Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:09 PM

6 posts, read 7,333 times

Advertisements

Hey there! New to City Data. So here's the deal: I'm 26, I'm a native New Yorker, and I have finally grown absolutely sick of this city…… I think.

I'm soliciting the opinions of fellow New Yorkers who also grew absolutely sick of this city to figure out whether or not I am, in fact, sick of it -- or if I'm just suffering from "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome.

I am seriously considering moving to Chicago, for a lot of reasons. A) I love Chicago. B) Love the idea of proximity to Lake Michigan -- the view of New Jersey across the Hudson doesn't compete. C) Cost of living, of course. D) The general "vibe" -- I am so sick of the rat race here, versus I love Chicago's vibe. I'm fortunate to already have family & friends in Chicago, plus I work from home, so I'm free to live anywhere.

So what's holding me back?

I went to college in Boston, and similarly thought Boston would be a nice antidote to New York. But… I hated every minute of living in Boston. Specifically, I hated the following things: 1) How difficult it was to live there without a car, 2) The coooold, loooong winters, and 3) Uptight unfriendly New Englanders.

#3 is moot for Chicago, obviously. Also, to be fair, Boston was never really my kind of city.

But… what about #1 and #2?

Level with me, guys.

Will I need a car? And how bad are the winters really? What else should I bear in mind?

Please feel free to give me the full lowdown. I want to make as informed a decision as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 04:36 PM

988 posts, read 1,741,279 times
Born and bred NYer here who is finishing up his first year in Chicago.
For #1, you absolutely don;t need a car unless you decide to love in the 'burbs here; one thing you'll need to get used to is that the subway system here is less extensive than NYC so there are plenty of neighborhoods where it's a hike to get to the only El stop near you. As well, only 2 lines run 24/7 so you'll be using cabs a lot if you're out late at night.
As for #2... this was the third snowiest winter in Chicago history and we've had something like over 130 days below the freezing point; I think everywhere in the country got hit hard also but this winter felt just brutal. However, everyone has told me this year was an extreme aberration.

Some things to get used to, as compared to NYC: people are way friendlier on a general basis; the city looks (and smells) cleaner (I suspect this is because of the alleyway system in Chi so garbage isn't kept out front and you get that nasty NYC late summer smell); I hate to admit it but Chi hot dogs have ruined me for having them any other way; the cost of living is ridiculously cheaper than NYC.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Overall, Chicago offers pretty much everything NYC does, but at a more friendly, laid back pace and you don't have to spend an arm and a leg. Also, the waterfront access here trumps anything NYC could offer; the lake and the beaches are amazing in summer

Old 03-31-2014, 04:49 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
^ BernieKosar! Glad you're enjoying yourself so far. ..I think

To add on to what you said about public transit - it would depend on what train line you live near, if you do live near one, and where you're coming from really. If you live along one of the 24 hour lines, then you don't necessarily need to catch a cab home if you're out at 4:30am near that train line or within reach. In other parts you do, but most of the train lines run 21 hours/day if not 24 hours. It's true though - definitely not as extensive as NYC. You can always combine the two as well.

Another thing to add to that is that the train system is designed where all but 1 line (Yellow Line) converges in the Loop (part of downtown/central business district). There is an extensive bus system, but not a ton of routes do run all night. So the problem if you are say in Lakeview East or near Wrigleyville or Boystown or something and want to get to Logan Square is that there's no super quick way of getting there. You can ride a bus of course, but we know how much slower buses can be versus a train.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ BernieKosar! Glad you're enjoying yourself so far. ..I think

To add on to what you said about public transit - it would depend on what train line you live near, if you do live near one, and where you're coming from really. If you live along one of the 24 hour lines, then you don't necessarily need to catch a cab home if you're out at 4:30am near that train line or within reach. In other parts you do, but most of the train lines run 21 hours/day if not 24 hours. It's true though - definitely not as extensive as NYC. You can always combine the two as well.

Another thing to add to that is that the train system is designed where all but 1 line (Yellow Line) converges in the Loop (part of downtown/central business district). There is an extensive bus system, but not a ton of routes do run all night. So the problem if you are say in Lakeview East or near Wrigleyville or Boystown or something and want to get to Logan Square is that there's no super quick way of getting there. You can ride a bus of course, but we know how much slower buses can be versus a train.
Marothisu, what up! Thanks again for all your help last spring; really helped.
I hear ya re: train lines but I'm on the Red Line and there is no way I'm taking that sucker back at 4:30am; sketchville-city.
I'm more trying to let OP know how different the El is compared to the MTA; coming from NYC, it's very noticeable how little area the El covers compared to NYC subways, where you can get everywhere using the train

Old 03-31-2014, 07:24 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,864,201 times
Depending on where you work, living without a car is easy. I haven't had one for many years. The winter is tolerable. What I dislike the most are the cold springs. Also, there's not much in the way of possible interesting weekend trips like on the East Coast.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
I hear ya re: train lines but I'm on the Red Line and there is no way I'm taking that sucker back at 4:30am; sketchville-city.
I'm more trying to let OP know how different the El is compared to the MTA; coming from NYC, it's very noticeable how little area the El covers compared to NYC subways, where you can get everywhere using the train
Eh red line back at night is fine - believe me. I've taken it more times than I'd like to admit on the north branch of it after 3am alone. There can be sketchy people on it from time to time, but nothing will happen to you. The chances of them even talking to you is pretty low, even. Trust me.

Totally agreed though - MTA is by far the most extensive train system in the US. The El is the 2nd or 3rd most extensive system in the US too (DC Metro might be a few miles more, but it's barely anything if so). Chicago used to have the largest street car system under management of one company, in the US until the 1940s or 1950s with over 10,000 miles of route. That's part of the reason why. Unfortunate but a story in many US cities - NYC and Chicago are lucky that they had other systems at the same time along with that. NYC easily had more than Chicago though once that system was removed. The system may still be expanded though in some areas. If you're interested, check this out. It talks about usage of existing track out there to expand the system: A CTA Map for 2055 - Gapers Block: Detour | Chicago

Old 04-01-2014, 06:01 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,947,006 times
The buses are pokey but there is an extensive system. If you go on the CTA website there is a term (or was, if they are still using it) called OWL service and those are buses that run late at night. Many people have to take a bus and transfer to an "L" if they are too far west. Also there is an extensive connection of zip cars that can be rented by the hour, as well as cabs and also these new cab alternatives but I don't know how safe they are.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:26 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
Quote:
Trust me, when you get to know the city, you won't think twice about taking the L at 4am. For the first 3 years I had a cut off time of midnight using any train. The year I lived in Lakeview, I began to open to using the red line at any time. There are many homeless who ride back and forth for shelter during the winter but they're harmless with the exception of the smell being a killer. If you use common sense you will be safe doing a lot of things in this city.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Eh red line back at night is fine - believe me. I've taken it more times than I'd like to admit on the north branch of it after 3am alone. There can be sketchy people on it from time to time, but nothing will happen to you. The chances of them even talking to you is pretty low, even. Trust me.
Heh. Let's just say my wife and you will disagree about the Red Line

Old 04-01-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Heh. Let's just say my wife and you will disagree about the Red Line
I must be somehow immune to bad things happepning on trains - I seriously have seen one bad thing ever on a train and it didn't even happen on the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago