Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 08:54 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times

Advertisements

I'd get my own place honestly. You'll be making enough money for it, but if you want to save some you can get a studio for under $1000/month. Renting a room will not be that much cheaper honestly. For websites, look in the rent section of Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgage & Home Values in the US and Domu Chicago | Chicagoland Apartments. Apartments for Rent & Homes for Rent - Rent.com® Apartment Finder can work too, possibly

For example in Lakeview just a few minutes walk to the lake are these studios (remember they are not furnished):
* Chicago Apartments | 3510 N. Pine Grove | Domu Chicago = $885-$950/mo
* 544 West Melrose, Studio - Zillow = $895/mo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 09:36 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
Those places don't look half bad. I think you can also rent furniture not just a furnished apt. Its probably expensive. You can buy furniture pretty cheaply at IKEA. Its not the most well made but you can get by on it. They also have stuff to outfit kitchens and bathrooms as well. Don't forget you will need a security deposit for your apt. I don't know if you need an ssn.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:33 AM

17 posts, read 23,365 times
Hi guys!

Finally I have decided to rent this https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/716401 for the first 4/5 days. And on those days, I will have amie@sspchicago.com showing me some apts in near north side and Lincoln park… Looking for something around $900…
Do you have any last advice? I will be arriving on Saturday 03/15/2014, and staying til 03/15/2015.

Thanks for your help, it was really useful!

Old 03-10-2014, 07:31 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maca128 View Post
Hi guys!

Finally I have decided to rent this https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/716401 for the first 4/5 days. And on those days, I will have amie@sspchicago.com showing me some apts in near north side and Lincoln park… Looking for something around $900…
Do you have any last advice? I will be arriving on Saturday 03/15/2014, and staying til 03/15/2015.

Thanks for your help, it was really useful!
That's an, uh, "interesting" part of town to start in. Granted, I spent a semester a few blocks from there when I first moved to Chicago, but I was doing sociology studies then.

It is nice and cheap - I also host on Airbnb, in a better location, but I do charge 50-100% more than they charge, so I guess for the price they're not bad. Just to caution you, though, there isn't a lot within a close walk of there, and if you walk too far west you're in increasingly dicey and even dangerous areas. Be sure to ask the hosts about where you can walk safely and be very skeptical if they say "oh, anywhere around here is safe."

Also, once you get your regular place, you should seriously consider getting a bike - it really opens up the city for you.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:36 AM

498 posts, read 724,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
That's an, uh, "interesting" part of town to start in. Granted, I spent a semester a few blocks from there when I first moved to Chicago, but I was doing sociology studies then.

It is nice and cheap - I also host on Airbnb, in a better location, but I do charge 50-100% more than they charge, so I guess for the price they're not bad. Just to caution you, though, there isn't a lot within a close walk of there, and if you walk too far west you're in increasingly dicey and even dangerous areas. Be sure to ask the hosts about where you can walk safely and be very skeptical if they say "oh, anywhere around here is safe."

Also, once you get your regular place, you should seriously consider getting a bike - it really opens up the city for you.
Or a divvy subscription

Old 03-20-2014, 10:52 PM

hey emathias and freefall18 thanks for your last comments!

I just got last Saturday, and I am loving the city! I was exactly as you guys depicted it to me… Long story short… Am renting for $1200 a studio in lake view east, on a 21st floor with an amazing view… I just bought a frame, spring box, and matress… and that’s it!

So, of course I have lots of questions! And I good love to hear your advices…

I wanted to buy a bike (I plan on using it daily to commute, I guess from April to November)…Where should I buy it? It would be just for using it around the city, I want to spend around $140.-

I wanted to buy a chair or a sofa… where should I buy it?

It seems that online stuff is half the price, like when I enter a store and ask… am I wrong?

Regards!!

Ps: would love to play soccer to, can anyone make me enter in a team or something?

Old 03-21-2014, 07:31 AM

^ It's good you're enjoying it so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maca128 View Post
I wanted to buy a bike (I plan on using it daily to commute, I guess from April to November)…Where should I buy it? It would be just for using it around the city, I want to spend around $140.-
Would you consider the bike share program, Divvy? It's $75/year but you don't have to lug around your bike or anything. There's some time stuff on it but yeah..

Quote:
I wanted to buy a chair or a sofa… where should I buy it?
Depends on how much you want to spend for them...some places are definitely cheaper and some places are definitely more expensive than others. Also depends on the style you want sometimes.

Quote:
Ps: would love to play soccer to, can anyone make me enter in a team or something?
There are numerous leagues in the city and also probably meet ups. I would check these resources out:

Soccer - Sport Home: Players Sport & Social Group - Chicago, IL

Find your people - Meetup

The Chicago Fire MLS team also sponsors a league I think:
Chicago Fire Rec Soccer | Chicago Fire

Old 03-21-2014, 08:07 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Best deals on bicycles are still police auctions. The suburbs still run their own -- Bikes and more snagged at police auction - Chicago Tribune

Most if these towns will probably still have something -- Someone Else's Loss Could Become Your Gain At Local Police Auctions - Chicago Tribune

Old 03-22-2014, 09:02 PM

Thanks for your tips!

Auctions seem a little too much for me… I barely know the city, and my oral English sucks! Lol, but thanks… I went yesterday to http://johnnysprockets.com/ on brodway steet in Lakeview, and the guy offered me a real good mountain bike for U$S280, he even let me test a few bikes before deciding… I think I will buy my bike there… Besides the guy told me that if I need something with the bike, the place offers free assistance…

I mean if I buy it from Ebay, I feel with a little lack of trust.

Hey, regarding furniture, I wanted to buy the cheapest sofa and charis I can find... but I want them to be ‘new’ though… any tips?

Thanks for your tips, am having a great time here in Chicago!

Old 03-23-2014, 08:42 AM

Johnny Sprockets isn't a bad place.

As far as new, cheap sofas/chairs go, there's probably a few options. There's a furniture outlet a mile or two west and a little south of you near the interstate called Furniture Outlet. Furniture Outlet | Chicago, IL Living Room

Down the street from you a little bit on Clark is Affordable Portables where you could get a 3 person sofa for $400 USD (Ashley Darcy Mocha Sofa)

Target also has some cheap options (sofas & loveseats, living room furniture, furniture : Target)

These places will probably have a small delivery fee but remember you'll have to schedule a time with them and your apartment if you live in a high rise for the elevator. Sometimes things are negotiable though remember if you're good at that. I was able to get Macy's to waive the delivery fee for me when I bought a sectional from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago