown." or real close to it. You could probably find some 1 bedrooms in Lincoln Park for that price maybe, but for sure studios...easily..and you can for sure find it in Lakeview for even a 1 bedroom. Quite easy. You could also use the Brown Line since it transfers to Red Line, so in that case something like Lincoln Square. Hell you could even probably get a 2 bedroom in Pilsen for around $1100/month (which is on the Pink Line but goes right into the Loop).

Here you go:
Chicago Apartments | 727 W. Briar Place | Domu Chicago
Chicago Apartments | 878 W LILL AVE | Domu Chicago
Chicago Apartments | 2335-45 N. Geneva Terr. / 2348-62 N. Cambridge Ave. | Domu Chicago
Chicago Apartments | 544 W. Melrose | Domu Chicago

etc
Thanks for the links!!! I was looking in the Gold Coast for studios also. Found this. I don't think the reviews were too good on YELP though..

Rent and Pricing of Gold Coast Apartments - 14 West Elm Apartments

Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 PM

58 posts, read 125,873 times
Marina City could be an option. Studios tend to rent for around 1,000 give or take

Marina City

Old 06-28-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Thanks for the links!!! I was looking in the Gold Coast for studios also. Found this. I don't think the reviews were too good on YELP though..

Rent and Pricing of Gold Coast Apartments - 14 West Elm Apartments
14 W Elm is in Gold Coast but also above the late/semi crowded place Hanggee Uppe. Here's my opinion of the whole thing. Being "real close to downtown" is overrated. Now, I do live in the Gold Coast, but I only do so because I too thought this when I first moved here. Your budget is semi limited for these areas, and IMO areas like Lakeview are even better. Really, what are you sacrificing? Actually pretty much nothing. There's more stuff in Lakeview versus the Gold Coast, and the train ride to Prudential is only maybe 20 minutes from Belmont. I would honestly look at an area like Lakeview instead. You get more bang for your buck too as you can see there.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:22 AM

896 posts, read 1,400,835 times
Quote:
14 W Elm is in Gold Coast but also above the late/semi crowded place Hanggee Uppe. Here's my opinion of the whole thing. Being "real close to downtown" is overrated. Now, I do live in the Gold Coast, but I only do so because I too thought this when I first moved here. Your budget is semi limited for these areas, and IMO areas like Lakeview are even better. Really, what are you sacrificing? Actually pretty much nothing. There's more stuff in Lakeview versus the Gold Coast, and the train ride to Prudential is only maybe 20 minutes from Belmont. I would honestly look at an area like Lakeview instead. You get more bang for your buck too as you can see there.

So Marothisu, are you going to move further away from downtown when your lease is up? I knew a couple of people from Michigan did the same thing. They thought they had to move downtown and end up moving to Lakeview or some other neighborhood.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
So Marothisu, are you going to move further away from downtown when your lease is up? I knew a couple of people from Michigan did the same thing. They thought they had to move downtown and end up moving to Lakeview or some other neighborhood.
I don't have a problem with my current place and my area is fine, but I have thought about moving to an area like Ukrainian Village, Albany Park, etc. Maybe parts of Lakeview, who knows. The thing I like about my current area is that (besides that it's actually kind of quiet) is the fact that I work in the Loop, so I can maximize my sleeping time on weekdays

Old 06-28-2013, 09:58 AM

896 posts, read 1,400,835 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with my current place and my area is fine, but I have thought about moving to an area like Ukrainian Village, Albany Park, etc. Maybe parts of Lakeview, who knows. The thing I like about my current area is that (besides that it's actually kind of quiet) is the fact that I work in the Loop, so I can maximize my sleeping time on weekdays
That's a good point. The extra sleep time is heaven! I know because I use to live a one min drive or 7 minute walk to the old hospital I use to work at and I use to wake up pretty late and still get to work at 9. Living further up north will add to your communte time and can place extra stress, but if you like the neighborhood or work flexible times it can work out and might be worth it.

If the OP chose Lakeview or Lincoln Park it is quick to get to and from Downtown, but during peak times it can be up to 30 minutes.

This will the OP something to think about and prioritize.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 AM

123 posts, read 153,036 times
Living downtown would be overpriced and boring. You need to get into the neighborhoods. That's where the true Chicago experience is. Definitely look in Lakeview and Lincoln Park or check out Bucktown/Wicker Park/Logan Square, all 15 minute train rides downtown. I've lived in Lincoln Park, Edgewater, Lakeview, River North, Andersonville, Logan Square and Albany Park. Logan Square was by far my favorite.

When it comes to commute times, focus more on how close you live to a train, not how long you'll be on it.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:22 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,813,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
So, I've been in Chicago for about a month and have been having trouble finding an apartment for $1100 per month. Maybe because I am trying to get as close to downtown as possible.

What areas should I be looking in? I currently work in Prudential Plaza and I like that the blue/red lines are accessible by the Pedway.

And I'm probably asking for two much..but a little view of something?!

I'm going to visit a couple of apartment-finder companies this weekend - so I hope they help as well..

I don't mind a really small studio either..
Presidential Towers is your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago