Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,324 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am from Los Angeles and looking to relocate to Chicago in November(actually New York is also in the options).

About Me
I am straight, single man,born in south east asia and in my 30s. Reasonably outgoing - but might become less so in Chicago (or New York) as I am looking for admission in a business major.

Accommodation preference
I am looking to rent an apartment around the Gold Coast or Lincoln Park in around 1250/mo.

Questions
This is one city in USA I havent even visited before, yet I can be moving in winter. Please throw some light

Life in The Chicago City
- how is the crime rate in those areas - can I walk back from gym to home at 11:00 PM on weekdays, and from night spots to home much later on weekends ?

- is there any late night public transport on weekends?

- which places are good for active nightlife in Chicago - if one lives in Gold Coast or Lincoln Park ?

Winter For a transplant

- is the winter really harsh from halloween to easter as some say?

- do people deliver food from restaurants to home in winter, or in snow you just stack up food and hibernate ?

- are their chilly winds all year, or the windy city is just for the political climate?

- are employers lenient about WFH during late November to January at least ?

Places to Visit
- is the lakeside like a fun beach as the pictures show, or is it more like the beaches we see in San Francisco, cold and gloomy 8 months a year?
- what are good attractions within 10 miles radius of those areas?
- any advise specific to Chicago if one wants to have a car in the place? I haven't lived in a snowy place - so may miss something very obvious.

thanks,

Last edited by enggrelo; 08-11-2014 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 11:42 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,276 times
I have lived in both cities, and while it takes a long time to do a really good comparison, I'll do my best to briefly pack a lot in.

Accommodations - What are you looking for in terms of an apartment? A studio? One bedroom? Open to having a roommate or two? If you're willing to live with another person, you most likely WILL be able to stay well within your price range in Lincoln Park or The Gold Coast. You also will likely be able to find a studio in both neighborhoods for around that price. One bedroom - most likely not. In all situations, you will likely be living in older apartments, but you might be able to find ones in Lincoln Park that are a bit larger for the same price than in the Gold Coast.

Crime - As in all cities - always be aware. Most of Chicago's crime is concentrated on clustered South and West Side neighborhoods. Still - you have to be careful. I always walked alone around 11PM at night in these areas when I lived there and I was fine. In terms of leaving bars, I'd take a train, bus, or Uber it. I did the same in New York, and do the same in LA. In pretty much all cities - I'd say try not to walk home past 2AM at night alone for long distances. Never was a victim of a crime in Chicago, and never knew anyone who was.

Nightlife - I loved the night life in Chicago! There are plenty of 4AM bars (5AM on weekends) and the city was very vibrant at night. Gold Coast, Lakeview, River North, Wicker Park, Logan Square, Bucktown, to name a few, are the top nightlife hubs serving many different cliques.

Transportation - It's MUCH better in Chicago than LA, and overall, the city of Chicago is simply much more easy to live in without a car and navigate, mostly because it is a much more centralized city than LA. Getting from point A to point B and then to point C is much more doable. The red and blue lines (Red will serve your area) run 24 hours 7 days a week, and nearly all major streets have 24 hour buses that also connect trains. Most other trains run 22+ hours, stopping a bit after 2 AM and resuming right before or after 4 AM. You will be able to take trains and buses home or to bars 24 hours in Chicago.

Winters - They suck, and you will struggle. But you'll live. I did, you will, and you will miss LA in this regard, I promise! It is NOT winter like or chilly on Halloween. Winters usually don't start until right after December, but lately the've been starting around Thanksgiving and ending in early April!

Too many questions, but I hope this is a good start.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enggrelo View Post
Winter For a transplant

- is the winter really harsh from halloween to easter as some say?
It's all relative. For you coming from SoCal, it will be harsh. For me moving here from Wisconsin, it is mild.

Quote:
- do people deliver food from restaurants to home in winter, or in snow you just stack up food and hibernate ?
Life goes on in the winter just as it does the rest of the year. People go to work, go out to bars, go out to eat, and live their lives. The real hearty types still recreate outside (though most people tend to shift to more indoor activities). It is only the most extreme snow/cold events that stop things in their tracks, and these may happen a couple of days per year, if at all. Last winter was particularly bad.

Quote:
- are their chilly winds all year, or the windy city is just for the political climate?
The "Windy City" thing is total B.S., and was based on the boastfulness of Chicago's boosters in the late 19th Century. Chicago is not more or less windy than average, though you can get some "wind tunnel effect" between skyscrapers downtown.

Quote:
- are employers lenient about WFH during late November to January at least ?
See comment above about life going on normally in the winter. Everyone is expected to be at work unless there is a major snow/cold emergency. I think I have been excused from work exactly one day over the last 12 years, and that was the big blizzard of 2011. You may find that your employer is understanding about being a bit late during weather events, however.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 08-12-2014 at 09:24 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 09:02 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
I think Nafster said it really well.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times

Old 08-12-2014, 01:43 PM

605 posts, read 712,546 times
I disagree that winter starts in late December. It is, in fact, COLD on most Halloweens (and it usually rains, too). Most kids wear coats over their costumes. Only very occasionally is it mild enough to go without a coat. Or, because of the rain, there is no trick or treating at all... So while you might not get "winter" (i.e., snow, below zero) until later, it will be cold and wet and generally unpleasant from Halloween until May. This year, our "summer" has been anything but. Today is cold yet again. The only upside is we save on our A/C bill. But I would rather have a nice hot summer to offset the misery that is inflicted upon us for the rest of the 8 months here...

The Windy City was named that because of politics, but I do think we have lots of biting wind during the cold months (anyone with a dog who is forced to go out and walk said dog all year long will agree with me). And downtown between the buildings can be a nightmare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZvmHs3Q-H8

I agree about the safety - have lived here my whole life and it's very safe. I would walk in those neighborhoods at night and not worry one bit.

I think you will find it nice here on many levels - great people, great restaurants and nightlife, but for me, the weather, traffic, taxes and corrupt government/unions far outweigh whatever positives Chicago has. I think because you are coming from somewhere really nice, those negatives may be more pronounced. If you were coming from say Wisconsin (as someone else mentioned), you might think it was great here.

Just my opinion.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:58 PM

596 posts, read 821,473 times
Is the extreme weather worth living in Chicago, especially if it's not your hometown? Is the city so great that it overrides brutal winters and humid summers? I guess I will have to find out for myself.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:06 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,174,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Is the extreme weather worth living in Chicago, especially if it's not your hometown? Is the city so great that it overrides brutal winters and humid summers? I guess I will have to find out for myself.
I grew up near Portland, Oregon but have lived in Chicago now for most of the past 20 years. I love it, even if winters do occasionally test that love.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:17 PM

596 posts, read 821,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I grew up near Portland, Oregon but have lived in Chicago now for most of the past 20 years. I love it, even if winters do occasionally test that love.
That's good to hear. I'm from Southern California and I have always wanted to live in a more compact, clean, not flashy, world class city. And it seems Chicago fits that bill. I've heard it also has a great american feel to it which is a bonus. Emathias, do they keep the L somewhat clean? I have a little bit of OCD as you can tell.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:33 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,174,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
That's good to hear. I'm from Southern California and I have always wanted to live in a more compact, clean, not flashy, world class city. And it seems Chicago fits that bill. I've heard it also has a great american feel to it which is a bonus. Emathias, do they keep the L somewhat clean? I have a little bit of OCD as you can tell.
The lines that run 24-7 (Blue and Red) tend to be dirtier than the lines that shut down for a few hours every night. And in the winter the snow makes everything where outside shoes go dirtier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago