Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 12:06 PM

241 posts, read 465,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West9 View Post
Where would you be commuting to for work? (I assume that's why you would take the expressway). If it's downtown, you would never want to go that route. You would take LSD, surface streets, or public transportation.
If you definitely need to take the expressway on a regular basis than I would consider other neighborhoods much closer. If it's just on occasion than it's tolerable.
Thats the issue, I really don't know where or how often. In my industry, we usually work from the client's site, which can be anywhere from the loop to the suburbs (the deerfield area, for example, is one of the areas I drove to over my internship). Believe me, I'd love to ditch my car and just fully experience the urban lifestyle but my job won't allow for it :/ in fact, they specifically state that we will need access to a car. If, after 6 or so months of working, I see that I primarily don't drive, I'd be glad to sell my car and just rent on occasions if I need to. For now though, I'll need my car and may very well need to use it daily.

Thats sort of why I'm thinking LV might not be the best idea, just because its so far east. I'm not sure if LP would have the same issue, because thats where I'd really like to live. I'd also really like Wicker Park and maybe that should be more of my target area considering the fact that its closer to the expressway. For some reason, however, I'm having more of a hard time finding studios or 1 bedrooms in that area, and in my price range. They seem to be more 2 bdrs which I can't afford due to my lack of roommates at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 02:09 PM

184 posts, read 245,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
Thats sort of why I'm thinking LV might not be the best idea, just because its so far east. I'm not sure if LP would have the same issue, because thats where I'd really like to live. I'd also really like Wicker Park and maybe that should be more of my target area considering the fact that its closer to the expressway. For some reason, however, I'm having more of a hard time finding studios or 1 bedrooms in that area, and in my price range. They seem to be more 2 bdrs which I can't afford due to my lack of roommates at the time.
I don't think you would find it to be as difficult to get the expressway from LP as in LV. If you look at a map, the expressway gets further away from the lake the further north you go. So, in LP, the expressway would be closer to the lake than it is in LV. However, living on the east end of either of the two neighborhoods, it is going to prove difficult to find parking, and you won't have quick, easy access to the expressway from either neighborhood. Living on the west side of either neighborhood wouldn't be as bad in either regard, and I disagree with the poster who said that you would West Lakeview too tame. It's a great balance, IMHO, for someone who enjoys going out but not every single night and wants to be able to walk places but also have a quiet neighborhood. There are many bars, restaurants, and shops in the vicinity, and, although they can be, they don't have to be right outside your door. You would probably also be happy in Wicker Park or Bucktown, but you bring up a good point that I hadn't really thought of before about many places being out of budget or too large for one person.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:41 AM

241 posts, read 465,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella84 View Post
I don't think you would find it to be as difficult to get the expressway from LP as in LV. If you look at a map, the expressway gets further away from the lake the further north you go. So, in LP, the expressway would be closer to the lake than it is in LV. However, living on the east end of either of the two neighborhoods, it is going to prove difficult to find parking, and you won't have quick, easy access to the expressway from either neighborhood. Living on the west side of either neighborhood wouldn't be as bad in either regard, and I disagree with the poster who said that you would West Lakeview too tame. It's a great balance, IMHO, for someone who enjoys going out but not every single night and wants to be able to walk places but also have a quiet neighborhood. There are many bars, restaurants, and shops in the vicinity, and, although they can be, they don't have to be right outside your door. You would probably also be happy in Wicker Park or Bucktown, but you bring up a good point that I hadn't really thought of before about many places being out of budget or too large for one person.
Yeah I see what you mean about the expressway. I wasn't sure but I figured that would be the case, so that's good news. Like I said my ideal neighborhood would be LP, I just hope I can get a place a bit bigger than a shoe box with parking at around $1200. I'll definitely look in west lakeview as well! Bucktown, wicker park, and even Logan square however all seem to have the same problem with not having that many small places. The prices are good I just don't have a roommate and don't want to get a random person to live with.

Maybe I should just blow up my budget and get a $1800 place downtown!! Hahhaha. Just kidding, I'd much rather have a bigger budget for fun stuff than for an apartment.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:40 PM

304 posts, read 364,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
This may seem like a strange question, but I'm wondering how some of you Chicagoans chose your neighborhoods. I included apartment in the title because I'm not exactly sure whether the "normal" way to do this is by choosing the neighborhood based on a good apartment or the apartment based on one or two neighborhoods that you've narrowed it down to. If that makes sense..

I'll be moving to Chicago around September, as I start work there mid September. I'm sort of starting to look at apartments now (too early?). I'm moving from the east coast, just graduated college, and will be working anywhere from the suburbs to the loop depending where my clients are, as I'm in a professional services field. I'm looking to be around other young professionals, but certainly wouldn't mind an area with some families mixed in. While I want to be around college grads, I definitely don't want to be in a frat boy haven. I definitely like to go out to bars and such, but I also enjoy trying out new restaurants, coffee shops, other activities like that. I certainly don't have to drink every weekend to have a good time. Certainly looking to make friends and meet other singles wherever I move, thats a priority.

From my limited knowledge of the city, I am basically thinking about the neighborhoods of River North, Gold Coast, Old town, Lincoln Park, and probably the more south half of Lakeview. As I said I'm not interested in the frat boy scene so I don't want to be around wriggleyville which is why i say south lakeview (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here). I'm also going to look into Bucktown/Wicker Park, although I'm not as sure if they fit what I'm looking for, again I'd love any input! Also, as I said I will possibly need to reverse commute, so I'll need a car and somewhere to park be it street parking or a garage/building.

I'd love to keep the rent under like 1200 or so. Could probably stretch it to 1500 for a place with everything I'm looking for, but I'd much rather be around 1000. Would prefer a 1 bdr but would be ok with a larger studio as well.

Would love any input, tips, guidance, etc!

Thanks in advance!
I'm from the East Coast too kid. About your age. Plus a few years. How'd I pick it? Do you bro. Be a man. You know more than well any of these neighborhoods are safe if you have any common sense. LP Is FratRat Alley & Greek life Row. I'm in Wrigleyville North, and there's a lot of people in late 20s/lower 30s.

I was living in NYC. Said "okay. Time to go". Bought a truck. Hopped in it. Drove out here. Saw an ad for an apartment outside the red line, on Broadway and Wilson. I said "word. This looks like downtown harlem. 800,000 l.b.s. of steel above my head. Okay I'll take it". Now I live somewhere else but. Yeah. Don't go too far west man. You want to be where the action is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago