Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,827 times

Advertisements

I'm a young architect and artist. I command a salary of a whopping 48k.

I would like to move to a different city: big, international, highly cultured ect.

I've narrowed it down to Nyc and Chicago.

I'm a tad on the conservatie side so I don't think I would mind that about Chicago. My 48k
would also go much farther I know. however I am a highly creative person and I enjoy vibrant nightlife.

If I tell somone I am an artist in NYC they may be intrigued.
If I tell someone I'm an artist in Chicago, will they think I'm some sort of wackjob loser?

Is there an international fell in Chicago? Is it an upgrade culture wise from Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 08:43 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,283 times
Strictly speaking from a financial perspective--- Chicago. As someone who used to live in NYC, and loved it, I'd still pick Chicago over NYC from a purely "more bang for your buck" advantage.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:55 AM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times
I love ChiTown and there are definitely interesting people there doing good stuff in the arts. And of course as far as architecture goes, it's extraordinary. But that said, if you want to be in a creative field like art and architecture nothing compares with New York City. It's not only the center of that in the U.S. but one of the centers of art in the world. Obviously its far more expensive to live and to find studio space here than in Chicago. Only you can decide if the tradeoff is worth the price.

And don't worry about what people might say if you tell them you're an artist, whether it's in NY, Chitown, or Beantown. If you have that calling, as true artists do, you basically don't give a damn.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:01 AM

615 posts, read 1,382,083 times
I currently live in Chicago and have visited NYC recently.

I would LOVE to move to NYC, but the cost of living is so high, it would make it really difficult to have a decent lifestyle.

There are plenty of artist here in Chicago, and it is definitely diverse. NYC is of course going to be more diverse and vibrant as it is a much larger and denser city. I would say pick NYC if you are making at least 2.5x more than what you are currently making.

Since money is a concern, as it is for most of us, Chicago offers much better value. I actually don't like telling people that because then everyone will migrate to Chicago and drive the cost of living up.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,827 times
I'm not the most "avant guard" I just like making art, maybe I don't need the extreme diversity of the nyc scene?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:13 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonb24 View Post
I'm a young architect and artist. I command a salary of a whopping 48k.

I would like to move to a different city: big, international, highly cultured ect.

I've narrowed it down to Nyc and Chicago.

I'm a tad on the conservatie side so I don't think I would mind that about Chicago. My 48k
would also go much farther I know. however I am a highly creative person and I enjoy vibrant nightlife.

If I tell somone I am an artist in NYC they may be intrigued.
If I tell someone I'm an artist in Chicago, will they think I'm some sort of wackjob loser?

Is there an international fell in Chicago? Is it an upgrade culture wise from Boston?
To the bold, no!

Old 10-25-2013, 09:18 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,411,345 times
Will you move to either city jobless? Do you have enough savings to support yourself? Your moderate salary will be limiting in NYC.

Honestly, to be in a creative field it is wonderful to be in NYC once in your life, if you can handle that atmosphere. It is best to do it when you are young and willing to live on a shoestring and with multiple roommates. But along with being in the midst of the best and brightest, it is the most competitive. If you are not used to a big city, it certainly could be an overwhelming experience. Only you know how driven and talented and resourceful you are. And only you know how much you are willing to sacrifice.

If you are a little older, and looking for a place to set up roots long-term, I think Chicago is a wonderful option. You can live just fine on your current salary, and the size of Chicago alone guarantees more opportunities. The architecture is just fantastic, and there is a very thriving social/cultural/artistic scene. If you can't find it, you are not looking.

You will always find that people who are located on the coasts will often be clueless about Chicago. I also agree that in some respects, you have the opportunity for being a bigger fish here by going to a location that is a little less cutthroat.

If you decide to move to NYC, I recommend you start reading Mr. Money Mustache.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
My wife and I were both in creative fields in Chicago for many years. Architecture has been rough since about 2009 (this is not unique to Chicago), but this is truly one of the great architectural capitals of the world, and there are still many, many firms here.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:46 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I love ChiTown and there are definitely interesting people there doing good stuff in the arts. And of course as far as architecture goes, it's extraordinary. But that said, if you want to be in a creative field like art and architecture nothing compares with New York City. It's not only the center of that in the U.S. but one of the centers of art in the world. Obviously its far more expensive to live and to find studio space here than in Chicago. Only you can decide if the tradeoff is worth the price.

And don't worry about what people might say if you tell them you're an artist, whether it's in NY, Chitown, or Beantown. If you have that calling, as true artists do, you basically don't give a damn.
I can agree with the art side but architecture? Chicago is one of the premiere cities for that career. Perkins + Will is based here for crying out loud! Great place to admire, study and have a career in architecture.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:08 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
I can agree with the art side but architecture? Chicago is one of the premiere cities for that career. Perkins + Will is based here for crying out loud! Great place to admire, study and have a career in architecture.
Not to mention Adrian Smith & Gordon Gill are centered here who designed the Burj Khalifa in Dubai (amongst other buildings) as well as Skidmore, Owings & Merrill who also helped on the Burj Khalifa, but also had the contract for One World Trade Center. Others of course

To answer the question, no - nobody would think you're weird if you say you're an artist. There's tons of artists here and it's not weird at all. Even the most xenophobia, "I only stay in my neighborhood" types of people will be intrigued if you say this. I honestly have no idea why you'd think that art was some taboo **** in Chicago. It's a diverse city of almost 3 million people - of course there's many artists here.

NYC is like the mecca in the US for that type of stuff in general, but it's true that your money will probably get you further in Chicago than NYC. COL in NYC is a lot higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago