Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Chicago: relocating, condo, safe area, housing, apartment.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:13 AM

19 posts, read 115,005 times

Advertisements

Hi thanks for reading!

I am a single female relocating to Chicago very soon from Atlanta. My new job will be in 60606 zipcode (financial district in Chicago, I guess?) and I'm looking for a 1 br condo/apt

1) in a SAFE neighborhood

2) where my everyday commute will be easy (close to train station, and preferably close to highway, too in case I need to drive somewhere)

3) with a parking lot (A lot of people told me to sell my car before I move since I will be using train/bus most of times, but I prefer not to give up my car... you really think it's not wise?)

Any location suggestion?

I would be willing to pay some more for a decent place. Please comment if you have any condo/apt suggestion as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 08:02 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,667,509 times
How much are you willing to spend? That can be such a subjective question, because if you're coming from New York Chicago will seem cheap as hell, but if you're coming from a smaller city like Kansas City it will be very expensive. If you give a price we'll probably be able to better help you.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:05 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,971,142 times
You will be working in the Loop (the central business district) which is the hub of all public transit in the Chicagoland area. You literally can live almost anywhere within a 40mile radius of the Loop (well except to the east, its wet )and be within a one hour commute by commuter rail (much better than driving). Do you want to live in a Manhattan-like environment or out in the boonies next to farmland? How much are you willing to pay for housing? In other words, being more specific will lead to better answers for you.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:46 PM

Thank you both for the reply!

Having lived my almost 25 yrs of whole life in Atlanta, I'm just so used to driving everywhere, but I am told from everybody that it's not the case in Chicago.

I do not mind at all riding on a subway to get to work, but I would prefer to live not right in the city, but a bit toward suburb (?) as long as there is a train line.

My price range for the apt/condo would go up to 2,000/mth (willing to pay for a safe/decent place) and I assume I would have better luck finding decent priced housing in suburb than in the city.

Oh, and since I plan to keep my car, I would like a parking lot, too.

One quick question.... I'm so used to shopping at those big chain grocery stores down here in Atlanta... just wondering where people shop in Chicago? I guess, people living in the city would go shop at small local grocery stores like in Manhattan? but what about ppl living in suburb?

Thanks a bunch!

Old 11-21-2007, 03:37 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,257,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marissa07 View Post
Thank you both for the reply!

Having lived my almost 25 yrs of whole life in Atlanta, I'm just so used to driving everywhere, but I am told from everybody that it's not the case in Chicago.

I do not mind at all riding on a subway to get to work, but I would prefer to live not right in the city, but a bit toward suburb (?) as long as there is a train line.

My price range for the apt/condo would go up to 2,000/mth (willing to pay for a safe/decent place) and I assume I would have better luck finding decent priced housing in suburb than in the city.

Oh, and since I plan to keep my car, I would like a parking lot, too.

One quick question.... I'm so used to shopping at those big chain grocery stores down here in Atlanta... just wondering where people shop in Chicago? I guess, people living in the city would go shop at small local grocery stores like in Manhattan? but what about ppl living in suburb?

Thanks a bunch!
What are you looking for in a neighborhood? You could get a 1 bedroom in any neighborhood in the city for that price. You could live in the Gold Coast (very safe and very close to where you work), or even within walking distance to work if you want. The burbs are an option. You might want to check out Oak Park. I also had a car for 6 years in Chicago. If you live in a trendier neighborhood, budget up to 250 for parking. Otherwise, you could even find places with street parking in some neighborhoods. Most large complexes have parking available (not included in price), and other small ones might either have parking or you could get within a few blocks of your place. In the burbs, street parking would likely be available. In Chicago and the burbs, we still have large chains (dominicks, jewel, whole foods, trader joes) and they are all over the place. Have you been to Chicago to visit? There are a lot more "neighborhood" places that would be a quick commute, but not feel as if you were living in Manhatten. You can also check out train lines at Metra - Welcome to Metra (for the suburb commuting line) or Chicago Transit Authority | 1-888-YOURCTA (for the el)

Old 11-21-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
What are you looking for in a neighborhood? You could get a 1 bedroom in any neighborhood in the city for that price. You could live in the Gold Coast (very safe and very close to where you work), or even within walking distance to work if you want. The burbs are an option. You might want to check out Oak Park. I also had a car for 6 years in Chicago. If you live in a trendier neighborhood, budget up to 250 for parking. Otherwise, you could even find places with street parking in some neighborhoods. Most large complexes have parking available (not included in price), and other small ones might either have parking or you could get within a few blocks of your place. In the burbs, street parking would likely be available. In Chicago and the burbs, we still have large chains (dominicks, jewel, whole foods, trader joes) and they are all over the place. Have you been to Chicago to visit? There are a lot more "neighborhood" places that would be a quick commute, but not feel as if you were living in Manhatten. You can also check out train lines at Metra - Welcome to Metra (for the suburb commuting line) or Chicago Transit Authority | 1-888-YOURCTA (for the el)
Thanks jessiegirl_98 for your reply!

I'm starting to think more and more that I should live very close to work though that means I will have to pay more for the housing.... 'cause my job will be VERY demanding which requires me to get in work early, stay till late at night and work often during wknds. I would think, no matter how convenient the commute via train is, it'd still be stressful to go thru 30+ minutes commute after a long day of work at like 11pm. Plus, I wouldn't feel so safe riding on a train by myself say at 11pm or later (don't even know till how late it runs though...)

So, I think I will look into Gold Coast you mentioned. Do you have any other suggestions in terms of safe neighborhood in the city that's relatively close to 60606 zipcode?

Everybody says to stay away from east side (close to lake?), and I'm curious as to why? I once thought living in an apt/condo overlooking the lake would be cool w/ a great view....

It's good to know that big chain supermarkets are all over the city (I LOVE Trader Joe & Wholefoods )!!!

Thanks again!

Old 11-21-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks jessiegirl_98 for your reply!

I'm starting to think more and more that I should live very close to work though that means I will have to pay more for the housing.... 'cause my job will be VERY demanding which requires me to get in work early, stay till late at night and work often during wknds. I would think, no matter how convenient the commute via train is, it'd still be stressful to go thru 30+ minutes commute after a long day of work at like 11pm. Plus, I wouldn't feel so safe riding on a train by myself say at 11pm or later (don't even know till how late it runs though...)

So, I think I will look into Gold Coast you mentioned. Do you have any other suggestions in terms of safe neighborhood in the city that's relatively close to 60606 zipcode?

Everybody says to stay away from east side (close to lake?), and I'm curious as to why? I once thought living in an apt/condo overlooking the lake would be cool w/ a great view....

It's good to know that big chain supermarkets are all over the city (I LOVE Trader Joe & Wholefoods )!!!

Thanks again!

If you are working that late, then I wouldn't live in the burbs as the commuter trains only run certain hours (the el runs more around the clock though). I would live in the Gold Coast, Loop, or West Loop. You could honestly go to your place of work and find places within a few blocks in your price range if you wanted. And whoever told you to stay away from the east side doesn't know their east from West The east side, especially downtown, near north, is very trendy and expensive because it is on the lake. You are right, finding a place overlooking the lake would be awesome, and is very desirable.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:10 PM

Thanks for your suggestions! I will look into those neighborhoods

You said those neighborhoods are very safe, but I'm just curious as to how safe? I mean, can a single female like myself go to a restaurant, or walk home from work at 11pm - 12am at night and feel safe?

I would think a lot of young professionals live in those neighborhoods being so close to financial district in the city?

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions! I will look into those neighborhoods

You said those neighborhoods are very safe, but I'm just curious as to how safe? I mean, can a single female like myself go to a restaurant, or walk home from work at 11pm - 12am at night and feel safe?

I would think a lot of young professionals live in those neighborhoods being so close to financial district in the city?

Thanks!
As a young female, I always feel very safe walking alone at that time of night in those areas because there are still so many people out. With any neighborhood, you need to be aware of your surroundings but you shouldn't have a problem in those areas. I lived by myself in the Gold Coast and would walk to diners, bars, etc pretty late and felt OK. When are you moving?

Old 11-21-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
As a young female, I always feel very safe walking alone at that time of night in those areas because there are still so many people out. With any neighborhood, you need to be aware of your surroundings but you shouldn't have a problem in those areas. I lived by myself in the Gold Coast and would walk to diners, bars, etc pretty late and felt OK. When are you moving?
That's good to hear! I will definitely start doing some serious apt/condo hunting in those areas. Thanks!

New company is putting together an offer package for me right now (got a verbal offer and email from them though already) and we will be negotiating the starting date, but I'm shooting for early next year. I'd assume it would be freezing by then and would love to wait till spring time to move, but ah well, I don't think they can afford to give me that much of time before having me there, so I guess I have no choice. *shrug*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: