Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,851 times

Advertisements

Considering a work transfer and the one place I found with a good price point was right by the station. I would be moving from the region but out of state, in WI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 05:23 PM

498 posts, read 725,491 times
No

Old 09-16-2014, 06:38 PM

422 posts, read 813,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bali Hai View Post
Considering a work transfer and the one place I found with a good price point was right by the station. I would be moving from the region but out of state, in WI.
Don't take this question the wrong way, (this question has to do with the Chicago's historic racial segregation patterns and not meant to be a personal endorsement of segregation) are you African American? If the answer is yes then living in that neighborhood might suit your needs, it is a relatively stable (by inner city standards) middle class black neighborhood. It is near Chicago State University and that along with CTA and Metra access helps that immediate area, of course there are still pockets of bad areas and problems and because the 95th Red line is such a feeder station for buses from all kinds of neighborhoods sometimes suspicious people will be near the station. If you are not African American you might feel like a fish out of water in that area and given the unfortunate segregation patters in Chicago you might become a target to the lesser elements who live there even though a vast majority of the people living there are just average working and middle class families who will live and let live. There is a slightly more upscale area called Pill-Hill a bit further to the east but still almost all African American, just more exclusively middle to upper middle class. The area with the largest non African-American population nearby would be in the Pullman Historic District which is bounded by 111th Street, Cottage Grove, 115th Street and I-94/Calumet Expressway, this area has a Metra station right there and the 95th Red Line station is a short bus ride away.

I have experience with this conundrum because I have a friend who works at Chicago State University who happens to be white and takes public transportation from the near west side everyday and while he wouldn't want to live there for reasons I stated earlier he has no problem with working there nor with interacting with people in the neighborhood on a daily basis.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:09 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
The areas just east of it aren't as bad as people think. I wouldn't call it NICE but yeah..

Old 09-16-2014, 09:22 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,600,737 times
I'd go over to Beverly area if i were wanting to live that far south.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:49 PM

103 posts, read 151,246 times
NE Morgan Park is pretty nice as well.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:34 PM

498 posts, read 725,491 times
Here's more on the area:

Roseland, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://homicides.redeyechicago.com/n...hood/roseland/

18 murders in the community area last year with a population of 44k people (and really less, that's a 2010 estimate). So that's 40 people/100k. So it's about as safe as Detroit

Old 09-16-2014, 10:56 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times
Roseland isn't "nice" but parts of Beverly and Morgan Park are very nice and not far away. Pill Hill isn't bad either but it's no Beverly.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:41 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Roseland isn't "nice" but parts of Beverly and Morgan Park are very nice and not far away. Pill Hill isn't bad either but it's no Beverly.
The area of Roseland north of the junction near Chicago State is not bad at all. That census tract's median household income is actually above the national average unlike much of Roseland. In case people have never been there, it looks like a normal not run down neighborhood:

http://goo.gl/maps/OL8dG

Old 09-17-2014, 06:11 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,223,084 times
I wouldn't live there. If you must live in the area, move to Beverly or Morgan Park, as has been suggested. It used to be a bit nicer years ago. I was at the 95th and Dan Ryan station when I was in Chicago last year and I could see how much it has changed. I used to live in Roseland before it reached it's final decline (it was still safe and decent then). I don't know if I'd recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: