Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 12:03 PM

3 posts, read 5,072 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the city awhile but have not really ventured around the West Wicker/East Humboldt area til recently. I found a great apartment right by Rockwell and Division (with off-street parking) and I have had mixed reactions by people I know. Some say it's fine while others have told me they'd never live there.
Is it really that unsafe to live there? I've been around that area at night maybe three times and haven't felt unsafe, but obviously that's not enough times to really make a judgment on it. The building is right near a supermercado and has secured entry/gates etc. I really like it but now am worried.

What are your thoughts? I obviously wouldn't walk around past midnight by myself, and most times at night I'll be driving home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM

166 posts, read 259,780 times
I live in the area and I will say that it is perfectly safe. Lots of change has already happened in the last 5 years. There is still clustered section 8/subsidized housing in the area that create issues once in a while. But other than that, the area is great. Division street bus stop is right on Rockwell. You have Humboldt Park 2 blocks away. It's a great diverse area. If you are a lincoln park/bucktown type though, you probably wont like it.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:43 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Well jillysyakos in my mind there are some kinds of areas where "secured entry gates" are kind superfluous, I see them in Lincoln Park for instance, and then there are other areas where without those gates you or stuff are at risk. Rockwell & Divison is certsinly not the worst part of the city, nor even the north side, it is much less safe than areas like Lincoln Park. Odds are it well improve over time and maybe someday the security gates will be as superfluous as those in Lincoln Park but for now ...

Old 07-25-2014, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,072 times
Thanks for your responses. I don't live in Lincoln Park and that's not really my desired area to be. I think I'll be fine here, as long as I feel relatively safe and keep my guard up at night should be okay with me

Old 07-25-2014, 08:21 PM

190 posts, read 315,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Well jillysyakos in my mind there are some kinds of areas where "secured entry gates" are kind superfluous, I see them in Lincoln Park for instance, and then there are other areas where without those gates you or stuff are at risk. Rockwell & Divison is certsinly not the worst part of the city, nor even the north side, it is much less safe than areas like Lincoln Park. Odds are it well improve over time and maybe someday the security gates will be as superfluous as those in Lincoln Park but for now ...
Actually, property crimes rates in Lincoln Park and West Town are pretty damn close.

Secured entry gates aren't really superfluous in any neighboorhood, the idea is that a burglar will likely go for the easiest target.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:25 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedCubbieBlue View Post
I live in the area and I will say that it is perfectly safe. Lots of change has already happened in the last 5 years. There is still clustered section 8/subsidized housing in the area that create issues once in a while. But other than that, the area is great. Division street bus stop is right on Rockwell. You have Humboldt Park 2 blocks away. It's a great diverse area. If you are a lincoln park/bucktown type though, you probably wont like it.
This was my experience in the area. I lived on Campbell, 2 blocks north of Division. I didn't feel unsafe, even when I was alone at night, but I did experience some property crime living there. Nothing major (we never lost anything of value besides our broken car windows). I didn't particularly like living there, but I don't think I would have really loved any part of the city because I'm just more suburban at heart. Nonetheless, my husband and I lived on Campbell for 5 years and walked home intoxicated more than once during that time (okay, way more than once...). If you like the place and have some street smarts, I think you will be fine.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:41 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
I wouldn't say it's bad but it's got character, for better or worse. You'd better really want to live in Humboldt Park because you're not going to be able to ignore that fact as soon as you leave your apartment.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
It's so so. As long as you're not west of the park, you shouldn't have any massive issues. Probably a lot of property crime, graffiti, and litter though.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,788 times
You will be fine over there. They are developing California south of division with a fair number of restaurants. The crap housing is north of division over there. I live on Kedzie and think it's fine as long as you realize your living in the city and you need to be aware of surroundings.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:20 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
I think for most people it's reasonably safe these days.

I hear if you're a member of the Eagles gang, the Latin Kings just might see if you can fly from the roof of Roberto Clemente High School, though. Just what I heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: