Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 01:32 PM

27 posts, read 35,493 times

Advertisements

Hi there. We are headed to Chicago to scout a possible move. We stayed for a month in an airbnb in Lincoln Park in January. We just booked a temp apartment on Kimball, just a block from the blue line Belmont stop. Is this a safe area? I've seen some mixed reports. I did see an armed robbery on the CPD crime map, but I honestly don't know how to gauge these things.

We have two boys, ages 15 and 10 when we arrive at the end of summer. They are both homeschooled and from Texas, so not city kids at all, but they are pretty tired of the sprawling burbs and lack of educational amenities we have here. My husband's employment makes us somewhat location independent, but his commute (he flies away to work each week) is often 10 hours each way (insane, yes) because we aren't in a transportation hub. Living in Chicago would drastically reduce his average commute time (he'd get home in 45 minutes from his current project in Ohio.)

We lived in Chicago before, but it was when our eldest (17) was a newborn, and we left after a year. I know that CHicago would have a LOT more to offer our kids in terms of activities, museums, internships, parks, zoos, etc. And they really dig four actual seasons (even if winter is long.) We have summer and fall here and that's it.

I am ultra torn about this. They're bored where we are and have done all there is to do about a million times, but as with many people on this forum, I am concerned about safety. The 14yo is pretty nerdy and naive. The 9yo is a bit more naturally savvy, but he has a lot to learn as well. It's not the homeschooling. They're just kids who grew up in pretty safe little subdivisions (where there dad and I were miserably bored.)

Any feedback would be helpful. I read a lot about safety in Chicago, and it is so so hard to really gauge when you arent there. We really loved living there years ago and would hope it hasn't changed *too* much.

Thanks for any feedback on that apartment on Kimball as well as any general feedback you can offer.

Chicagoorno?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 07:01 PM

To clarify, the Kimball apt is just for a month or two (or 3, worst case scenario) while we look for a permanent place.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:03 PM

23 posts, read 20,594 times
I'm a middle-aged dude with no kids, so I am not sure how valuable my feedback is really going to be to you. But, I've lived right in this area for just over two years now. I enjoy it a lot and haven't once had a significant concern for my safety. If you're more used to a Lincoln Park/Gold Coast type of environment, you'll have to deal with a bit more urban grit mainly visually. But if you have minimal street smarts and simply go about your business, I would say no problems from a safety standpoint.

Frankly, I feel safer around here regarding the potential for random street crimes (muggings, etc.) than I do in Lincoln Park-ish type areas. That's not to say that incidents don't happen sometimes, because they do. But really, it's not that easy to find trouble around here unless you're looking for it.

Hopefully someone else can chime in about schools, transitioning non-city kids into the city, etc.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:23 PM

381 posts, read 349,131 times
It's different than the lincoln park style area.
Is it safe? I don't know. To many it is. But to those not used to working class, less educated people... you might feel out of place. But not unsafe. The crime isn't bad bad. But it's around. Although I feel like you would get the same amount of crime in ritzy places, due to them being targeted.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:58 AM

Totally used to working class 'hoods. I grew up working class, Latina, in SATX. We're professionals, mixed-ethnicity couple, and I can kind of mix it up with all kinds. So if that's the vibe, then yeah, I can handle it. I just don't want to worry about a constant threat of danger, if that makes sense.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:12 AM

381 posts, read 349,131 times
Cool. I'm the same. Except latino.. not tina.
It's fine.
I just didn't want you to be disappointed with the lack of "American white " businesses. You'll get your elotes, tamales, tacos, etc.
It also lacks an entertainment area... so you'll have to go to other parts of the city for that.

But to your main concern.. safety. Not bad. Any working class neighborhood will usually have gangs, but they are less violent than those clicks from real ghettos. So don't be discouraged by graffiti and what not.

To sum it up. .. Dense. Working class(although i feel a lot more professionals have moved in since i left that area so it might not even be the same)

Train and expressway access...
City safe.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:54 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,088 times
I believe Belmont and Kimball is part of the Avondale community area. From what I understand, it's been coming up over the past ten years or so... people moving west who've been priced out of Lakeview, North Center, etc.

I'm a middle-aged white male who always felt perfectly fine walking around the area during the daytime. I haven't really experienced it at night, though -- except for transferring from the Blue Line train to the Belmont bus.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:08 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,649 times
In addition to the elotes you will find a couple very good Polish restaurants. Give them a try OP. My wife is a latina from Houston and insists on eating Polish food in Avondale every time we visit. I moved to Texas late 90s but still have family in Avondale and we often walk to Staropolska or Red Apple at night with no issues.

Access to Logan and Wicker park is easy for more nightlife and options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
Cool. I'm the same. Except latino.. not tina.
It's fine.
I just didn't want you to be disappointed with the lack of "American white " businesses. You'll get your elotes, tamales, tacos, etc.
It also lacks an entertainment area... so you'll have to go to other parts of the city for that.

But to your main concern.. safety. Not bad. Any working class neighborhood will usually have gangs, but they are less violent than those clicks from real ghettos. So don't be discouraged by graffiti and what not.

To sum it up. .. Dense. Working class(although i feel a lot more professionals have moved in since i left that area so it might not even be the same)

Train and expressway access...
City safe.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:13 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,649 times
Yes the Eastern part of Avondale looks to have changed a bit. I don't go to that side much as my relatives live on Drake. More of Moe's or Alice's type of folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I believe Belmont and Kimball is part of the Avondale community area. From what I understand, it's been coming up over the past ten years or so... people moving west who've been priced out of Lakeview, North Center, etc.

I'm a middle-aged white male who always felt perfectly fine walking around the area during the daytime. I haven't really experienced it at night, though -- except for transferring from the Blue Line train to the Belmont bus.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:57 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
I live north of there. It's not pretty and manicured like Lincoln Park, it's a working class neighborhood. It's fine regarding safety, yes stuff DOES happen, but there are tens of thousands of people who live in the area and large degree of violent crime that does happen tends to be people targeting people or stuff later at night. If you're law abiding normal people going about your business of course something COULD happen, but I wouldn't sit around worrying and wouldn't expect it to happen. It'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago