Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,912 times

Advertisements

It looks likely I will be relocating to Chicago for work. I am a single 40ish female. I am looking for suggestions on areas to rent (or where not to).
A few details:
- I will be home officed, so daily commute is not an issue.
- I will, however, be traveling to hospitals both in Chicago and in a broader regional area both by car and by plane, so reasonable distance from airport and parking, because I have to have a car, are necessary
- Yard (even small one) is ideal (but I could compromise on this if necessary, my dog just won't like it)
- Open to 'burbs, but not so 'burbs that there is not easy access to diverse restaurants, etc and not ALL families.
- Safety is number one factor, want to feel safe walking alone, within reason
- Near parks, cycling lanes, arts, good cuisine is bonus!
- Looking to stay around $1000 a month if at all possible, but could go up to $1400 if needed (especially if it means yard). (I know the $1000 may be ambitious, relocating from Dallas/Fort Worth where I rent a 3/1 house with yard and covered parking - a girl can dream.)

Suggestions on area to look and which ones to steer clear of are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 12:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Based on your criteria I would recommend areas in the mid- to far northwest side and some of the near-north suburbs. City neighborhoods to consider would be Irving Park, Mayfair, Jefferson Park, Oriole Park, Norwood Park, Forest Glen, Edison Park; suburbs to consider would be Norridge, Harwood Heights, Des Plaines, Niles, Park Ridge, Skokie.

Realistically, you'll need to make some compromises somewhere. You are extremely unlikely to find a house and a yard in your rental budget; $1,000/mo is just above the minimum buy-in price for a decent 2-bedroom apartment in a safe area that is convenient to the airport. That said, you should be able to find a 2- or 3-flat with a (very) small yard that you would share with the other unit(s). Additionally, places with ample street parking and yard space are going to tip more toward the "family" side of the "family/singles" balance. Even so, they won't be completely devoid of singles, and most of the suggestions listed above wouldn't be more than a 10 to 15 minute drive or so during non-rush-hour traffic to more singles-oriented areas with the type of restaurants and arts scene and what-not that you're looking for.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:39 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,957,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Based on your criteria I would recommend areas in the mid- to far northwest side and some of the near-north suburbs. City neighborhoods to consider would be Irving Park, Mayfair, Jefferson Park, Oriole Park, Norwood Park, Forest Glen, Edison Park; suburbs to consider would be Norridge, Harwood Heights, Des Plaines, Niles, Park Ridge, Skokie.

Realistically, you'll need to make some compromises somewhere. You are extremely unlikely to find a house and a yard in your rental budget; $1,000/mo is just above the minimum buy-in price for a decent 2-bedroom apartment in a safe area that is convenient to the airport. That said, you should be able to find a 2- or 3-flat with a (very) small yard that you would share with the other unit(s). Additionally, places with ample street parking and yard space are going to tip more toward the "family" side of the "family/singles" balance. Even so, they won't be completely devoid of singles, and most of the suggestions listed above wouldn't be more than a 10 to 15 minute drive or so during non-rush-hour traffic to more singles-oriented areas with the type of restaurants and arts scene and what-not that you're looking for.
I agree with this. Of course, for the city I would even extend that to Ravenswood or Lincoln Square area too if you want even more around you type of thing. Any one of the ones listed above should work though IMO and would be easier to get to O'hare from Irving Park, Jefferson Park, etc easily

Old 01-19-2013, 12:43 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Of course yard space and parking are in much shorter supply in Lincoln Square and Ravenswood than the mid- to outer NW side neighborhoods. And they're not terribly convenient to the airport. Plus they'll strain the upper end of your rental budget unless you're prepared to live in a one-bedroom. But they have a lot more of the other things you're looking for in the way of singles/arts-type scene, cuisine options, and the like. It's really a matter of which of your priorities are going to give.

Best way to determine if you'll have issues parking at a prospective apartment is to drive by it at midnight and see if there are any spaces nearby. Or, be prepared to shell out an extra $100 to $200/mo for off-street parking.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,957,005 times
It's true but IMO finding yard space by just renting an apartment in the city is going to be tough. Have to find a private house (2 flat, 3 flat, etc) for that or consider a courtyard your yard..I think in most of the NW places, parking will not be as much of a problem as in other areas of the city, but can still present a problem sometimes finding a space on the street.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 AM

928 posts, read 1,715,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree with this. Of course, for the city I would even extend that to Ravenswood or Lincoln Square area too if you want even more around you type of thing
How did I know someone was going to recommend neighborhoods like these? Ignore this. You're not going to find anything nice and with a yard for $1,000 in Lincoln Square, and these places aren't easily accessible to any airport. The answer is any of the neighborhoods Drover said. My personal recommendation is Jefferson Park. When I was apt searching a little under two years ago, the most bang for my buck was a place I found there. It was flippin' huge, had a dining room, deck, a yard, and reasonable parking. Plus it was half a second from the freeway, two halves of a second from O'hare (or a second, I suppose). I have personally bicycled through Jeff Park zillions of times, so I know it's good for bike lanes, and pretty much everywhere in Chicago has a boatload of parks, so you're good there too. Not really sure about the cuisine front, as I don't really hang out and eat there, but as far as everything else you're looking for, Jeff Park works great.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:06 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,739,869 times
Single Women? In Chicago? Nothing better.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:16 PM

6 posts, read 11,778 times
If the OP is still checking this, I'm curious what she's found!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago