Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 10,992 times

Advertisements

My husband may be getting a job in Schaumburg. We would love to live in the city. I've heard Lincoln Park is excellent but I read on others posts that the commute to Schaumburg would be 1.25 hrs minimum. I also read that Jefferson Square (?) and Irving Park would be nice alternatives and cut the commute by 20 minutes.

I have been looking at housing online. We need at least a 3 bedroom. I am finding 3 bedrooms in Lincoln Park ~1700 sq ft, some brand new in the $500k range. And even bigger places in Irving Park in the $425k range. Am I missing something??? Is there something wrong with these places? I was expecting it to be more expensive.

Also, would we be completely nuts for living in one of those areas and having my husband commute to Schaumburg? I am a stay at home. We have a 1 year old and another one on the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 06:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Expecting them to be more expensive? Where are you from N.Y.C.?
For most people that were born in Chicago in blue collar families 500k is ridiculous.
I am not trying to be mean, but you used to be able to get a decent 3 bedroom in a decent area for like 125-175k 15 years ago.

As far as the commute you would be better off in Jefferson Park, Norwood Park, the O'Hare area,Edison Park... I recommend Edison Park the most.

Good luck...

Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
No those prices are about right. Damn shame too

.... I'm with Avenger, I grew up with a dad who worked construction, during the 70's one could actually afford to buy a house for your family on those wages (perhaps not in the swankiest of neighborhoods as I grew up in the south suburbs, but the point was that housing was not entirely out of reach to those who made the modern day equivalent of 35-60k a year).

Old 11-14-2007, 07:01 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,382,244 times
I have friends in real estate who fairly regularly buy full single family homes (3-4 bedroom houses, often with freestanding garages) in the Mayfair area (between Lincoln Square and Jefferson Park) for 400k.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:24 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
I'm assuming you're talking about condos in the case on Lincoln Park? Most free-standing houses of any kind are well over a million dollars in that neighborhood. But you can still find single-family homes in Irving Park for around $500,000. Why? Irving Park is a very mixed-income community and there are still some gangs around. It's much further from the Loop than Lincoln Park, and has less density. If you look at the statistics, Irving Park still has a huge percentage of Latino residents, and this does still scare off some buyers, regrettably.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:27 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Expecting them to be more expensive? Where are you from N.Y.C.?
For most people that were born in Chicago in blue collar families 500k is ridiculous.
totally agree. if you grew up in this city, you know how ridiculous the statement "only $500k?" is...esp for a 3 bedroom house. because when all is said and done, its the rough and tumble blue collar set who built this city and make it what it is, not the Trixies and Chads walking around Lincoln Park.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:57 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Everyone made this city what it is. People in Chicago tend to over-glorify the working class roots of this city. The elites had as much (if not more) to do with making Chicago what it was/is as the blue collar workers. We have always had both in Chicago, and each makes his/her own contribution. In fact, it's the yuppies who are driving the city forward now that the manufacturing economy has dried up. Without all of the yuppies in Chicago goign to their creative class jobs, this town would be down the tubes just like Detroit. We have escaped that fate because of the middle and upper class interest in the city.

I say this fully recognizing the fact that my roots are entirely working class. My relatives lived on the south side and in towns like Gary, Calumet City, and Hammond. Many of them only had 8th grade educations and worked for the railroads and as seamstresses in corset factories. I don't deny their part in making Chicago great--but we can't overstate it either while devaluing the contributions of others.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:10 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
I agree with you Lookout Kid. There has to be room for all of us here. I'm a former south-suburbanite with blue collar roots myself, but working in the arts now (and am glad that I can continue to live here and do so), so I sometimes feel like I straddle both worlds.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:33 AM

145 posts, read 643,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmommy View Post

I have been looking at housing online. We need at least a 3 bedroom. I am finding 3 bedrooms in Lincoln Park ~1700 sq ft, some brand new in the $500k range.
It would appear that Lincoln Park has not been able to escape the fate of the larger housing market. This past summer, anything new in the mainly east sections of Lincoln Park approaching1800 sq. ft (so slightly larger) with 3 beds, was over $600K. So, on a more contrarian note than my fellow posters, to me it appears that you are getting somewhat of a deal!

Old 11-15-2007, 11:28 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Default It is crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm assuming you're talking about condos in the case on Lincoln Park? Most free-standing houses of any kind are well over a million dollars in that neighborhood. But you can still find single-family homes in Irving Park for around $500,000. Why? Irving Park is a very mixed-income community and there are still some gangs around. It's much further from the Loop than Lincoln Park, and has less density. If you look at the statistics, Irving Park still has a huge percentage of Latino residents, and this does still scare off some buyers, regrettably.

Old Irving Park is 500k and up for sure. I doubt the rest of Irving Park is 500k and up. If it is, I would be very shocked. Maybe in pockets it is or near the border of Portage Park with the new construction ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago