Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:55 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,668,344 times

Advertisements

I woke up to a typical Chicago day: Cold, gray, blustery, the sky completely obscured by dark clouds with no sunlight shining through. And then I took a half hour to get ready: scarves, boots, gloves... tshirt, turtle neck, sweater. Thick socks, boots. And then I stepped outside, bracing for the cold...

But it was warm and balmy. The air smelled like... spring. I'm going outside for another walk around the city with friends. Enjoy it while you can, folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 01:40 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,817,868 times
It's been doing this almost every winter for the last few years... We had a rough December, but there was a December a few years ago where it seemed like it hit 60 degrees almost half of the month. It's not unusual now for a Chicago winter to have temps ranging from 60 degrees to -10 degrees. It's really really strange... I don't remember this happening at all when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's. Global warming anyone?

Old 01-06-2008, 03:17 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,094,659 times
It was lovely .... I took the tarp off the bike, started it up (it took a bit of work since I haven't ridden in about six weeks), and went for a ride.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:39 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,513,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It's been doing this almost every winter for the last few years... We had a rough December, but there was a December a few years ago where it seemed like it hit 60 degrees almost half of the month. It's not unusual now for a Chicago winter to have temps ranging from 60 degrees to -10 degrees. It's really really strange... I don't remember this happening at all when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's. Global warming anyone?
Its not global warming, it is just a huge low pressure system passing through that is pulling up warm moist air from the Gulf. This sort of thing happens every year, but do to the media hype about global warming we blame it on that. But every year at least once or twice we will have a few warm days mixed in amidst the crappy windy 20 degree days we expect as Chicagoans in January.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:15 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,817,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Its not global warming, it is just a huge low pressure system passing through that is pulling up warm moist air from the Gulf. This sort of thing happens every year, but do to the media hype about global warming we blame it on that. But every year at least once or twice we will have a few warm days mixed in amidst the crappy windy 20 degree days we expect as Chicagoans in January.
Well sure, global warming is quite gradual--typically a fraction of a degree each year. But the weather patterns are becoming affected on a larger scale now, so I wouldn't rule it out. This NEVER happened thirty years ago. In fact, today's temperature was a record high for this date in history.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:16 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,644,182 times
Quote:
I remember once at the end of January in 1997 the temp was over 70. I remember many times in the 80's and 90's when temps got over 50 in Dec,Jan,Feb...

Old 01-06-2008, 10:25 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,513,529 times
Quote:
Well sure, global warming is quite gradual--typically a fraction of a degree each year. But the weather patterns are becoming affected on a larger scale now, so I wouldn't rule it out. This NEVER happened thirty years ago. In fact, today's temperature was a record high for this date in history.
This never happened 30 years ago??? You're right, it happened more like over a hundred years ago. Tomorrow's record was also set in 1907 and was some 60 degrees. Weather | WGNTV.com | Chicago's CW I guess... nope warm fluke days never happened in the past.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:07 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,644,633 times
I don't really blame people for thinking any change in weather is because of global warming, because that's what the media says everyday (And please don't think I am some press hating type - I majored in journalism) But when writers and editors who know very little about an incredibly complex subject and try their best to disseminate that information to people who know even less on the subject than they do, there are always going to be issues.

There are some places on Earth who are seeing real change from global warming (like polar bears who are drowning because they can't swim from iceberg to iceberg anymore) But Chicago? Not yet guys.

It's kind of like that El Nino effect - remember when everything could be blamed on El Nino?

Old 01-07-2008, 08:26 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,421,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I woke up to a typical Chicago day: Cold, gray, blustery, the sky completely obscured by dark clouds with no sunlight shining through. And then I took a half hour to get ready: scarves, boots, gloves... tshirt, turtle neck, sweater. Thick socks, boots. And then I stepped outside, bracing for the cold...

But it was warm and balmy. The air smelled like... spring. I'm going outside for another walk around the city with friends. Enjoy it while you can, folks!
You should flip on the Weather Channel from time to time. It would have been no shock that it was supposed to be this warm, they forecasted it almost a week ago. And I agree, Im not a fan of this weather in January, this is March weather, I dont like it. Its supposed to be cold and I want it to be cold!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:31 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,221,630 times
They said there's a very slight chance today will surpass the all time January high temp of 67!! I wish this weather would just stay around for another 6 weeks. I miss strolling around at lunch when I'm not all bundled up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago