Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,712 times

Advertisements

I am a native Chicagoan. Born and raised in Lincoln Square, lived in the city, in various neighborhoods, for nearly 30 years. Have been on the East Coast since 2010. I am thinking about moving back. However, all my good friends and former work colleagues have not only left the city, but many have moved out of state as well. The only reason I would want to move back is to be nearer family and the memory of what I love about Chicago. Having said that, nearly to a person, people are telling me not to move back, that the city is in BIG trouble, and from everything I can read about the city, it seems to be a fairly accurate statement. I left just as the last Daley fiasco, selling the parking meter rights, was kicking in full force. My questions is this. Is there anything out there showing Chicago has a bright future and is not going to be the next Cleveland or Detroit? Is the city doing anything to attract tech business into the city? Can the real estate market sustain itself? Just a quick glance and it looks like a lot of neighborhoods are heading into another bubble. I would love to come back, but not if it is financially stupid to do so. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 12:41 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times
I've lived here for over 25 years and I think Chicago is doing fine. Many neighborhoods have gentrified and there is demand to live in the city from young people moving from other parts of the Midwest and the suburbs. There are only a couple of places that are dense enough to support a truly urban, car free existence and Chicago is one of them. Many businesses are relocating into the city to attract tech talent. Moderate sized houses in Lincoln Park go for over a million dollars and that shows you how much healthier Chicago is than a lot of other cities.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:24 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
It's hard to tell what would happen - the economy is growing and there's a bunch of new residential high rises going up right now and more about to start. Bunch of new hotels going on too as well as a bunch of public park type of stuff (riverwalk extension, 606, etc). Then there's some weird economic stuff going on. The city is in the middle of a big shift and there are things growing even with news about the economic stuff you've heard.

I think it'll be fine, but you never know what'll happen. In the meantime right now it's doing fine.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:34 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge90 View Post
My questions is this. Is there anything out there showing Chicago has a bright future and is not going to be the next Cleveland or Detroit? Is the city doing anything to attract tech business into the city?
It's been happening for the last 5-7 years. Chicago is currently the 3rd fastest tech market of any MSA in the country after Seattle and Houston. No, it's not like Silicon Valley but it's growing pretty fast.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ech-job-growth

J.B. Pritzker on the State of Chicago Tech, Tech Bubbles and Silicon Valley | Chicago Inno

Quote:
Can the real estate market sustain itself? Just a quick glance and it looks like a lot of neighborhoods are heading into another bubble. I would love to come back, but not if it is financially stupid to do so. Any thoughts?
Yes there's a decent amount of construction going on now. The housing market is crazy - I have a friend who owns in Lakeview - bought something a few years ago for pretty cheap. The value of his condo has gone up 50% in 2 years.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:34 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
I'm from Detroit. If you think Chicago has anything in common with Detroit you must have not ever been to one of them.

As far as municipal finances, Chicago is likely a ways off from a collapse. When it does happen, it probably won't Directly affect anyone but city employee pension holders and institutional bond holders.

Ha...I read recently that Detroits new bonds will likely be rated AAA if you can believe that.

It's not quite as terrible an issue as people think. The debt is likely held by hundreds of institutions and they will get something back on the dollar anyway and move on.

If you mean the demographics of the city, some neighborhoods are likely better and some worse than when you left.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:03 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I mean this in the nicest possible way, but JB Pritzker is about as useless as poopy flavored lollipop.

If he knows so much about tech start ups why does GrubHub not have him on the Board -- GrubHub, Inc. - Investors - Governance - Board of Directors

Or Groupon --
https://www.groupon.com/press/our-le...utm_campaign=0

He is big fat old entitled political insider with the ability to live with subpar returns because his grandfather started a company worth billions -- J.B. Pritzker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a HUGE reason most of the real tech leaders tend to have strongly little l libertarian leanings, they know first hand that spending time at "gala fundraisers" is a pathetically inefficient way to actual accomplish anything of value. The insiders that use the real estate deals to artificially pump up the desirability of Chicago could learn a whole lot from how towns in Silicon Valley could not give two you-know-whats about some ridiculous office site... Google, LinkedIn and other companies propose 6 million square feet of offices for north Mountain View - San Jose Mercury News

Old 05-07-2015, 08:18 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I mean this in the nicest possible way, but JB Pritzker is about as useless as poopy flavored lollipop.

If he knows so much about tech start ups why does GrubHub not have him on the Board -- GrubHub, Inc. - Investors - Governance - Board of Directors

Or Groupon --
https://www.groupon.com/press/our-le...utm_campaign=0

He is big fat old entitled political insider with the ability to live with subpar returns because his grandfather started a company worth billions -- J.B. Pritzker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a HUGE reason most of the real tech leaders tend to have strongly little l libertarian leanings, they know first hand that spending time at "gala fundraisers" is a pathetically inefficient way to actual accomplish anything of value. The insiders that use the real estate deals to artificially pump up the desirability of Chicago could learn a whole lot from how towns in Silicon Valley could not give two you-know-whats about some ridiculous office site... Google, LinkedIn and other companies propose 6 million square feet of offices for north Mountain View - San Jose Mercury News
OMG you need to leave Chicago and get a bunker from a aging hippy in Idaho, and prepare for a national collapse? You are always pessimistic.... yet remain in Chicago? Are you too poor to GET OUT? And should we take a donation for you?

I don't know what political leanings you have? But why stay in the city if you abhor all about it????

Old 05-08-2015, 09:25 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Sometimes people let their political leanings color everything. With regard to the posters questions, he does not say where exactly he lives now or what his prospects are there compared to here. So its hard to give him advice. Chicago is not going to collapse, its not going to go away but there are tough times ahead for the city and state. The question is separating the news you see on TV and assessing how it affects you. It does not really affect me that much...yes I pay high taxes but I believe that is a given regardless of political party. I look at some of my family members who have moved away...did they really go to a better place than the Chicago area? Oklahoma....Jacksonville, FL, Atlanta, Philadelphia....really? I'd druther be here.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:20 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Chicago is not going to collapse, its not going to go away but there are tough times ahead for the city and state.
we're talking about a major, major global city, an absolute essential to the United States in the role it plays. one would have to be an idiot to think (1) that Chicago could "collapse" and (2) if it were to do so, that it wouldn't be totally devastating to the US and everyone of its major cities if it were to happen. I would hate to think of what would become of New York or Los Angeles if Chicago collapses.

so, ToriaT, I say "spot on"…..you've hit this one on the nail.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:28 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge90 View Post
the memory of what I love about Chicago.
Best of luck.. but make sure you think long and hard about how this is impossible to move back to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: