Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:41 PM

221 posts, read 322,098 times

Advertisements

When I walk around the Old Town Triangle I see a lot of people in cashmere sweaters driving BMWs. These people appear top-of-the-food-chain in Chicago, and yet I wager a good proportion of them are living off trust funds. From appearances alone, from the noise they generate and the way they crowd sports bars, I highly doubt any of them take up philanthropic causes. I doubt they ever think of the problems in the city, or feel compassion for the victims of violence.

And yet when you read about the top-of-the-food-chain in more global cities, like NYC, you find actors, celebrities, people who ARE philanthropic, people who rush to become involved in national and international crises. You find people like Sean Penn, who won the Nobel Peace Prize for his relief work in Haiti. Or you find rich hedge fund managers who patronize the arts and stimulate culture.

This is just my impression... when I compare, say, premiere Chicago neighborhoods (Lincoln Park, Old Town) to premiere neighborhoods in more global cities (Greenwich Village, SoHo to name two in NYC).

In Lincoln Park, how likely is it that your neighbor is a philanthropist? But now, in Lower Manhattan, how likely is it that your neighbor rushed to help the earthquake victims in Haiti, or the Katrina victims in New Orleans?

Sure, Lincoln Park homeowners might not have as much money as Sean Penn, but they could at least do SOMETHING about the quality of Chicago public schools, or the crime on the south side.

What does this say about the affluent homeowners of Chicago? We call ourselves a world class city and yet in other world class cities you find people who care about the social problems.

I apologize if this offends anyone, but it was on my mind today, and caused me a good deal of frustration.

Or maybe I am wrong, and I need to be educated about my city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 06:49 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Seems like you aren't educated about your city, basically...

Old 05-18-2014, 06:51 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default That would be ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak317 View Post
This is just my impression...

Or maybe I am wrong, and I need to be educated about my city
Sean Penn is the ne plus ultra.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:00 PM

He's only one example But the point being, I have a very hard time finding an intellectual neighborhood outside of Hyde Park. Edgewater is the only one that comes to mind, we have a MacArthur recipient currently living there. Maybe East Pilsen, too, but that's more of an artist's haven, and it had issues with pollution in the last five years.

You also don't hear about any rich Chicagoans taking up social causes. The philanthropy seems to be primarily for the arts. I know that The University of Chicago has done a lot for the south side, through employment, by making the neighborhood a lot safer. But UChicago / Hyde Park seems to be the exception, not the rule.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:04 PM

Sorry, but your thread is full of fail. You are talking about basically judging people by how they're walking down the street and what not. :FACEPALM: No offense, but you're being pretty unintelligent and rather judgemental about this. There's 250,000 people in Chicago with degrees that are higher than a BS (i.e. JD, MD, PhD, MS, MBA). Just think about that (and there's another 375,000 with Bachelors) and they don't all live in Hyde Park. You want another neighborhood full of educated people near you? Try the Gold Coast. One of the biggest philantropists in the city has a huge mansion there (Ann Lurie).
Also the cashmere and BMW thing - oh you think that all philanthropists don't spend on themselves? You don't know what you're talking about then.

I find it hard to believe someone who claims they're educated as yourself would be judging people on the street and their actions without getting to know a damn thing about them and just by watching them. Talk about judgemental.

Last edited by marothisu; 05-18-2014 at 07:26 PM..

Old 05-18-2014, 07:14 PM

By the way, here's community areas in Chicago by percent with Bachelor's or higher:

1. Lincoln Park - 82.2%
2. Loop - 78.8%
3. Lake View - 77.7%
4. Near North Side - 76.5%
5. Hyde Park - 69.5%
6. North Center - 68.1%
7. Near South Side - 67.2%
8. Near West Side - 61.4%
9. West Town - 59.6%
10. Forest Glen - 56.4%
11. Beverly - 55.1%
12. Edgewater - 54.5%
13. Lincoln Square - 54.4%
14. Uptown - 52%
15. Kenwood - 48.5%

Community areas with advanced degrees:
1. Hyde Park - 44.2%
2. Lincoln Park - 39.8%
3. Loop - 37.9%
4. Near South Side - 36.8%
5. Near North Side - 34.4%
6. Lake View - 31.3%
7. Near West Side - 29%
8. Kenwood - 27.7%
9. Beverly - 26.2%
10. Forest Glen - 25.7%
11. North Center - 25.6%
12. Edgewater - 23%
13. West Town - 22.2%
14. Uptown - 21.2%
15. Lincoln Square - 20.8%

Old 05-18-2014, 07:49 PM

I see, that's helpful. There are definitely areas of Lincoln Park that I like. I prefer the areas north of Fullerton as there's more diversity and less sports bars. Maybe I just don't like the Old Town Triangle.

The DePaul campus attracts foreigners which is a huge plus. In the cafes around the area you can often hear French or Italian. It's the North Avenue Beach / North Ave area that I really hate. For example the Starbucks on North & Wells, or Nookies on Wells Ave.

It could be that I recently graduated college and I'm having trouble adapting. I've made friends in Lakeview, Uptown, but not in Lincoln Park.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:58 PM

You're being ultra judgemental just assuming these things and you have no right to do this in the least bit. What really gives you the right to look at someone on the street and all of a sudden say how much they are and aren't giving to charity/causes, and what type of person they are? You have no right to do that at all - you are basically being a cognitive miser of the highest degree with this. If you claim to be intelligent, then be intelligent - and that starts with not generalizing people without even speaking to them.

I live in the Gold Coast for example - many intelligent people here who don't live and breathe sports. I've never once had trouble having intelligent conversations pretty much in any part of Chicago. Hell, I have very intelligent world politics discussions with cab drivers all the time. But if you are going to just judge people without ever giving them a chance - then good luck. Also, just because someone likes sports doesn't mean that's all they're into. Yes, perhaps if they're at a sports bar, that's the mood they're in, but if you know Chicago then you should know there's tons of non sports bars in the city.

Seriously, you sound like my co-worker/friend who moved to your same area from San Diego a handful of months ago. He only stayed around Old Town and thought that's what Chicago was like everywhere. He was pleasantly surprised when I took him to places that I know outside of his neighborhood. I recommend you start in the Gold Coast at places like Le Colonial (2nd floor).

Old 05-18-2014, 08:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Oak317,ever hear of:

Sam Zell
Rocky Wirtz
Penny Pritzker
Ann Lurie
J. Christopher Reyes
Jerry Reinsdorf
Frances Comer

I've only listed the ones that immediately come to mind. I'm sure I'm missing a Walgreen or two along with several others.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:45 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
The Union League Club has large portion of its membership involved with the Boys and Girls Clubs of Chicago, and in general is very much focused on civic projects. It's membership includes many of the upper crust. And that's just one such club. The Standard Club also has a lot of social and civic projects, and I think the University Club does, too.

Basically you just need to start doing research instead of making assumptions. In general, Chicagoans who are involved are involved to make a difference, not to get press.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago