Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,584 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving from Manhattan to Chicago next summer for a new job. I'm originally from the Midwest, but I don't have great familiarity with the various Chicago neighborhoods. I have a couple friends who live in Lincoln Park, but I've never visited.

My stats:
* I'm 23
* Looking for a 1-bedroom; willing to spend up to $2,300 / month but would obviously prefer lower rent (willing to pay more for closer proximity to work)
* Working at 300 N. LaSalle
* No car
* Nightlife is important to me; I would like some diversity though (i.e., something more than the common fratty college bar)

I was originally interested in River North, because I could walk to work from there. The downside is that rent is much higher in this area, and I was told that the population is older than some other areas (maybe more for the age range of 28-35?). Because of that, I've been more interested in Lincoln Park. Here I could save on rent, use the train for a fairly easy commute (I assume), and live near a population that would be closer to my age and interests. That's where I'm at today. I'm completely open to any suggestions though.

Do you have any thoughts and/or recommendations?

Thank you!

Edit: By the way, I know there are a lot of threads that compare/contrast neighbhorhoods. I've looked through them, but I would still appreciate any thoughts given my particular situation. Thanks.

Last edited by bigten10; 09-09-2013 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 03:37 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
First of all, $2300/month is an easy target to hit in the city. You could get a luxury 1 bedroom rental even in some places "downtown" for $1600/month and up. Perhaps $1800 would be the median price for that right now. I live north of River North and pay under $1400/month for my 1 bedroom but it's not luxury (liveable for sure though).

As much as people want to believe it, Lincoln Park also has many families, rich old people, etc living in it as well as people well into their 30s and 40s, as well as 18-25 year olds.

In all honesty, my first suggestion would be River North. First of all, you are 23, so even if the average age was 28-35, that's not saying much really. River North does have some diversity in its nightlife (lounges, dive bars, sports bars, clubs), but things are obviously more expensive there on average. People of all ages are in River North and are there on a daily basis from your age all the way up to 60+, but the nightlife is young there and I'd say it's 23-40 on average. You can also walk to work as you've noticed, which means you can probably save even more money for other fun stuff to do every month.

Other areas you may want to consider might be Wicker Park or Bucktown, which is on the Blue Line.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:27 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
First of all, $2300/month is an easy target to hit in the city. You could get a luxury 1 bedroom rental even in some places "downtown" for $1600/month and up. Perhaps $1800 would be the median price for that right now. I live north of River North and pay under $1400/month for my 1 bedroom but it's not luxury (liveable for sure though).

As much as people want to believe it, Lincoln Park also has many families, rich old people, etc living in it as well as people well into their 30s and 40s, as well as 18-25 year olds.

In all honesty, my first suggestion would be River North. First of all, you are 23, so even if the average age was 28-35, that's not saying much really. River North does have some diversity in its nightlife (lounges, dive bars, sports bars, clubs), but things are obviously more expensive there on average. People of all ages are in River North and are there on a daily basis from your age all the way up to 60+, but the nightlife is young there and I'd say it's 23-40 on average. You can also walk to work as you've noticed, which means you can probably save even more money for other fun stuff to do every month.

Other areas you may want to consider might be Wicker Park or Bucktown, which is on the Blue Line.
For three options, I list some pros/cons below. But basically you have three questions:

1) How close do I want to be to the office?
2) How easily do I want to be able to visit my friends in Lincoln Park?
3) If I don't care about 1) and 2), do I mind sacrificing proximity to the Lakefront to be closer to some cooler, more cutting-edge local culture?

River North
Pros: Close to work, close to Michigan Avenue, close to the Loop, excellent mass transit options, not too far from the Lakefront Path and Ohio Street and/or Oak Street beaches, lots of clubs, lots of bars, lots of both casual and fine dining restaurants, lots of art galleries if you like that sort of thing, can live car-free
Cons: Mainly cost, slightly older demographic, fewer trees, only a couple parks, expensive to maintain a car if you decide you want one, less small retailers or hip little shops

Lincoln Park
Pros: Leafy, the east half is close to the Lake and the very large Lincoln Park itself, some areas have a lot of little local shops, plenty of college-aged and just-graduated-aged young people, cost of living is lower than River North - more space for the same money, or same space for less money, still has good transit options, can definitely be lived in car-free
Cons: Longer commute, further from Michigan Ave, the Loop, etc., not close to the Blue Line or most commuter rail lines, having a car is still not cheap but slightly more desirable.

Wicker Park/Bucktown
Pros: Leafier than River North, some parts as leafy as Lincoln Park, lots of smaller shops, some local, some not, easier access to O'Hare via the Blue Line if your job requires travel, access to 300 N Lasalle is pretty fast via the Blue Line or dedicated bike lanes, having a car is slightly easier while still not 100% necessary, somewhat cheaper than River North, plenty of nightlife along Milwaukee and Division, some along Damen and North, too, and more diverse than the nightlife in River North. Could be called "Brooklynish" - Brooklyn Industries has a store there, even., close to Logan Square, which is a huge hipster area now (this could also be a 'Con' depending on your view of hipsters)
Cons: Other than the Blue Line, transit is not as pervasive, not well-connected to the Lakefront and/or lakefront neighborhoods, which can be isolating if everyone you know is in the lakefront neighborhoods, less high-end establishments if you like that sort of things,

Old 09-09-2013, 06:07 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
I would add Lakeview to the list of neighborhoods as well. Many recent college grads move to the neighborhood, so the age range is right, and it will have a better nightlife than Lincoln Park.

There are a lot of bro bars near Wrigley Field, but there are also plenty of places that aren't and are more relaxed. There's also the gay bars in Boystown closer to the lake, if that interests you.

You would also only be adding an extra 5 minutes by using the Belmont or Addison redline stops over the Fullerton stop in Lincoln Park.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,584 times
How would you compare Gold Coast (specifically 10 West Elm Street) vs River North? 10 West Elm Street seems like a good central location (near the beach, near a good selection of bars/restaurants -- but probably couldn't walk to work from here). I think I've narrowed my neighborhoods down to River North, Old Town, and Gold Coast. I would prefer River North due to its proximity to work (walkable) and nightlife, but I've found some cheaper options in the other two neighborhoods but I'm not sure if the difference in scene/culture (older crowd?) and location (probably need to use public transportation instead of walking) counter the benefits of the reduced rent. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thank you.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:42 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigten10 View Post
I think I've narrowed my neighborhoods down to River North, Old Town, and Gold Coast.
I've never lived in any of these 3 but from my experiences having spent time in all 3 my opinion would be

1) Old Town
2) Gold Coast
way behind at 3) River North

Old 05-09-2014, 12:56 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I really like emathias' breakdown on this.

Without getting too crude I am going to ask you how important it is for you to have lots of people your own age and at an income / educational level suitable for potential dating?

I think e has a partner and is not into any stereotypical "scene" but I also think he has broad enough experience to say that for folks in the early 20s, gay or straight, a big part of one's social scene is simply the presence of other like you.

If you say a similar factor is "very important" I would suggest focusing on places that are a little further from work as they are going to be a better "fit" in a social aspect. Based and on age and budget Lakeview is where I would concentrate my search for housing. Wicker Park would also be a near the top of the list for someone in your situation. No matter if you are straight, gay or otherwise it makes more sense to spend a bit more and get a place that has not just modern conveniences but a whole lot more of a neighborhood feel where meeting people like you and having "fun" with neighbors is priority.

To be sure there is no shortage of nightspts in River North but they are not nearly as geared toward locals as in the areas I am suggesting. A couple of extra minutes on the El is really just more time to socialization in such a setting. I have no doubt that there are some folks your age that do hang out and "chill" in some obscure place near the Gold Coast or Old Town but unless you are not nearly as social as I am guessing it just makes more sense to be "in the center of things" than in the periphery especially given the nice budget you have to work with.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:53 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times
Quote:
How would you compare Gold Coast (specifically 10 West Elm Street) vs River North? 10 West Elm Street seems like a good central location (near the beach, near a good selection of bars/restaurants -- but probably couldn't walk to work from here). I think I've narrowed my neighborhoods down to River North, Old Town, and Gold Coast. I would prefer River North due to its proximity to work (walkable) and nightlife, but I've found some cheaper options in the other two neighborhoods but I'm not sure if the difference in scene/culture (older crowd?) and location (probably need to use public transportation instead of walking) counter the benefits of the reduced rent. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thank you.
You could walk to work (1.2 miles) if you feel ambitious. My daily walk from the Gold Coast to the Loop is a little further than that and I enjoy it. River North and Gold Coast would both be great (not a big fan of Old Town) but River North is probably a little more convenient.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:58 PM

271 posts, read 369,528 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am moving from Manhattan to Chicago next summer for a new job. I'm originally from the Midwest, but I don't have great familiarity with the various Chicago neighborhoods. I have a couple friends who live in Lincoln Park, but I've never visited.

My stats:
* I'm 23
* Looking for a 1-bedroom; willing to spend up to $2,300 / month but would obviously prefer lower rent (willing to pay more for closer proximity to work)
* Working at 300 N. LaSalle
* No car
* Nightlife is important to me; I would like some diversity though (i.e., something more than the common fratty college bar)

I was originally interested in River North, because I could walk to work from there. The downside is that rent is much higher in this area, and I was told that the population is older than some other areas (maybe more for the age range of 28-35?). Because of that, I've been more interested in Lincoln Park. Here I could save on rent, use the train for a fairly easy commute (I assume), and live near a population that would be closer to my age and interests. That's where I'm at today. I'm completely open to any suggestions though.

Do you have any thoughts and/or recommendations?

Thank you!

Edit: By the way, I know there are a lot of threads that compare/contrast neighbhorhoods. I've looked through them, but I would still appreciate any thoughts given my particular situation. Thanks.
You cannot go wrong with Downtown Chicago, Lincoln Park, Lake View and West Town. If you are Hispanic or just low very gritty looking areas than I think the Lower West Side could be an alternative and you get a lot of apartment for 2,300 US dollar in Pilsen. If I had a budget of 2,300 US dollar I would get an apartment somewhere within Downtown Chicago close to a good hub of subways so you can get around the city easy and fast. I like Streeterville a lot. It within the Downtown, it has reasonable prices for small apartments, close to the lake, close to good public transport, cool skyscrapers and other stuff. So if you have friends in Lincoln Park – you just walk a few blocks to the subway and go there. I’m not sure of this but I think that Streeterville is cheaper than Lincoln Park and The Gold Coast. I rather have the “Manhattan-feeling” of Streeterville than some permanent far-away Brooklyn feeling in Lake View, Lincoln Park and West Town.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:26 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Your rent spectrum would indicate that you are not a hipster type, unless you are a very successful one.

If you want more of an urban experience, you could stay basically downtown: bordered by the river to the south and west and say Lincoln Park (actual park) to the north.

Going to the near west side is a little grittier/artsier.

Going north gets more neighborhoody...and there are dozens of neighborhoods to choose from. So you may just want to sign a year lease, sublet, etc., and get your bearings, then decide what's best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago