Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 06:07 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times

Advertisements

Yuck, The Loop is a ****ing terrible, boring place to live. That is not the place you want to live even if you want to enjoy high rise living in Chicago. Your friend won't be able to do it equally WITH a car in the downtown areas. If you want a walkable area, then there are much better places that your friend can own his car, not pay up the ass for parking, and still be able to live a normal life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 06:12 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHW View Post
Thanks for the replies!

We're for sure going to live together.

We've been roommates before so that ins and outs of being roommates isn't a concern.
If this is true, and you can compromise on the "where" to live, then what he does with his car, his income beyond halves on living expenses is none of your business really.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:17 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times
Live where you want and are comfortable with, if it's not good enough for your friend, they can always move out on their own.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:26 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yuck, The Loop is a ****ing terrible, boring place to live. That is not the place you want to live even if you want to enjoy high rise living in Chicago. Your friend won't be able to do it equally WITH a car in the downtown areas. If you want a walkable area, then there are much better places that your friend can own his car, not pay up the ass for parking, and still be able to live a normal life.
The O.P. may be using "Loop" as shorthand for "Central Area," which would means they're also considering places like River North and the Gold Coast or the South Loop, which also have a lot of high rises and are more interesting than the Loop proper is. That said I'm not the best person to ask about high rises because I really prefer living in smaller buildings even though I love the views from high rises. I like the better feeling of connection to the city in the smaller buildings.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The O.P. may be using "Loop" as shorthand for "Central Area," which would means they're also considering places like River North and the Gold Coast or the South Loop, which also have a lot of high rises and are more interesting than the Loop proper is. That said I'm not the best person to ask about high rises because I really prefer living in smaller buildings even though I love the views from high rises. I like the better feeling of connection to the city in the smaller buildings.
Good point, but on $40k-$45k with a car, not going to happen. Last girl I dated's salary was around $40K, with no car. I know what she made after taxes and let's just say that my rent in a high rise that is considered good for the area was still over half of what her take away was. Now, add a car ($180+/month) to that and yeah. I mean it's POSSIBLE, if that person has like no debt, doesn't like to go out at all, and lives very frugally, but yeah.

Really would recommend at looking at outside areas of town which as we all know are just as good if not better than "downtown" in many aspects.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:11 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
My prediction: In 12 months, these 2 will no longer be roommates because OP is subsidizing a large portion of roommates living expenses and lifestyle. There will be resentment, falling into debt, 'loans', etc and these two will end up no longer being roommates, friends or whatever they are.

To the OP, this sounds like a financial disaster (for your) waiting to happen. Walk away, get your own place and have your roommate over for dinner a few times a week.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:43 AM
OHW OHW started this thread

102 posts, read 147,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
My prediction: In 12 months, these 2 will no longer be roommates because OP is subsidizing a large portion of roommates living expenses and lifestyle. There will be resentment, falling into debt, 'loans', etc and these two will end up no longer being roommates, friends or whatever they are.

To the OP, this sounds like a financial disaster (for your) waiting to happen. Walk away, get your own place and have your roommate over for dinner a few times a week.
My guess is if he gets into a situation where money is a problem, his parents will step in.

It seems like my best argument for staying out of the Loop is that it plain isn't affordable for him. I think if I present that in an honest manor, he'll listen.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
OHW, why do you keep trying to frame it so that it's not affordable to him? Why can't you say that it isn't the place you'd prefer to live? I really don't understand why the person who can't afford to live in the area is the biggest influence in the decision. Maybe it's time for him to learn what being an adult is like. His parents are enabling him, and it sounds like you might be, too.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:40 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
That's how I see this going, too.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
OHW, why do you keep trying to frame it so that it's not affordable to him? Why can't you say that it isn't the place you'd prefer to live? I really don't understand why the person who can't afford to live in the area is the biggest influence in the decision. Maybe it's time for him to learn what being an adult is like. His parents are enabling him, and it sounds like you might be, too.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago