Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:12 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,358 times

Advertisements

If you're in the city you probably noticed all the films and tv shows shooting on location simultaneously as of late. It's cool that the city is becoming so popular in fiction as opposed to shows and movies set in NYC or L.A., though it can get a little grating having to take constant alternate routes because so and so is shooting here and someone else has the other area blocked off, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 08:18 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,889 times
Did you post this from the 80s? This isn't a new trend.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Did you post this from the 80s? This isn't a new trend.
This is true, though in the last handful of years it's becoming popular again to shoot in Chicago, or just have something take place here. There are some shows like Shameless and The League which take place here that aren't even shot here, but there are others that are (i.e. Chicago Fire). I think there are a few shows coming out soon that both take place in and are shot in town. I know what the OP is saying. It's not a new trend, but the number of filmings in the city are increasing as of late. Still nowhere near other cities in the US though like NYC and LA (and probably San Diego lumped with that).

Old 10-20-2013, 08:55 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,358 times
I mean having it take place all at the same time in such close proximity.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:14 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,825,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is true, though in the last handful of years it's becoming popular again to shoot in Chicago, or just have something take place here. There are some shows like Shameless and The League which take place here that aren't even shot here, but there are others that are (i.e. Chicago Fire). I think there are a few shows coming out soon that both take place in and are shot in town. I know what the OP is saying. It's not a new trend, but the number of filmings in the city are increasing as of late. Still nowhere near other cities in the US though like NYC and LA (and probably San Diego lumped with that).
San Diego?!

Old 10-20-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
San Diego?!
Yeah, things are shot in San Diego sometimes but labeled as LA type of thing..but I didn't mean that they have more filming than Chicago alone.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:52 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I mean having it take place all at the same time in such close proximity.
I know what you meant, but to me it really pales in comparison to all the Chicago movies that came out in the 80's. Maybe it is semi-rebounding after a slump, but I have a hard time viewing it as a "new trend."

And in the 80's the movies were actually set in Chicago. From my understanding the Transformers 4 (the movie I see the most Chicago-filming-hype about lately) scenes shot in Chicago will be set in Hong Kong.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:15 PM

A few new shows are set to come out, maybe they already have. One is Betrayal (New series 'Betrayal' filming in Chicago | abc7chicago.com) and another is Chicago PD which is a Dick Wolf show (Chicago PD (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Of course, Chicago Fire is getting good ratings still in the 7s or 8s. Sirens is also being done in Chicago (Chicago gets another rescue show as USA picks up Denis Leary comedy 'Sirens' - The Daily Sizzle).

Also, the shows Mind Games and Crisis were also shot in town this summer, though I'm not entirely sure if they take place in Chicago (I want to say that one of them doesn't).

Old 10-20-2013, 11:30 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,535 times
Probably has a lot to do with the huge studio lots at the old Ryerson plant and the tax breaks.

Most people don't know this, but Chicago was the hub of movies back in the Charlie Chaplin days. Hollywood was just a budding residential area.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:41 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,321,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Most people don't know this, but Chicago was the hub of movies back in the Charlie Chaplin days. Hollywood was just a budding residential area.
Yep. Essanay Studios on Argyle Street between Broadway and Clark. Just walked past there this afternoon, in fact. Charlie Chaplin, Gloria Swanson, Douglas Fairbanks, etc. Back in the days when Uptown was a center of glamour on Chicago's North Side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago