Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 05:18 AM

867 posts, read 1,372,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Those areas are also slightly improving right now.
Especially if the library is built in Washington park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 02:49 PM

241 posts, read 465,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post

Would we have moved to Pilsen if we did it any other way? Probably not. But we have absolutely no regrets.

We stayed there for 1.5 years and learned all about Chicago in that time -- including neighborhoods. Wouldn't have changed anything about it.

Good luck!
I've heard Pilsen is also a nice area. I wouldn't at all be opposed to living in a neighborhood other than the typical Lakeview or Lincoln Park, especially if it would make rent and parking cheaper and my commute shorter (potentially, as I know thats hard to know for sure especially not knowing where I'd be traveling). I just tended away from areas I didn't know much about or havent visited both for safety concerns (I'm ignorant to this area as I've lived in suburbia my whole life) and for concerns of not being close to the young area like LP and LV. For rent as cheap as your describing, I'd have no problem not living in LP or LV as long as I was a short commute/train ride there for night life and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella84 View Post
Based on your salary/rent budget, your need to park and sometime drive a car to the suburbs, and your need to sometimes take the train into downtown, your best bet would be to look on the west or north side of the city. Ideally you can find a neighborhood that has access to the train and relatively easy-to-find street parking and is still within a reasonable distance to the expressway. I think anything along the brown or blue line would best suit you. If you go further east, close to the lake and the red line, parking will be much more difficult or expensive. When I lived by the lake in East Lakeview several years ago, I paid $175 a month to park my car about 2.5 blocks away from where I lived. Street parking was impossible to find. As nice of a neighborhood as it is, I just wouldn't go back and live there again, unless I had a lot of discretionary spending money or didn't own a car. Plus, if you are going to need to get on the expressway to drive to the suburbs, you'll probably want to live somewhat closer to it than to the lake. I'd say you average roughly 10 minutes for every mile of city driving on the north side, so having to drive even three miles from the lake to the expressway would take about half an hour.

So, start by looking at neighborhoods on the north and west side that have either the blue or brown line running through them. Then do some research on those specific neighborhoods to find out if they meet your preferences in other ways.
Thank you for your extensive posts! So these neighborhoods would be like Logan Square, west part of LV, Bucktown/Wicker park?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:53 PM

184 posts, read 245,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
Thank you for your extensive posts! So these neighborhoods would be like Logan Square, west part of LV, Bucktown/Wicker park?
Yep! I lived in Roscoe Village and West Lakeview a few years back, and I took the brown line regularly from both. My roommate commuted to the expressway from both. We settled on those areas because it met my need for access to the train and her need for access to the expressway.

I'm not as familiar with the blue line, as I've never lived in a neighborhood that it ran through. However, it's been suggested to me on this board and by friends. The blue line neighborhoods would include Wicker Park, Bucktown, parts of Logan Square, as well as Irving Park and Avondale, based on what I've learned from other posters on this board. I'm sure there are other neighborhoods further north or south on the blue line to consider as well, and, of course, the same could be said for the brown line.

I should add... The neighborhoods that have the blue line running through them will have much easier access to the expressway than the neighborhoods that have the brown line running through them. However, the brown line neighborhoods aren't unreasonably far. I wouldn't say the same for the red line neighborhoods.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella84 View Post
Yep! I lived in Roscoe Village and West Lakeview a few years back, and I took the brown line regularly from both. My roommate commuted to the expressway from both. We settled on those areas because it met my need for access to the train and her need for access to the expressway.

I'm not as familiar with the blue line, as I've never lived in a neighborhood that it ran through. However, it's been suggested to me on this board and by friends. The blue line neighborhoods would include Wicker Park, Bucktown, parts of Logan Square, as well as Irving Park and Avondale, based on what I've learned from other posters on this board. I'm sure there are other neighborhoods further north or south on the blue line to consider as well, and, of course, the same could be said for the brown line.

I should add... The neighborhoods that have the blue line running through them will have much easier access to the expressway than the neighborhoods that have the brown line running through them. However, the brown line neighborhoods aren't unreasonably far. I wouldn't say the same for the red line neighborhoods.
Thank you so much, really. Picking a neighborhood in such a large city is a daunting task when you don't live anywhere near by (I'm a 3 hour flight away), so this helps so much. Being near both the trains and expressway is a major plus for me so I'm going to look at those areas for sure. As you said, living along the red line/lake would probably be lovely, but with my current employer may prove to be a hassle. I think maybe for my first year I can live in the neighborhoods you suggested and then reasses in a year when I learn more both about the city and my job in regards to how much/where I'm commuting.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:11 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,560,158 times
I just got an apartment and was originally looking in the same price range as you (1100-1500) and found such a perfect place steps away from the Paulina brown line stop that I went close to the top of the range at $1450. All of the below was done through Craigslist.

At first, I was looking in Pilsen just for a change of scenery. I spent a lot of time hanging out there on my own and viewed a bunch of apartments...kind of disappointing in the end. I love the look of Pilsen, one of the oldest neighborhoods in Chicago, and it is pretty close to downtown. But: 1) the apartments are either gorgeous and cheap and therefore have a large amount of competition from renters being priced out of South Loop -- I make mid-80s and still missed out on a $1200 apartment because there were applicants that made more than me -- or they're terrible rehab jobs that sit on the market for months, 2) the neighborhood can feel a bit sleepy, as the bars and restaurants have not reached the critical mass of even my old neighborhood western Avondale yet, and 3) public transit down there is not the best -- guaranteed you're going to feel isolated eventually.

Then I was looking in Ukrainian Village/West Town. You can definitely find some decent places within your budget there. Gorgeous neighborhood, very quiet side streets, yet close to downtown and a happening bar/restaurant scene. I didn't pull the trigger on any of the apartments I viewed because at the time my heart was set on Pilsen unless I found the perfect place.

And then...on a whim, I went to take a look at an apartment a few blocks from Wrigley that looked good in pics. Went up there on a Friday after a Cubs day game and knew right away this wasn't for me. Fortunately, the broker showing the place had another one up his sleeve away from that craziness. Recently renovated, deck out back, bedroom big enough for my queen bed, night stands and dresser, lots of counter space, new appliances, bright & sunny, separate dining room, etc. Too good to pass up. I'm moving in tomorrow.

In all, I spent about 3 weeks on the search and looked at probably 15 apartments, including the aforementioned Pilsen place I lost out on, before finding 'the one'. Just keep an open mind and be patient. The place I got wasn't even being advertised on Craigslist. Just pure luck.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
All of the below was done through Craigslist.

I've been looking on apartments.com and craigslist mostly. Ive thought about contacting a broker of some sort but I'm not sure if thats a good idea or not. I've heard good things and bad.

I'm also thinking its probably too early to look. Most I see now are for June and July. I'm looking to get a place starting sept 1st.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:41 PM

4 posts, read 3,275 times
I was in the same position when I moved to Chicago from out of state three years ago. I didn't know much about Chicago and didn't want to commit to a year lease only to find I hated the area. So, I ended up getting a short term sublet near work. In the two months of the sublet, I explored the city up and down. Every time I needed to go shopping or do something, I made sure to take the long way or find the Target (for example) on the other side of town and drive the surface streets.

Eventually I started noticing the same areas and how much I liked the vibe. I then narrowed my search and ended up in another short term sublet where I was able to renew the lease. I ended up in Lakeview East and after three years still love it. The area around Belmont and Broadway is really nice. All sorts of different people and not "fratty" at all. Wrigleyville is still far enough away where you don't get the spill over.
LVE has a lot of prewar apartments and 50's/60's apartments. There's quite a bit of fancy rehab (Reside) that will set you back $$$$$ each month, but if you put in the effort, you can find some decent and nice sized 1-bedroom prewars for around $1200 including utilities. (I prefer prewar because they are practically soundproof).

Parking anywhere on the north side is challenging at best but you start to learn the ebb and flow of street parking and with time will know when and where you can find a spot. Also, west of Broadway is permit only so it gets a little better. Another great secret is hospital parking garages. They are your friend in times of need.

Having said all this, I'm buying a condo in Uptown and am looking to sublet my 1-bedroom in August. Feel free to reach out if interested.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West9 View Post
I ended up in Lakeview East and after three years still love it. The area around Belmont and Broadway is really nice. All sorts of different people and not "fratty" at all. Wrigleyville is still far enough away where you don't get the spill over.
LVE has a lot of prewar apartments and 50's/60's apartments. There's quite a bit of fancy rehab (Reside) that will set you back $$$$$ each month, but if you put in the effort, you can find some decent and nice sized 1-bedroom prewars for around $1200 including utilities. (I prefer prewar because they are practically soundproof).

Parking anywhere on the north side is challenging at best but you start to learn the ebb and flow of street parking and with time will know when and where you can find a spot. Also, west of Broadway is permit only so it gets a little better. Another great secret is hospital parking garages. They are your friend in times of need.

Having said all this, I'm buying a condo in Uptown and am looking to sublet my 1-bedroom in August. Feel free to reach out if interested.
LVE is definitely on my radar! Sounds like what I'm looking for in that its the benefits of LV and LP type of vibe but far enough from wrigglyville. I just really didnt like that area. Despite the fact that I'm a recent college grad and still early 20s, I just don't want to be around too much craziness all the time. I definitely like bars and clubs but not constantly/every night and not like wrigglyville was.

Did you find that it was hard to get to the highways from that far east? Based on posters here, I'm afraid of a 30 minute drive just to even get to the highway. And the parking is a concern for me. I'd even consider paying for a close by garage if I could keep my total housing costs under $1200-1300.

Thank you for your offer! I'd love to hear more about it. If you'd like to pm me we can certainly discuss it!

Old 05-22-2015, 07:44 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times
West lakeview is probably too tame for you based on your description of what you are looking for. If you're willing to stretch your budget I'd look for something in the West Loop or near UIC. That will provide better access to the freeway.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 3,275 times
Quote:
Did you find that it was hard to get to the highways from that far east?
Yes, it's a hike to the expressway. Not distance but traffic congestion and most of the E/W streets are one lane each direction. And Chicago has an obsession with four-way stops at every intersection. The signs or lights are over to the side and usually hidden behind shrubbery so take care!

Where would you be commuting to for work? (I assume that's why you would take the expressway). If it's downtown, you would never want to go that route. You would take LSD, surface streets, or public transportation.
If you definitely need to take the expressway on a regular basis than I would consider other neighborhoods much closer. If it's just on occasion than it's tolerable.

I'm not sure where you're moving from but one thing to keep in mind with Chicago, and any other big city, seemingly short distances can make a huge difference. One mile away may as well be on the other side of the planet at times

As for parking, it's definitely a hassle but you learn to deal with it. Or you get rid of your car. For most of America that sounds like blasphemy but you really don't need one here.

I would say, find the place you really like and worry about the parking later. Plan to hunt for street parking for the first few weeks. It's a lot easier to figure out when you living in an area and can see the situation on a day to day basis.

One anecdote from my own experience, when I moved here I would get really upset if I couldn't find a parking spot on my street. I would be very angry if I had to park around the block. Fast forward a couple months later and I'd be overjoyed to find a close spot four blocks away :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago