Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 04:27 PM

20 posts, read 33,987 times

Advertisements

So you've been put in a situation where you HAD to leave not only Chicago, but the entire state! You've been officially excommunicated. Doesn't matter what you did. You don't remember anyways.

Now, of ALL the state's in this beautiful country, and of ALL the cities with which to reside, where would you move to, and why ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 05:19 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Nothing hypothetical about it. We choose Upstate South Carolina. We didn't want to move somewhere where the possibility of evacuation could become necessary so we chose the northwest part of the state. Now that we are on a fixed income it was a good choice. Make no mistake though, every state is going to have something you don't like and SC is no exception.

DH is Chicago born and raised. We left when he was about to turn 51. Why you ask? COLD...you know that well right about now. Chicago winter probably would have killed him if we had stayed. FAMILY, preparing for old age, my parents wanted to move out of California to be closer to us. I am an only child so elder care will fall to me and my family when it comes to that.

What do we miss about Chicago the most? Two things:
1) Friends
2) Food

What do we not miss about Chicago?

1) SNOW
2) COLD
3) The TAX ripoff!

And for the record books our airport recorded a low of 5 degrees this week! But we didn't have to go out in it. Car sits in our enclosed garage 24/7. When it snows or we have an ice storm, our schools all close down until the buses can get get up the mountains.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:24 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
I would move to Europe. Maybe France or Portugal.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:39 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I would move to Europe. Maybe France or Portugal.
Same here. Well, come again I'd move to one of the following:

San Francisco, NYC, somewhere in Europe, or somewhere half safe in SE Asia

Old 01-10-2014, 06:49 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
I've left twice now and moved to SF and NYC, but I was never from Chicago so... was not giving up as much as locals might there. I wouldn't live anywhere else in IL *but* Chicago. I'd do other cities also, boston, dc, philly, la or most anywhere in europe if job opportunities were right.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:20 PM

319 posts, read 604,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophia120 View Post
So you've been put in a situation where you HAD to leave not only Chicago, but the entire state! You've been officially excommunicated. Doesn't matter what you did. You don't remember anyways.

Now, of ALL the state's in this beautiful country, and of ALL the cities with which to reside, where would you move to, and why ?
Would absolutely not be in this country. Chicago's the only worthwhile place to live in the US.

I hate the heat, but Australia could be really fun. It would be my #1 choice.

I find the marsupials fascinating, the geology, the great barrier reef, sharks, all the hot chicks...

Old 01-10-2014, 07:26 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,577 times
Would LOVE to move to NYC, San Francisco, LA, maybe even Seattle, Portland, OR, Austin, TX, Boston, Toronto, Europe, Sydney, London, & Amsterdam IF I can afford to live a good lifestyle there.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Nothing hypothetical about it. We choose Upstate South Carolina. We didn't want to move somewhere where the possibility of evacuation could become necessary so we chose the northwest part of the state. Now that we are on a fixed income it was a good choice. Make no mistake though, every state is going to have something you don't like and SC is no exception.

DH is Chicago born and raised. We left when he was about to turn 51. Why you ask? COLD...you know that well right about now. Chicago winter probably would have killed him if we had stayed. FAMILY, preparing for old age, my parents wanted to move out of California to be closer to us. I am an only child so elder care will fall to me and my family when it comes to that.

What do we miss about Chicago the most? Two things:
1) Friends
2) Food

What do we not miss about Chicago?

1) SNOW
2) COLD
3) The TAX ripoff!

And for the record books our airport recorded a low of 5 degrees this week! But we didn't have to go out in it. Car sits in our enclosed garage 24/7. When it snows or we have an ice storm, our schools all close down until the buses can get get up the mountains.
If my geography is correct, that area of South Carolina should also put Charlotte, NC within reasonable driving distance. That city is virtually at the South Carolina border. That will provide some additional food options for weekend getaways. Granted, few places in the US can match Chicago for food.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:52 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
If my geography is correct, that area of South Carolina should also put Charlotte, NC within reasonable driving distance. That city is virtually at the South Carolina border. That will provide some additional food options for weekend getaways. Granted, few places in the US can match Chicago for food.
Your geography is correct. It would if we could afford to travel. I am convinced southern taste buds are different than Chicago taste buds though. To each his own, but we usually find that if someone says "this place is good" that to us it really isn't and that means we don't eat out as often here as we did in Chicago.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:05 PM

255 posts, read 583,907 times
Somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago