Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 07:29 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerDude View Post
Yes. I will be working about three blocks from Union Station. To be honest, I can't see myself spending 1000 on rent unless all of these small cheap studios I am seeing online are complete frauds (and I am using reputable websites). They are all within walking distance of other more luxurious apartments, so it is not like they are in the middle of nowhere. I will visit to be sure, but I see studios for less than 900 that offer everything I want.
Prices are going up, so 3 years ago you could at the minimum get a $750/month studio in Lakeview, but it may have gone up by something like $100/month since. Just be sure to check the bed bug report since Chicago is one of the top 3 worst cities in the US for them (might be #1) ,in older buildings especially. You also want to see what's included in the rent. It's completely possible that one place is cheaper than another because it doesn't include some utility or utilities in the price of the rent. A lot of these places also have a move-in fee too, usually of $200-$250, so beware of that, plus any security deposit (usually 1 month's rent if there is one).

At the end of the day though it depends on your standard. I have a few friends who have lived in $750/month studios in Lincoln Park (near Clark St) as near as less than a year ago, but they weren't the best places. Not the best places, but far from terrible - adequate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 08:03 PM

19 posts, read 17,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Prices are going up, so 3 years ago you could at the minimum get a $750/month studio in Lakeview, but it may have gone up by something like $100/month since. Just be sure to check the bed bug report since Chicago is one of the top 3 worst cities in the US for them (might be #1) ,in older buildings especially. You also want to see what's included in the rent. It's completely possible that one place is cheaper than another because it doesn't include some utility or utilities in the price of the rent. A lot of these places also have a move-in fee too, usually of $200-$250, so beware of that, plus any security deposit (usually 1 month's rent if there is one).

At the end of the day though it depends on your standard. I have a few friends who have lived in $750/month studios in Lincoln Park (near Clark St) as near as less than a year ago, but they weren't the best places. Not the best places, but far from terrible - adequate.
Interesting. Yea I will have to check that out. I definitely don't want bed bugs. If I can manage to find a studio without any problems near transportation for under 1000 that would be fantastic. That is less than I have been paying recently, and I wouldn't have the expenses that come with leasing a car. I am thinking my COL might actually be lower in Chicago. But you make some good points, so I will be sure to check that stuff out when I visit. It might just be better to go for the studios in the 1000 range.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:33 PM

211 posts, read 212,140 times
Quote:
Prices are going up, so 3 years ago you could at the minimum get a $750/month studio in Lakeview, but it may have gone up by something like $100/month since. Just be sure to check the bed bug report since Chicago is one of the top 3 worst cities in the US for them (might be #1) ,in older buildings especially.
I am going to move to Chicago soon, and I had not thought of that! How does one get a so-called bedbug report?

Old 11-02-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWTEBO View Post
I am going to move to Chicago soon, and I had not thought of that! How does one get a so-called bedbug report?
Might want to start here:
Bed Bug Registry

Old 11-02-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Might want to start here:
Bed Bug Registry
Hey, can I get your (or anyone who is familiar) opinion on the area around 2244 N Cleveland Ave. There are some studios there for around 1000 and they look pretty good in my opinion.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:08 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,193,163 times
Quote:
Hey, can I get your (or anyone who is familiar) opinion on the area around 2244 N Cleveland Ave. There are some studios there for around 1000 and they look pretty good in my opinion.
It's Lincoln Park and it's nice. You'll be living near quite a lot of college students though as DePaul University is a short walk from that area. Lot's of amenities though, and you're a short walk to Lincoln Park (the actual park).

Old 11-02-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
That's Lincoln Park - nice area, quiet right there. One of the safest areas and one of the most desirable for real estate. A number of things (restaurants, shops, bars) are on both Clark and Lincoln pretty much from there and north for a handful of miles. The people who hang out there are a mix from college kids on up. Some families - expensive real estate in that area. Lincoln Park (the park) is right nearby as well as the Red Line train being a probably 10 minute walk away (runs 24/7) along with Brown and Purple Line (not 24/7). Clark Street has a few major bus lines too like the 22 and 36. The 22 bus runs 24/7. The actual residents who live in the area aren't very diverse racially, but as far as places to live - you could be in much, much worse areas than that - I'd personally see if I could get a little closer to a train line there, but that's me - it's still going to be a 10, possibly even longer minute walk to the train from there.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:14 PM

Well, I am all moved in. I got a really cool studio in Lincoln Park that has an awesome view of the city, and I am also right next to the park. Every time I visited Chicago in the past I only visited the downtown area, but now that I am here and have explored for a bit, I don't see myself going downtown much outside of work. There is just so much to do where I am, and Chicago is surprisingly a really good city for running. My studio is literally barren right now, but there is cool spot that sells decent furniture nearby. The women here aren't as attractive as where I lived previously, but that has more to do with where I resided before than Chicago itself.

It is really neat seeing all kinds of young people with families and older couples sprinkled in, as I think it gives the area a really cool energetic vibe without feeling like a college town. The architecture is stunning and it sort of feels like you are living in the middle of a movie with all of the interesting historic buildings. Lastly, I like that there are all kinds of free and inexpensive activities to enjoy. The museums, exploring, the park, and the beach come to mind.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:17 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default That was quick!

Quote:
Well, I am all moved in. I got a really cool studio in Lincoln Park that has an awesome view of the city, and I am also right next to the park. Every time I visited Chicago in the past I only visited the downtown area, but now that I am here and have explored for a bit, I don't see myself going downtown much outside of work. There is just so much to do where I am, and Chicago is surprisingly a really good city for running. My studio is literally barren right now, but there is cool spot that sells decent furniture nearby. The women here aren't as attractive as where I lived previously, but that has more to do with where I resided before than Chicago itself.

It is really neat seeing all kinds of young people with families and older couples sprinkled in, as I think it gives the area a really cool energetic vibe without feeling like a college town. The architecture is stunning and it sort of feels like you are living in the middle of a movie with all of the interesting historic buildings. Lastly, I like that there are all kinds of free and inexpensive activities to enjoy. The museums, exploring, the park, and the beach come to mind.
Glad things are working out. Folks that move into Lincoln Park really do get a very experience as far as access to local dining / night spots / shopping and very good access to work in the Loop. Driving / parking can be painful but as long as that is not currently part of the picture you'll be fine.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
The women here aren't as attractive as where I lived previously, but that has more to do with where I resided before than Chicago itself.
Haha - depends on where you go/when/etc. It's a crapshoot - trust me. Just spend more time around various areas. Glad you enjoy it though a few days in or whatever - Lincoln Park is a good area and you should really explore many other areas. You'd probably enjoy the area north of Lincoln Park too which is Lakeview. My favorite part is the part near the lake. Broadway, north of Diversey, has quite a bit of stuff. Any other places you want to know about or whatever, let us know. Where did you live before by the way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago