Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,271 times

Advertisements

My partner & I are moving to Chicago this summer and we're trying to figure out where to live.

The convenience of living near downtown (near the magn mile) is VERY tempting as we love walking everywhere, and everything is just mins away, but the rent seems to be around ~$1700. It definitely feels worth it to pay more for the atmosphere and convenience, especially since we'll be working downtown. I'm wondering if an equally tempting case can be made for living in a neighboring community?

I'm interested in a clean, safe neighborhood where 1 bdroom rent around $1k is possible. Easy access to public transportation is a must. Walkability would be amazing for things like groceries. I would be open to apartment recommendations too if anyone has one that fits the bill!

We've done a ton of research but it's a big city so it's overwhelming. I'm sure you guys get this question a lot, so thanks for taking the time to answer yet another one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 11:35 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,452,690 times
If you will be working in the Loop it can be tempting to think that North Michigan Ave is walkably close, but in bad weather you will very likely be reliant on CTA. Further, the costs of EVERYTHING are significantly higher near North Michigan Ave than they are just a bit further away -- a neighborhood that has normal full sized Jewel grocery stores can save hundreds per year compared to the specialities stores in the "high rent" buildings. Fact is there is whole lot more nightlife in Lakeview or even Wicker Park than North Michigan Ave AND it a whole lot less costly to go to a local restaurant that caters to a normal people vs the jet setters that call North Michigan Ave home.

Most folks would say you encounter a whole lot more "real Chicago" in the neighborhoods than on North Michigan Ave where the hotels are filled with out of town visitors with expense accounts and transplants that really don't know the truly distinctive parts of Chicago.

I would go so far as to say you would even be better off in someplace like River North where there are at least some folks that are more authentically artsty and attuned to the kinds of living that is help gentrify the area.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:11 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,474,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you will be working in the Loop it can be tempting to think that North Michigan Ave is walkably close, but in bad weather you will very likely be reliant on CTA. Further, the costs of EVERYTHING are significantly higher near North Michigan Ave than they are just a bit further away -- a neighborhood that has normal full sized Jewel grocery stores can save hundreds per year compared to the specialities stores in the "high rent" buildings. Fact is there is whole lot more nightlife in Lakeview or even Wicker Park than North Michigan Ave AND it a whole lot less costly to go to a local restaurant that caters to a normal people vs the jet setters that call North Michigan Ave home.

Most folks would say you encounter a whole lot more "real Chicago" in the neighborhoods than on North Michigan Ave where the hotels are filled with out of town visitors with expense accounts and transplants that really don't know the truly distinctive parts of Chicago.

I would go so far as to say you would even be better off in someplace like River North where there are at least some folks that are more authentically artsty and attuned to the kinds of living that is help gentrify the area.
Sure, but their budget provides about 50% of what they'd need to get something decent on North Michigan Ave. or in River North, sheesh!

They could look at Pilsen, though it might be a challenge to find something big enough for them to comfortably share within that budget. The apartment stock there is old, small, and shabby chic (to put it nicely) and redevelopment of residential units hasn't yet caught up with the gentrification. So spacious charming units are in high demand and usually quite expensive.

They could also check out Bridgeport, which is fast becoming very hip and has better apartment stock than Pilsen presently. But again, not sure how good a $1k apartment would be there. Probably on the lower end. Beyond those two choices, I don't know of any areas where one would have much hope of getting a decent 1 bdr anywhere near the City center for a grand (unless they want to try EGP, LOL!). They may have to go out to Berwyn or maybe squeeze into a very modest unit in Oak Park.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:34 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,474,025 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

$2,200/month probably is low cost to this jet setter, heh. But the OP seems to be of more modest means. If the unit itself doesn't get them, the pricey fusion bistros and expensive coffee beverages probably will. So a thrifty unit in an up and coming area is probably the way to roll here.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-19-2016 at 09:41 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 05:50 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,995,431 times
$1,000 for a 1 br is low. I live between Lincoln Square and Andersonville and pay $975, but I pay for heat and hot water and I am about 3/4 of a mile to the closest L stop (though there are a couple of bus lines at the nearest big intersection.)

Old 01-19-2016, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,271 times
Thank you everyone so far for your input, it's been really helpful! Chet brought up some good points I hadn't considered before.

We can easily afford $1700 rent but the appeal of living 'downtown' is such that it would take significant savings to sway us to live farther away, if that makes sense.

Basically we're willing to do the 20+ min commute if rent is cheap & the community is nice. To clarify, the $1k budget is for rent straight up, utilities not included. I'm secretly hoping to find a gem out there with great amenities in that price range

Thanks again for the ideas!

Old 01-19-2016, 10:57 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,958,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittsa View Post
My partner & I are moving to Chicago this summer and we're trying to figure out where to live.

The convenience of living near downtown (near the magn mile) is VERY tempting as we love walking everywhere, and everything is just mins away, but the rent seems to be around ~$1700. It definitely feels worth it to pay more for the atmosphere and convenience, especially since we'll be working downtown. I'm wondering if an equally tempting case can be made for living in a neighboring community?

I'm interested in a clean, safe neighborhood where 1 bdroom rent around $1k is possible. Easy access to public transportation is a must. Walkability would be amazing for things like groceries. I would be open to apartment recommendations too if anyone has one that fits the bill!

We've done a ton of research but it's a big city so it's overwhelming. I'm sure you guys get this question a lot, so thanks for taking the time to answer yet another one
You could do that if you raised your budget slightly to something like $1200-$1300/month for a decent 1 bedroom in an area like Lakeview. You could get it for lower, sure, but with the range above you'll be getting a little better quality.You could probably find other places for slightly less in say Lincoln Square, but further away. Downtown is definitely not the only area with walkability and convenience. With what you pay downtown though, you could afford a 2 bedroom place in a variety of other neighborhoods that are walkable and have public transit.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:58 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,452,690 times
Default So I take it that reality is catching up with even the cheerleaders....

Apparently the skepticism about the affordability / livability of older rentals in the Gold Coast neighborhood has caught up to those who've long proclaimed it a wonderful option.

While there probably are still some units that do rent for less than market rates, experience suggests trying to plan on landing one of these "unicorns" is a poor strategy for those trying to build a realistic budget.

It is far more prudent to plan on having to spend a more typical rental amount and focusing on areas with a mix of options that are closer to the reported averages.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:53 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,952,660 times
You will encounter more real Chicagoans in the neighborhoods than in areas such as you mention, not that they are not nice.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:44 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,958,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Apparently the skepticism about the affordability / livability of older rentals in the Gold Coast neighborhood has caught up to those who've long proclaimed it a wonderful option.

While there probably are still some units that do rent for less than market rates, experience suggests trying to plan on landing one of these "unicorns" is a poor strategy for those trying to build a realistic budget.

It is far more prudent to plan on having to spend a more typical rental amount and focusing on areas with a mix of options that are closer to the reported averages.
Actually, I've given this advice many times before that downtown is not the only place for walkability and there are more affordable places. I have no idea what you're going on about here - I've even stated on here that I've considered moving outside of downtown before, but it's still a good option if you want to and can afford it.

Anyway, for an area like Lakeview, $1100 - $1300/month for a decent place is very very realistic. Other areas of town also come to mind like this that are on transit - Edgewater, Lincoln Square, Logan Square, etc. All of them are less expensive and have walkability but different vibes than downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago