Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 7,203 times

Advertisements

Do you know about any food co-ops around Chicago? I live in Berwyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 10:32 AM

37 posts, read 186,651 times
Default I was thinking the very same thing.

Oh, man!

I was considering relocating to Chicago, and was wondering the very same thing. I would love to know of any good farmers' markets.

Yes, I'm a typical knee-jerk, bleeding heart liberall hoping to buy locally and be a good environmentally green citizen.

Gracias!

Old 07-17-2007, 11:21 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,140 times
in chicago check this link
http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...eEnumValue=184
or google search "farmer's markets chicago" for even more info. Almost every neighborhood has a semi monthly or monthly farmers market. As far as co-op's the most famous is the Hyde Park Co-op, there may be others as well

Old 07-24-2007, 09:28 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
The Hyde Park Co-op isn't all that special -- it's above the supermarket average, but absolutely not worth writing home about. (Yes, my family's so foodie that I actually do send postcards to Mom from rockin' co-ops, most recently from Viroqua, Wisconsin. I lived a block from the HP Co-op for years.) It is, AFAIK, the only retail co-op in the city, although there are several buying clubs around town.

There are three local/sustainable-focused farmers' markets in the area: Green City in Lincoln Park, Logan Square, and Evanston. These are about as good as you'll get.

We're trying to launch a co-op in the Logan Square area:
Dill Pickle Food Co-op | a member-owned grocery store forming in Logan Square/Bucktown

LTHForum.com is the best place to ask food questions about Chicago. Take a look under Shopping & Cooking.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:01 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,100 times
There is an organic produce delivery service called TCF Organics that operates throughout Chicagoland and into Central IL, Indiana, Wisconsin, and SW Michigan. They will deliver to your door weekly even if you are not home. They do produce, dairy, meat, baked goods...

Old 07-27-2007, 04:12 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
A complete list of Community Supported Agriculture ("produce delivery") services:
Chicago Reader | The Food Issue 2007 | Eat Local: Our guide to subscription farms. By Vera Videnovich

Old 08-14-2014, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,623 times
We host a dinner and a movie event quarterly free to the community. We are pleased to be the official Illinois movie screening location for 'In Organics We Trust'. The event is September 12th 6:00pm - 9:00pm.

We would love to have some farmer's there for sell their produce, talk with guests and offer their samplings. I think it would be perfect for the evening. We have a captive audience of 30+ people at each event. Can you provide your insight on how we can go about inviting business/farmers to join us.

Here is the link for the event. [url=http://msi-healing.com/event-registration?ee=810]Event Registration | MSI HealingMSI Healing[/url]

Here is the trailer. [url=http://www.inorganicwetrust.org/]In Organic We Trust - food documentary[/url]

Description:

In Organic We Trust is an eye-opening food documentary that follows Director/Producer Kip Pastor on a personal journey to answer commonly asked questions about organic food: What exactly is organic? Is it really better, or just a marketing scam?

IN ORGANIC WE TRUSTThe film digs deep with farmers, organic certifiers, scientists, and organic critics to explore the content beneath the label and the truth behind the marketing. It takes a balanced approach to clear up misconceptions about organic food while highlighting practical solutions that are transforming the way we grow and eat.

Along the way, Kip learns that what began as a grassroots movement of small-scale farmers has turned into a $30 billion industry. Small, diversified organic farms have been replaced by large corporate operations and the “certified organic” label has become a marketing tool. The film reveals that in spite of the corporations of organic, the original grassroots philosophy is making a comeback in many innovative forms.

Realizing that organic is not the all-encompassing solution to our health and environmental problems, Kip travels all over the country to unearth inspiring stories of local family farmers dedicated to stewardship of the land, a thriving “locavore” subculture centered on farmer’s markets, chefs feeding children healthy school meals, and urban and school gardens sprouting up to bring fresh food to low-income communities.

Individual citizens and communities are taking matters into their own hands and change is happening from the ground up.

6:30pm Free Meditation
7:30pm Organic Dinner Offered $10 (dinner optional)
7:45pm Movie Screening
September 12th Friday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago