Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:27 PM

79 posts, read 353,452 times

Advertisements

just add the ticket price into what you are asking for the car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 06:39 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaman View Post
Thanks
I have not renewed the plates and will not because it is for sale. Also I forgot to mention before that the adresses were not the same but the car did not move.
Wait, you still have expired plates?

Well forget it then. Pay the bill and be thankfull they don't get you everyday.
Since you now seem to have 4 tickets you are eligiable for the boot.
If they boot your car (and they will in about 30 days) you will have to get your new plates before they release your car.

And those tickets WILL follow you even if you sell the car. If you ever own a car again in the city they will boot the new car based on the tickets from the old car.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiraiya View Post
you dont pay anything for those court costs...these are minor tickets...you go to court, stand before a judge and give your side of the story, judge says yes or no and you move on
Yes, you do pay court costs, because this is in essence an appeal, not an initial summons to appear. The filing fee is $95.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:10 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
If the ticket says you must appear in court or you want a hearing for tickets like this there is no filing fee. There is only a filing fee if you lose after contesting by mail or in person via a hearing and wish to file an appeal in court. Call the number listed to be sure and be prepared to be on hold for a long time.

If you have not renewed your plates why would you even challenge it? You will be found guilty and have to pay,pay,pay...

Old 04-30-2009, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,860 times
I would plead guilty to the first but contest the other one. Did they really expect you to get the car registered in those few hours between tickets? I don't think that's reasonable and I think you could easily argue that.

If you want any help, I've personally gotten out of MANY tickets. I wrote up a little guide on how I do it here - http://www.rbgrn.net/content/12-how-...ickets-and-win

Let me know how it goes!

btw - I lived in Chicago for 8 years. That's where I did all my ticket contesting.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:45 PM

35 posts, read 113,844 times
ask the parking ticket geek.. theexpiredmeter.com

Old 04-30-2009, 03:38 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
You know, they even ticketed me for expired TEXAS PLATES! So you can't do a fake plate scam if your plates are expired!

Old 06-24-2010, 12:24 AM

226 posts, read 641,374 times
Question Is it even worth trying to appeal parking citations?

Being as I'm fairly new to this city, I was parked in a free parking zone that becomes "non-free" on baseball game nights, something I had absolutely no idea about (and no intention to keep a baseball calendar in my room to follow up on such things).

Needless to say, I got a ticket.

Is it worth trying to appeal to the pity of the city, or will I just be wasting my breath?

Also, the street listed on the citation is wrong... I'm guessing I could use that to my advantage if I had taken pictures or something, but of course, hindsight is 20/20.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:46 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
If they have you dead to rights, don't bother. On one occasion I had photographic evidence of my innocence -- not even my photograph but the revenue agent's own photograph -- and the a-holes still found me liable. On two other occasions I had convincing proof of my innocence and the ticket was dismissed. So by my reckoning, even with sure-fire proof of your innocence you only have a 67% chance of getting the ticket dismissed. If you have no proof of innocence or if you're just flat-out guilty, they're going to find you liable. And going to a city administrative hearing isn't like going to a normal traffic court where they'll give you a reduced fine because you took the trouble to show up and plead guilty. If you show up and plead your case and they find you liable, they'll expect you to pay the full amount.

So to reiterate... don't bother. You will soon learn that this city hates your car and they will make you pay for owning one by way of stupid little ticky-tack tickets -- most technically violations of the law (but many still stupid-ass tickets) and the occasional ticket that's just plain made up out of thin air. The revenue agents who walk around issuing parking tickets are flat-out vultures, and occasionally lying vultures at that.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:54 AM

226 posts, read 641,374 times
Figured as much, thanks for the insight, Drover.

Guess the days of the sympathetic ol' college campus parking patrol officer are over, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago