Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 5,663 times

Advertisements

Any advice on our predicament would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance!

My husband and I are looking for a new apartment. My present landlord is refusing to give a positive reference, in fact he out right told us if we give his name/number he will give a very negative one.

We are retired, on Social Security/Pension and my husband is disabled. My husband has lived in this building 24 years, I have been here 10 years since we married. In that time we have been quiet, respectful tenants and have paid our rent promptly. WE are not complainers or bothers to management unless something really needs attention.

8 months ago our wonderful, funny, friendly landlord died and his young son took over. The resident manager/janitor was fired and cleaners that only come once a week and do a terrible job are now here.

Since then the building has gone down hill. Our trash rooms on each floor which were emptied every other day prior are now only cleaned out every 5 days, causing a LOT of odors in hall ( ungodly in summer). We have had FOUR floods , 2 in our bathroom from broken pipes, two from apartment above in the last four moths,They just keep making sort of temp repairs that quickly degrade . Peeling ceiling paint from the floods on ceiling remain unrepaired.Our door to our balcony rotted at the frame and cant be opened. Has not been fixed since November. A group of college aged kids moved in the large front apartment and pot smoke from 3 PM on is so bad in hallway that it comes in our apartment . Calls to office and email are ignored or they come out and do minimal repair. The pot kids are still there smoking away after 3 months of calls.I could care less what they do but keep it in your apt and open a window.we had inadequate heat the entire bad winter, at one point the apartments temps were measuring 55 degrees ( 68 in the day is the law) and many residents called the city to enforce it.

We with much regret in late Match sent a note saying we would not be renewing rent on June 1. Our new young landlord sent a nasty response and a form saying HE declined renewing, even though we had already declined 9 days prior. He said he will tell future landlords we are trouble and that he declined resigning us.

We have steady income but it is not high. WE have easily paid rent here as our expenses are low, we live a frugal life etc. Buildings we look at that have comparable rent/apartments (in Lincoln Park ) to ours say we don't make enough to qualify , so thanks to Mr Landlord we have to move to a much less desirable, less safe area and a not so nice building .

So what do we say since every application asks for landlord recommendation , phone etc? If I start telling them about the buildings problems I see their eyes glaze over thinking RED ALERT a problem tenant which we absolutely are NOT. We are patient and respectful and calm in all dealings with the management and reasonable as to repair times except in emergencies.We are friendly and know all our neighbors.

The stress this has caused is major, my husband has heart problems and three heart surgeries in 18 months. I have to hide all this from him and trying to handle it myself :{
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 12:27 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,411,798 times
I feel for your situation.

But I think the fact that your husband lived there for 24 years says it all. You are stable, long-term tenants that clearly don't cause many problems.

I would practicing saying a very simple statement, that you will give to future landlords, which is a shorter version of your post. Your last living situation was stable for 23 years of no complaints and timely rent payments. Unfortunately, your landlord died and the building deteriorated under inept and unstable management. That is why you are leaving, with some fear as the "new" landlord has been abusive. I would also come in with copies of your on time, cancelled checks for 2 years of rent, and proof of finances. I have found that when you are organized and come in prepared with more information than they ask for, it usually works on your behalf.

I would possibly contact these guys

home | Tenant.org | Chicago Tenant Rights - Tenant Right

I'm sure they have heard this situation before. They may also be able to help you write a letter to advocate for you.

There are a lot of places to live in Chicago other then Lincoln Park that are safe and desirable. It is traumatic to have to move after such a long time, but you will be ok.

You mentioned that your husband is disabled. I don't know what his disability is, but if he has a disability that warrants access to affordable, accessible housing then you should think of looking into buildings that give preference to those with a disablity, although waiting lists can be high. Contact the Independent Living Centers... and be persistent.

Access Living

Old 04-06-2014, 01:12 PM

101 posts, read 171,876 times
How often do leasing offices actually call references? Generally, they will go by your character. If you seem like a decent, honest tenant, they are unlikely to go through the trouble of tracking down your last landlord, unless your credit check comes back as questionable. I would not bring the situation up at all with the leasing office, as it would just over-complicated the process and raise suspicion. Unless you specifically have to go through some kind of formalized application process that mandates reference checks, I would just float it. At worst, you will eventually find a leasing company with a more relaxed application process.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:09 AM

263 posts, read 567,436 times
Most landlords do not rely on a current landlord reference. That is not very useful. If a landlord was evicting someone, and some sucker called up willing to take the problem tenant of his hands, he would give a positive reference anyways. That is why savvy landlords and property managers do not value current landlord references. In fact, there is little upside to providing any sort of negative reference.

Secondly, to the tenant who posted a link to the tenant's rights org: There is no infringement of rights by a landlord's refusal to provide a positive reference. That resource is often inappropriately utilized. As long as the landlord is not going around making unnecessary slanderous comments, keeping quiet is fine.

To the OP, as long as your credit and income is up to par, you will be fine. Do not mention this drama to a new landlord. As someone mentioned earlier, simply say we lived there for 23 years, but do not like some of the things we see from new management. We want a quiet place where we can keep to ourselves. It is analogous to going on a job interview. Would it be worthwhile to disparage your current boss to a new one?

Remember, the landlord/property manager is in the business of renting apartments to decent people. They want to find a tenant. If that is you, everything should be fine.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:36 AM

5 posts, read 5,663 times
Thanks so much for everyone's replies. I really appreciates your kindness. Have found a place in Ravenswood. Not as big or nice as our current place but ok for now. Used the tips you lovely people gave me and are waiting for approval. Fingers crossed

Thanks again

C.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:53 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,411,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverGirl9999 View Post
Thanks so much for everyone's replies. I really appreciates your kindness. Have found a place in Ravenswood. Not as big or nice as our current place but ok for now. Used the tips you lovely people gave me and are waiting for approval. Fingers crossed

Thanks again

C.

Good luck. Ravenswood is a really great neighborhood.

And smaller apartments are better ... easier to clean! Think of this as an opportunity to downsize, and make life a little easier.

Wishing good health to you and your husband.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:44 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,287 times
If you've been in the same place for 24 years and are good tenets, the new landlord won't give 2 $hits about what the old landlord says. That's longevity right there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: