Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:12 AM

6 posts, read 10,887 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

My and my wife and our 10 month old son are moving to Chicago next month. I'll be working in the loop area right next to Willis Tower. My goal is to live within walking distance to a METRA station. My wife likes Rogers Park area and we have found few nice apartments in RP area on Greenleaf ave. Is it a safe area? From the reviews I have read, it seems like blocks around Howard are not that good while Morse is way better. I was kinda surprised at the apartment prices as they seemed low to me ($1575 for a 3BD/2BA large apartment with 5 min walk to Morse METRA) which made me wonder if property value is terrible post recession which has in turn impacted the area. I know its not Lincoln Park or Lakeview so there will definitely be a difference in price but just trying to make sure if its safe enough to take a walk to the station especially when it gets dark early during winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 08:23 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times
You'd be looking at upwards of a 60 minute commute each way, and you'd be living in a so-so neighborhood. With $1600/month to spend I would look at an area like Oak Park, which is the first suburb just west of the city limits (...a suburb, yes, but it is largely indistinguishable from most city neighborhoods). It's much safer, much more family-friendly and would only be about 30 minutes to Willis Tower.

Rogers Park -- Crime in Chicagoland | Chicago Tribune

If you're willing to commute an hour each way, there are numerous family-friendly, Metra-connected suburbs with walkable downtown districts that might be of interest. I'm in my twenties, work a block from the Willis tower, have a wife and toddler and live in a suburb 25 miles west of the city. My commute time on Metra is <60 mins each way. If you are interested, repost this to the "Chicago Suburbs" forum.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:31 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,999 times
Would it really take 60 minutes to take the Metra from Rogers Park to the Loop?

Old 09-24-2014, 08:36 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times
Upwards of, yes.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Greenleaf Ave close to Morse METRA a safe pocket in RP?-rogers-park-willis-tower-metra-commute.jpg  

Old 09-24-2014, 08:39 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Upwards of, yes.
According to Metra timetables, the ride from RP to Ogilvie is around 23-25 minutes.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:54 AM

Thanks guys! I guess METRA commutes vary by time of day. It may take 30 mins in the mornings and evenings but may take more at other times of day. We are also looking in OP which seems nice too. I read on other threads that west of OP is safer than the east side with a shorter train commute. I'll repost this in the suburbs forum to get more insight.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:58 AM

183 posts, read 338,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
You'd be looking at upwards of a 60 minute commute each way, and you'd be living in a so-so neighborhood. With $1600/month to spend I would look at an area like Oak Park, which is the first suburb just west of the city limits (...a suburb, yes, but it is largely indistinguishable from most city neighborhoods). It's much safer, much more family-friendly and would only be about 30 minutes to Willis Tower.

Rogers Park -- Crime in Chicagoland | Chicago Tribune

If you're willing to commute an hour each way, there are numerous family-friendly, Metra-connected suburbs with walkable downtown districts that might be of interest. I'm in my twenties, work a block from the Willis tower, have a wife and toddler and live in a suburb 25 miles west of the city. My commute time on Metra is <60 mins each way. If you are interested, repost this to the "Chicago Suburbs" forum.

It is NOT A 60 MIN. COMMUTE TO THE LOOP ON METRA FROM RP. That is just incorrect. I have taken that route for 10 years. It is less than 20 min. You must be thinking of the Morse 'L' stop. The RP METRA stop is called "Rogers Park". It could take about 40 minutes to the Loop BY L during the rush. Greenleaf would be an ideal street to live on if you take the Metra. I have lived in the RP/Edgewater neighborhoods for many years. I have never been the victim of a crime. If original poster would say what their past experience is with urban living, it would be easier to say if RP would be a good fit or just seem scary to you. If you can't tolerate an occasional shooting in your neighborhood, then nope it's not the place for you, but rents are going to be much higher elsewhere. It has alot going for it. At the neighborhood farmers market Sunday, a neighbor and I were just saying what a well kept secret it is.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:00 AM

Metra runs by a time table and the commute times do NOT vary by more than a minute or 2. The EL is not nearly so efficient. Loading lots of passengers at each stop (there must be 10 from RP to Loop) during the rush times, slows down the commute.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:28 AM

Yes it should be a 20 min train ride from RP to OTC. I should have mentioned RP train station instead of Morse becasue I was looking at google maps and not on metra system map. We are currently in Columbus, OH and have had no urban experience in the past (which is why safety concern is emphasized). Having said that any urban neighborhood may not sound like an option for us but we don't really want to limit our options by only looking at the burbs. Also it'd be nice to live close to work and get some urban experience. I am trying to get idea around how much is it safe during day if my wife has to take the kid out for a walk and in night if we are returning from a dinner or something. Thanks!

Old 09-24-2014, 12:37 PM

RP would be like jumping into the deep end for you, I'm afraid. It does have higher crime than some other neighborhoods that also have everything you want. I recommend the Ravenswood neighborhood for you. There is a Metra stop, "Ravenswood", on Lawrence Ave. you could walk to. Same Metra line as RP, but even closer to Willis Tower. You'd have only one stop before pulling into the station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago